Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too Bad....

MotoGP™ will not return to Indianapolis in 2016
Following eight years of world class motorcycle racing, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will not be on the 2016 MotoGP™ calendar.
The award winning MotoGP event was first hosted at IMS in partnership with Dorna Sports in September of 2008. The cancellation of the race was a mutual decision by both parties. “This outcome reflects the best interests of both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Dorna Sports,” said J. Douglas Boles, President of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “We are proud of our efforts to increase attendance in recent years and successfully host a truly international sporting and cultural event. We’re also thankful to Dorna Sports for its strong support and partnership since 2008. However, the timing is right to pursue other opportunities that drive greater revenue for both the Speedway and our Central Indiana economy.”

In 2014, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix earned recognition from Dorna as the “Best Grand Prix” of the 2014 season, becoming the first North American race to earn this honour. The redesigned and improved IMS road course, as well as supporting events such as Motorcycles on Meridian, helped secure this recognition.

However, following the removal of the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca from the MogoGP schedule in 2014, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix became the only summer MotoGP event in North America for the last two seasons. This caused both financial and logistical challenges that no longer made the event viable for the foreseeable future. Ultimately, removing the Indianapolis race became key to Dorna’s efforts to expand both the number of events it hosts and the geographic diversity of its schedule.

“Bringing MotoGP to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has been a tremendously rewarding experience,” said Dorna Sports Chief Executive Officer Carmelo Ezpeleta. “The historic track, professional staff and welcoming host community produced an annual event that was enjoyed by all. While both sides recognize it’s the right time to pause this relationship, the door is not closed on future collaborations together should current circumstances change."

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Glad I at least went there once to experience it while I had the chance. But from the riders' point of view, I don't think many of them will miss it. They should've kept Laguna though instead of Indy....or change it with Miller!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well Austin Is closer and from what I heard the Ducati island is a lot better plus the event is better organized.
We will see next year!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Biggest problems with Laguna was the lack of infrastructure and runoff at the Corkscrew. The track was changed before the GP's came back and the riders still complained about safety at the Corkscrew.

The Indy track has never been very good. When the first people to run it started calling a pair of the turns Mickey & Mouse. ( the only funny thing to come out of the fiasco that was F1 at Indy) I knew it was only going to be on schedule for a short time.

Hey Donger, do you know why it's always windy in Oklahoma?:stickpoke:loser:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I've been to Indy twice 2008, 2009. No it's not Laguna Seca but any MotoGp race in the states is something to celebrate... Being on the east coast too I'll miss it. I would expect that any US race fan would miss it.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
910 Posts
Biggest problems with Laguna was the lack of infrastructure and runoff at the Corkscrew. The track was changed before the GP's came back and the riders still complained about safety at the Corkscrew.

The Indy track has never been very good. When the first people to run it started calling a pair of the turns Mickey & Mouse. ( the only funny thing to come out of the fiasco that was F1 at Indy) I knew it was only going to be on schedule for a short time.

I do, cause Texas sucks:shitfan:

heard the joke before, I personally like Texas:yo:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

Because OK has tornadoes and hail storms?

LOL...I like Texas..cheaper to live in, guns ownership is the bomb, in the middle of everywhere..I don't have to face with the tree huggers wearing skinny jeans lol as much as CA...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Man you guys are sorta dicks. Indy was the only race I can feasibly get to. COTA is 1100 miles away from me, and that track has yet to produce an exciting MotoGP race despite all it's new fanciness. I'm not spending a ton of money to go there. Laguna was always too far away. Miller is too frigging remote to be feasible.

What I'll miss is the visceral experience of seeing the bikes live - the smell of race gas, the sound of the bikes, the sensation of speed you can get standing just yards from them as they go by. I could give as shit less if the track is "crap".

Indy was the 8th most attended race in 2014, and their numbers increased this year. And Dorna replaced Indy with the race in Austria, which is 200 miles away from Brno that is the week before. They screwed over a lot of fans in the US, and they're screwing Brno also by putting the Austria race so close to Brno. That's going to do nothing but cannibalize Brno's attendance which will limit their income from the race, and since they're already in financial trouble, well, less moeny from the race certainly isn't going to help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.