Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
sounds like you are walking into a mint bike situation. Are they offering any warranty?

I have a 2012 that I bought with 3500 miles on it and haven't had any issues. I was just in for my 7500 mile service and got a very clean bill of health.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like you are walking into a mint bike situation. Are they offering any warranty?

I have a 2012 that I bought with 3500 miles on it and haven't had any issues. I was just in for my 7500 mile service and got a very clean bill of health.
Noahp they Don't have a warranty but of course he said he would fix anything if there was something wrong. The dealer has the bike up now for 7900 after dropping the price from 8600 from pictures looks super clean it's all stock. Only thing that worries me which may sound weird is that it only has 205 miles. Sounds extremely low for a 5 year old bike.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Grips, levers and bar ends are not stock. Looks like Rizoma grips.
Mirrors are not stock either and neither windscreen.
Original belly pan would be black and I am almost certain that the decals would be silver on the original. At least the Ducati+italian flag on the tail piece is missing.

I would say it looks like all the fairings has been changed but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Something is up, this is not a Ducati dealer I take it?

2011 EVO in all red? Bike has been laid down?
If it is and EVO the decals are missing on the side fairings as well.
Hard to tell from the pictures, but I'm very certain the red color of the fairings are off.

I would say: Walk away or at least inspect very very closely and get a warrant.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
If it is and EVO the decals are missing on the side fairings as well.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but I'm very certain the red color of the fairings are off.

I would say: Walk away or at least inspect very very closely and get a warrant.

Black engine case covers and 2011 it's suppose to be an EVO

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yep, judging from the picks I would say that this bike has been modded and isn't something that someone bought and garaged. I think the ecu's store milage onboard and doesn't transfer to a new bike I haven't been through this sort of swap before so hopefully someone can confirm or deny but I'd be willing to bet the ecu was taken off when it had low miles and put back on later when they demodded it. Maybe they had a full termignoni kit with ecu and sold it before trading the bike.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Yep, judging from the picks I would say that this bike has been modded and isn't something that someone bought and garaged. I think the ecu's store milage onboard and doesn't transfer to a new bike I haven't been through this sort of swap before so hopefully someone can confirm or deny but I'd be willing to bet the ecu was taken off when it had low miles and put back on later when they demodded it. Maybe they had a full termignoni kit with ecu and sold it before trading the bike.
Exactly what I was thinking, and yes I'm 99% sure the mileage is in the cluster not the ECU.

And this exhaust doesn't look like 200 miles but maybe it sat out in the rain and has never been cleaned.

To the OP other than mileage this isn't going for any less than most used 848 I've seen them with better history records for under 7k. I would do a lot of research on this bike before I pulled the trigger. The low mileage is tempting but another one of the same year with 3k miles with records would be a safer purchase.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not a Ducati dealer but it's also not someone on Craigslist just selling it. Looks like legit dealer, dealer says bikes is in good condition and has no motor or transmission work done to it and I apologize when I said stock I meant performance wise stuff like that cosmetics I realized that from the beginning that it was different.

Owner says if for some reason there was something wrong he would take care of it.

Worse come to worse what could be a big issue?

What are some things to look for?

Attachments

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
It's not a Ducati dealer but it's also not someone on Craigslist just selling it. Looks like legit dealer, dealer says bikes is in good condition and has no motor or transmission work done to it and I apologize when I said stock I meant performance wise stuff like that cosmetics I realized that from the beginning that it was different.

Owner says if for some reason there was something wrong he would take care of it.

Worse come to worse what could be a big issue?

What are some things to look for?
is the owners "promise" binding? Worst case the bike was low sided ran for a while on it's side and was starved of oil. That will take time to show as a problem but when it does you are out of an engine. Whats up with the fairings why were they replace or repainted? Take a look at the foot pet tabs do they look repaired (bent back, welded on).

Something just isn't right about this bike, and if it's not a Ducati Dealer what do they know about Ducati's?

It's your cash you came for advice you must filter what you want and take it with a grain of salt.

I doubt any member here after seeing the pics, no records, and the owner saying he "promises" is going to endorse this purchase but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
The mileage is stored in the dash cluster so sadly an easy thing to fake. The fit of the fairings is good but looks like they might be the Chinese made ones. As has been mentioned, the EVO sticker and Italian flag are missing. The undertail looks like it doesn't quite fit properly and a couple of fairing corners have been rounded which is indicative of the Chinese made fairings. Excellent but not quite like Ducati made. The ridge around the tail vents is not as predominant as in the OEM Ducati pieces. In fact it looks to be quite smooth as if it was moulded as one piece.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking, and yes I'm 99% sure the mileage is in the cluster not the ECU.

And this exhaust doesn't look like 200 miles but maybe it sat out in the rain and has never been cleaned.

To the OP other than mileage this isn't going for any less than most used 848 I've seen them with better history records for under 7k. I would do a lot of research on this bike before I pulled the trigger. The low mileage is tempting but another one of the same year with 3k miles with records would be a safer purchase.
Good eye on the exhaust it looked a little suspect to me as well. Definitely not a 200 miles worth of use looks more like 20k.

Thanks for clarifying the mileage.

·
Registered
310 Posts
is the owners "promise" binding? Worst case the bike was low sided ran for a while on it's side and was starved of oil. That will take time to show as a problem but when it does you are out of an engine. Whats up with the fairings why were they replace or repainted? Take a look at the foot pet tabs do they look repaired (bent back, welded on).

Something just isn't right about this bike, and if it's not a Ducati Dealer what do they know about Ducati's?

It's your cash you came for advice you must filter what you want and take it with a grain of salt.

I doubt any member here after seeing the pics, no records, and the owner saying he "promises" is going to endorse this purchase but I could be wrong.

At this point I wouldn't touch it. I wouldn't even touch it if a Ducati dealer had it unless they could show proof of going in to the motor to examine everything.

Like you said it could have been low sided and is a dead motor waiting to happen.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.