Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to buy a 2011 Ducati 848 evo, but it has a rebuilt title. I've contacted the guy selling it and says that it was deemed totaled by the insurance company after having the fairing bracket ear break, but he bought it and fixed it up. He's asking for $7500. Is there anything else I should be looking for at this bike and is $7500 a reasonable price for a 2011 Ducati 848 evo with a rebuilt title.

Your opinions would be a great help to me. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
too much In my opinion....

These bikes are very very easily totalled, so I believe his story of easy damage causing a total loss.

The issue with a rebuilt title or salvage title is an insurance company wont want to touch it, and if they do, their value will be way way less in the event it gets stolen or destroyed.

Theres so many available out there to choose from, ry to find a clean bike, even if it has a few more miles on it.

My 2 cents..

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
And with that, maybe call your insurance company and see what they will cover it for. If it isn't $7500 or more, I would think its a bad idea. Plus their answer will tell you what they consider its value at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if he drops the price to 5500 or 6000 would it be worth it? His description is basically:
-7k miles
-flat black
-Termignoni exhaust
-Aftermerket levers
-Integrated signals
-Newer tires
-New headlight bracket

And that the bike has the rebuilt title. Aside for this the next best options are cbr600rr's in the area.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
CBR600RR is like a Toyota Camry, smooth and soul-less. A Ducati 848 is like a 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429, raw, loud, clawing at the road in front of you, trying to toss you off the back every second. Fuck, I love my Ducati's.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CBR600RR is like a Toyota Camry, smooth and soul-less. A Ducati 848 is like a 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429, raw, loud, clawing at the road in front of you, trying to toss you off the back every second. Fuck, I love my Ducati's.....
The reason why I was hoping to hear some good advise on either the price or things to look over on the bike.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
My insurance company has never asked about the title status. Blue book is blue book, salvaged title just means less blue book.

And yes it doesn't take much to total it.

How many miles on it, any service records, any aftermarket parts, was it garaged?

While salvaged brings down the value low miles would bring it up that's why I ask.

My bike is on its 3rd engine with 37k miles on the OD but the engine only has 3k miles.

Post up some pic so we can take a look for you..

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
So if he drops the price to 5500 or 6000 would it be worth it? His description is basically:
-7k miles
-flat black
-Termignoni exhaust
-Aftermerket levers
-Integrated signals
-Newer tires
-New headlight bracket

And that the bike has the rebuilt title. Aside for this the next best options are cbr600rr's in the area.
Ok just saw this, does he have service records? at 7k miles it's coming up on a major service, that major service if you just take the bike into a shop could cost you $2000. If you do you home work and some of your own service the 7k service would only run 600-800.

post up some good pics...

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Try running the blue book on it this is for my area, dealer retail...

Factor in you are buying form a private seller and salvage if it was in my area you are close..

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok just saw this, does he have service records? at 7k miles it's coming up on a major service, that major service if you just take the bike into a shop could cost you $2000. If you do you home work and some of your own service the 7k service would only run 600-800.

post up some good pics...
These are some photos of it that he posted, but he doesn't mention any service records aside for him satying that it rides and handles amazing, as well as its been babied and never raced.

Attachments

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Looks right but either it's my phone or not so great pics.

So you need to look closely at the bike and determine what kind of accident it was in. Does the owner know?

Things to look for:
Bent rear set tabs (looks like the stock are still on) this is odd as he has aftermarket levers but not rear sets. Perhaps he had aftermarket on when it went down. So check for (new)welds or cracks where the tabs attach to the frame.

Check the engine covers for damage (they can be spendy).

Look at the bike top to bottom for damage.

One concern is if the bike went down and continued to run, starving the motor of oil. This can damage the engine and not show up as a problem until later.

Looks like the plastic stock bar end caps are missing.

Looks like the heat shield is carbon fiber.

Is that a full exhaust?

No records of service, and a expensive service coming up, should be a $1000-$2000 dollar consideration in your offer.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Also he or someone has used almost every bit of that tire from edge to edge. That is mostly only attainable at the track, to be able to use that much of the tire on the street....yikes! Not that a bike thats been at the track is a bad bike, they are made for that! Just should be mentioned.

It is definitely a very nice looking bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks right but either it's my phone or not so great pics.

So you need to look closely at the bike and determine what kind of accident it was in. Does the owner know?

Things to look for:
Bent rear set tabs (looks like the stock are still on) this is odd as he has aftermarket levers but not rear sets. Perhaps he had aftermarket on when it went down. So check for (new)welds or cracks where the tabs attach to the frame.

Check the engine covers for damage (they can be spendy).

Look at the bike top to bottom for damage.

One concern is if the bike went down and continued to run, starving the motor of oil. This can damage the engine and not show up as a problem until later.

Looks like the plastic stock bar end caps are missing.

Looks like the heat shield is carbon fiber.

Is that a full exhaust?

No records of service, and a expensive service coming up, should be a $1000-$2000 dollar consideration in your offer.
He said he checked the bike out before buying it from the insurance company, and that it was rode under a parked semitrailer which was the reason why the fairing bracket ear to break, and aside for that it mechanically showed no issues.

The exhaust is Termignoni.

I also plan on bringing it to a local shop that runs diagnostic tests on bikes before making any purchase on it if that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also he or someone has used almost every bit of that tire from edge to edge. That is mostly only attainable at the track, to be able to use that much of the tire on the street....yikes! Not that a bike thats been at the track is a bad bike, they are made for that! Just should be mentioned.

It is definitely a very nice looking bike.
I didn't think the tires were used all over, but my eyes aren't used to looking at these yet.

Attachments

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Is it dirty or is it me?

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Like clean kind of dirty, or like shady kind of dirty?

Clean type, I'm absolutely anal about keeping mine clean. I also think it is an indicator of how well taken care of it is.

Reactions: vfrman
1 - 19 of 19 Posts