Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buying Bike Back from Insurance Co.s

Hello f'ds,
Unfortunately, I'd a minor crash in the back country roads of WA & although the initial damages didn't look that bad, the repair estimate I recently got will most likely make it a total loss. :green:...at least from an insurance perspective..

Does anyone on the forum has bought their bikes back from insurance companies, specifically statfarm? Can any one of you share your or your friend's experiences from a similar situation? Or if you have seen similar thread, please point me there...

Unfortunately, my italian love story seems to be coming to an end..:(

Keep Riding!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
my first duc was considered "totaled" by the insurance after I was rear ended at an intersection... I paid $6,500 for it (at the time it was a steal) and there was $6,500 in damages according to the insurance. I had the option of keeping the bike and getting less than $6,000 for the damages plus it would not have a clean title afterwards which may be an issue if you want to sell it in the future... I ended up letting them keep it and then fought them on the value of the bike... in the end I ended up getting $8,200 for the bike (like I said... $6,500 was a steal) and another $1,000 for an injury (scratched leg). To me it was a no brainer to take the $9,200 and buy a another...

·
Registered
108 Posts
What was it? I just learned today my '12 848 is a total loss to state farm, they came up with 17k in damage to it.(assuming labor is involved) Debating about buying it back, and spending all winter slowy rebuilding it. Thats if the fork and frame are still straight...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the responses guys.

Mud, it really depends on whether you are at-fault or not at-fault. If the other party is at fault, you have stronger negotiation power since it's their legal liability to pay for your damages as soon as possible. If it's your own insurance company, they have a take it or leave it attitude, at least initially, and can drag the claim for months.

Mine was a '08 1098 Duc. Repair estimate is 12K, so I'm pretty sure they'll total it. The reason I want to buy it back is there's damage to only plastics, wheel & exhaust damage, no real structural damage, and I can fix it by myself.

I'm looking at any experiences ducatistis might have had when dealing with a Total Loss since these insurance co.s are known to low ball the ACV.

Forewarned is Forearmed!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts