Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys i'm buying a Duc 821 monster, and i know that their engines have improves and servicing times etc..
I have been offered a 6 year warranty that covers a lot of things for 1,200 on top of the bike price, i personally always think its a joke to get that. but does anyone have any experience or feedback?
I'm in Canada btw

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would carefully read over the coverage policy, chances are they will not cover the major things you would want them to for paying that kind of cash.

·
Registered
331 Posts
He'll yeah. My bike started burning 1qt of oil every 500 miles because of a bad oil ring on the horizontal cylinder, and I had 2mos left on my extended warranty. Was fully covered with a $50.00 deductible ��

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
It's a crap shoot for sure. I enjoyed the 2yr unlimited mileage warranty and didn't opt for the extended and I was lucky. I had only one glitch taken care of under the 2yr warranty but had it popped up after, it would have cost more than the extended warranty costs.

As has been mentioned, read the warranty carefully and if it covers engine and drive train, it might be worth it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought an extended warranty for the (2012) Ducati Diavel. $1650. 4 years.
For me I look at it as insurance. Yes it does cover engine and drive train.
I think it is personal. Level of comfort with Ducati not breaking down.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Just make sure that modifications do not affect the warranty. Read the entire document very carefully.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thank you. I think I will get it, its 6 years unlimited and it covers a hell of a lot of stuff and I only pay 100$ for any issue and the warranty covers the rest. Piece of mind too I guess.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Ok thank you. I think I will get it, its 6 years unlimited and it covers a hell of a lot of stuff and I only pay 100$ for any issue and the warranty covers the rest. Piece of mind too I guess.
I think it's worth it but double check. I think it's not a six year warrantee that begins when the warrantee that comes with the bike ends. I think it's actually four years extra. And also check. You should be able to buy an extended warrantee any time that the original warrantee is in effect, so you could wait and see how the bike works out and if you will keep it for 4 or 6 years and how much trouble, if any, you have.

Pjk

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Very Very Important to read the entire warranty including the fine print. Back when they had Ever Red (extended warranty) Like Pjk said above I purchased it as my initial two year factory warranty expired. Had a problem with my valve seats which had to be replaced. This was discovered after the bike was torn down to find the problem. Then the warranty claim was denied because I had a full Akrapovic system with a micro tech ECU, and they also said because of the wear on my tires that I was clearly tracking the bike (which I was it was a dedicated track bike) So then my dealer tells me it will cost roughly six grand for the repairs. I was pissed and told him to just put it back together, he then said it will cost me XXXXX for the disassembly and the reassembly which would be completely out of pocket since the warranty claim was denied. Luckily my dealer went to bat for me and called DNA who covered the claim.

Bottom line my claim was denied because I had put aftermarket parts on my bike and used it at the track. And yes it was buried in the fine print of the three page or so legal document which was the warranty.

Again moral of the story read the warranty document very carefully.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Usually the warranty only covers defective parts. If you add any aftermarket components what so ever, it may void the warranty.

For instance, if your motor fails somehow, they will blame it on YOU, the owner first. You will have to fight the insurance company and prove without a shadow of a doubt, you never touched the bike mechanically. If you don't have receipts for everything you've done AND have the dealer do all the service no matter what, it's not worth spending the money. If you're over on your service intervals by 1 mile, thats enough for the warranty company to not cover the bike.

Basically, for a dealer, selling a warranty is a guarantee you will be back to have THEM do all the service for you, which is thousands of dollars over the course of the bikes life. These modern bikes are pretty reliable, if nothing happens within the first two year warranty, I doubt something will happen seriously outside it. If your concerned, sell the bike after 2 years and buy another.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like your right, I have to service it by a ducati dealer all the time. If I mod the bike in any way it seems like they void the warranty.
I attached the picture of the fine print.
The new 821 doesn't need to be serviced until 15k or was it 30k? Forgive me i cant remember it was more than 14k kilomiters for sure. Because of the new engine and the stronger and longer lasting parts. So before I put that kind of mileage on the bike 2 or 3 years or even 4 will pass by as we can really ride it 6.months of the year in canada depending on the year.

I had 1 monster in the part and I only had to change my rear tire and oil changes I never had any problems with them.
So maybe now I'm leaning towards a no way for the warranty I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I think the dealer has a LOT of input into what gets covered, regardless of what the warranty states.

Ducati just rebuilt the horizontal cylinder and did the valve lash service on my 1198. My bike is out of the warranty, has 11,000 miles, and has track time on it. They paid it in full. My situation had some extenuating circumstances, but had the dealer not gone to bat for me, it would have certainly been my bill to pay.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think the dealer has a LOT of input into what gets covered, regardless of what the warranty states.

Ducati just rebuilt the horizontal cylinder and did the valve lash service on my 1198. My bike is out of the warranty, has 11,000 miles, and has track time on it. They paid it in full. My situation had some extenuating circumstances, but had the dealer not gone to bat for me, it would have certainly been my bill to pay.
You should consider yourself lucky, this is a legally binding contract so they can say whatever they want to you in person and it means nothing at all. If you violated any of the terms in the contact you have a 0% chance of winning this in court.

But like you said, they may not always be as strict as the contract terms but why take that risk when you know you have no legal recourse and have to hope that the dealer will go to bat for you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently bought a four years warranty extension for my 2012 SF 1098S. I got it from the Ducati dealership where I got my bike. The insurance company name is CornerStone United.

I paid 1401.55$ CAD ( taxes included). This warranty is FULLY refundable after four years if not used. You can also switch the owner of the warranty should you sell your bike before it expires. I have 0$ franchise since I bough it before my full two years Ducati warranty expired.

As for what is included or not, it matches the Ducati original warranty. Only difference is that you don't have the road side assistance. So if the bike breaks, it is your responsablity to take it to the dealer. (Opposed to just calling the Ducati phone line and screaming at them to come and pick their piece of crap bike wherever your are, as I can related since I did it once).

So far I cannot complain about anything. I had a leak at around 10 000 km on my front right Ohlins fork seal. They replaced BOTH seals, oil change/fill, all parts and labor. Dealer took care of all the paperwork. Felt no difference than using the Ducati warranty.

Look it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts