Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into an accident about a month ago and my bike is in the process of being totaled. I have frame damage, which runs up the cost to almost $6200 in just swapping the frame. Regardless, I am looking at my options in the current market. As previously stated, I rode a 2009 Ducati 848 and loved my bike.

What I'm looking for:

1. Bike with decent power, so when I want to push it, I can feel power comparable to 848.
2. A comfortable ride, since, I might be riding long trips for work, I might have to drive about 1 hr 42 minutes one way, and this will be twice a week. My 848 was a nightmare on gas and long trips, my wrist was wrecked every 1 ride.
3. Ride it on the track with cheap chinese race fairings.
4. Reliable
5. Below $12k

My options after payout from my insurance company will be $8000 roughly (I have the title), but I don't want to use all of that on a bike and rather pay off credit cards.

Option 1) Local market has a 2004 Ducati 749s 5500 miles and termignoni exhaust , dealer wants $3150. I have read that the 749s can be a headache due to shims being 6 mm. The job is usually more difficult and don't know if I trust a 14 year old bike on my commute. It is a great track bike and low investment.

Option 2) Brand new 2018 Ducati 821, high service interval (18K), 2017 models are like $1500, thus, allowing me a low down payment of $2000. My problem is I live in Florida and the highway miles on the commute might be an issue with a naked bike. The 821 doesn't come with steering damper. It also isn't a great track bike nor very powerful.

Option 3) Brand new or used Ducati supersport, high service interval, single sided swingarm, gas mileage display, fast from my 848 and good wind protection, saddlebag options
Option 4) Used panigale 2015~ for $9000
Option 5) Ducati supersport 2004~

I have a credit score of 625-630 and my car APR is 6.5%, so I am looking at Ducati Premier financing as a financial option with low monthly payments, large down payment and large sum due at the end.

*I am open to other bikes, but only Ducati, just not Multistrada.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI, I'm trying to steer away from those short intervals for valves. I have nothing but problems with Ducati dealerships, they are always behind and it takes like 3 weeks to get a valve adjustment completed. Plus, the cost is expensive. My weekly commute could be 600 miles at the minimum, which if you add joy rides, like 3000 miles a month at the max. Those 6000 mile valve adjustments are going to cost me too much per year...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about looking at the Monster 1100 evo or 1200s but the wind in florida is always bad, thus making my highway rides feel terrible...I guess I have to take it on the highway to see how it feels being a naked bike. The 1199 would tear my body up with that long ride...I am looking at a brand new 821 but its super under-powered. The evo is definitely affordable, so that might be a option.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Personal opinion, of course, but I think you have your priorities mixed up. Pay off your credit card debt. Pay off the Prius. Move closer to work. Save up money that would have gone to payments. Do not buy another bike until you are paying, at least, half of it in cash. Going into big debt for "toys" is always a bad idea.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I owned an 848 for years then after some back surgery swapped to the Multistrada. Oddly, I'm faster on the MTS but that's another story. While I love the MTS, I miss the mystique of the superbike style. My dealer was kind enough to lend me a Supersport for the weekend. What an amazing ride. Dramatically improved ergo for touring but still the look and feel of a superbike. My vote: Supersport

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have you considered a 1098/1198 more power than 848 can be used at a track. Prices are close to the $8k your getting. My thought is buy a bike for cash. I think buying a 748/996 would be better than a 749. For me it comes down to styling. That series really missed the mark. Any Ducati will need regular maintenance. Buy an older one for $4k or less than take the money left and pay off any debt.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems like Ducati created the supersport to attract sport bike riders that travel longer distances than your average superbike rider. I am really going towards the SS, I kind of ruled out the monster because people have complained about the wind at higher speeds, 85 mph+..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Crunching numbers

So, I've been crunching numbers for a 2018 Ducati Supersport....The inital price tag of $12995 looks great until all the numbers and features are added.

$12995 + $795 (freight) + $1,065 (taxes,etc) + $300 (dealer fees) + $1250 (Ducati Ever Red) = $16,405

This is also not including the APR...

*I'm looking at this as an owner for 5 years at 36,000 miles*

The Ducati Ever Red might save you thousands if it includes timing belt and valve adjustments. If those maintenance intervals are included, you're saving $1500 x 2 = $3,000 at 36,000 miles at 5 years (Supersport valves are at 18K)

My Ducati 848 would cost $1,500 for each valve adjustment (usually including timing belt) at 7500 miles in a span of 36,000 miles in five years would cost $7,500.

The cost of a decently maintained and low mileage 848 is roughly $6500 -$7000. Just depends...plus $7500 in five years of ownership, $14,500

$18,200 (included APR) vs $14,500
*Ducati Ever Red also includes other mechanical failures that might factor in later down the road.

My first bike I had like 48000 miles, so I know the higher the mileage, more things can go go wrong...

My insurance is also not a factor, the '18 Supersport costs $20 more a month

·
Registered
995 Posts
Unless they've changed their policy you can buy the Everred extended warranty as long as the original one is still in effect. If so eliminate that from the purchases price. And for me the heated grips were worth the money this past winter.

Pjk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I spoke to Ducati North America and it does not include the service intervals, which makes my calculations completely different and a big difference. I know! I know! But, there is a massive financial difference when you purchase the bike from the dealership opposed to some third party on craigslist. I think I am going to pay off my debt and go through a credit union and purchase a panigale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got into an accident about a month ago and my bike is in the process of being totaled. I have frame damage, which runs up the cost to almost $6200 in just swapping the frame. Regardless, I am looking at my options in the current market. As previously stated, I rode a 2009 Ducati 848 and loved my bike.

What I'm looking for:

1. Bike with decent power, so when I want to push it, I can feel power comparable to 848.
2. A comfortable ride, since, I might be riding long trips for work, I might have to drive about 1 hr 42 minutes one way, and this will be twice a week. My 848 was a nightmare on gas and long trips, my wrist was wrecked every 1 ride.
3. Ride it on the track with cheap chinese race fairings.
4. Reliable
5. Below $12k

My options after payout from my insurance company will be $8000 roughly (I have the title), but I don't want to use all of that on a bike and rather pay off credit cards.

Option 1) Local market has a 2004 Ducati 749s 5500 miles and termignoni exhaust , dealer wants $3150. I have read that the 749s can be a headache due to shims being 6 mm. The job is usually more difficult and don't know if I trust a 14 year old bike on my commute. It is a great track bike and low investment.

Option 2) Brand new 2018 Ducati 821, high service interval (18K), 2017 models are like $1500, thus, allowing me a low down payment of $2000. My problem is I live in Florida and the highway miles on the commute might be an issue with a naked bike. The 821 doesn't come with steering damper. It also isn't a great track bike nor very powerful.

Option 3) Brand new or used Ducati supersport, high service interval, single sided swingarm, gas mileage display, fast from my 848 and good wind protection, saddlebag options
Option 4) Used panigale 2015~ for $9000
Option 5) Ducati supersport 2004~

I have a credit score of 625-630 and my car APR is 6.5%, so I am looking at Ducati Premier financing as a financial option with low monthly payments, large down payment and large sum due at the end.

*I am open to other bikes, but only Ducati, just not Multistrada.
sorry to hear about the 848. I am selling an 02' ST-2 that I purchased new. Has 18K and looks and runs like new. Two months ago. replaced the belts, rear tire and chain. All fluid and mechanicals changed, checked and adjusted. Had Brickwood's installed by the dealer at the 6K factory service. Since then, the opener and closer clearances have not changed. Gets 45 to 50 mpg on the highway. Has a bunch of extras. The majority people where I live do not know what a Duc is so it is difficult to sell since the nearest dealer is 250 miles away. If interested, you can contact me via this site.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts