Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm looking to buy another Ducati this spring and was planning on flying into CA to pick it up so I can ride up the coast into Oregon and wherever else suits me on my way home.
Any dealers in particular I should be looking at that you've had a good buying experience with?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just purchased mine from Beverly Hills Ducati. They were awesome. No pressure sales tactics, great selection, and the guys are all Ducati owners and racers. The guy I purchased from was Robbes, and he really gave me a solid deal and even helped me to finance my first maintenance. And don't be fooled by the location, they had great prices. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
ProItalia hands down..where I was happily purchased my SFS and shipped to Texas....best service

·
Registered
23 Posts
Keep in mind that you'd be looking at a 9% sales tax in L.A. versus 3% in South Dakota.
I believe that as an out-of-state purchaser you do not pay CA sales tax but rather will end up paying that to your home state when you register it. But you'll definitely want to check that out because it would be really sad to end up getting dinged for 2X sales taxes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless CA does something different than all the states around me, I'd pay SD sales tax when I license it. That's how its worked when I've purchased in Iowa, Colorado, Nebraska, etc.

Thanks for the tips guys, sounds like there are some good dealers there to work with. Now the next question Scrambler or Monster?!?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm a fan of GP cycles down in San Diego. I got my bike there from them and go there as often as I can (which includes a 30 minute longer ride than the next closest dealer). Moto Forza has a good vibe to it as well. I guess you really can't go wrong with any of the So Cal dealers (or maybe they just realize you have to be extra nice trying to sell a $15-20k bike vs. one that cost half as much).
PS-go with a scrambler!

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
ProItalia. Bought a 2008 1098R from Bill Nation, owner of the dealership. I have known Bill since the early 1970s, a good friend and motorcycle enthusiast. We used to ride Nortons together all over East Tn. Then Ducati. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hey all, I'm looking to buy another Ducati this spring and was planning on flying into CA to pick it up so I can ride up the coast into Oregon and wherever else suits me on my way home.
Sounds like fun!

Any dealers in particular I should be looking at that you've had a good buying experience with?
Few things to note…

- In order to leave the dealership and ride the motorcycle, the vehicle will need to be licensed which means, sales tax will need to be applied. If you were to buy the vehicle and have them ship it, then it doesn't need to be licensed which means you can get around sales tax.

- Buying from a dealership more then a thousand miles away, isn't a smart thing to do. If you plan on using your local dealer up in Oregon for service, they won't be very happy you didn't buy it there. I've found dealers can get very strange with service pricing if you didn't buy the bike with them. It's a very smart idea to build a working relationship with your local dealer in order to avoid this.

- I've attempted to purchase Ducati motorcycles from pretty much every dealer in the L.A. area and honestly, the best experiences I had were with Aaron who use to work at Spectrum, who now works at Newport Beach Ducati. He's a real motorcycle enthusiast and the only guy in the L.A. basin who was willing to work out a deal on a new bike (I bought two from him). If you wanna get raped on any bike purchase, visit any other dealer and you'll get raped. Aaron will make your trip worth while and will for sure work out the best deal in L.A. Plus, you can avoid LAX by flying into Long Beach airport, which would be nice. :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You're assuming that the dealer is going to let you ride around on their plates and insurance. Maybe they will as part of the deal, but make sure you check up front.

In California, (from the DMV website) re: dealer tags

"A vehicle for sale or lease by a dealer may be operated or moved upon a highway for a period not to exceed seven (7) days by a prospective buyer or lessee who is test-driving the vehicle for possible purchase or lease."

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tips Tuned, unfortunately where I live the closest Ducati dealer is 5 or so hours away in Ft Collins, CO but I have established somewhat of a relationship there with my services done on the 848. The only reason I'm buying in CA is I've always wanted to ride the coast on a bike but I don't want to spend the time traveling from SD to CA to do it. So I figured what the hell I'll just fly there and bring it home.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Thanks for the tips Tuned, unfortunately where I live the closest Ducati dealer is 5 or so hours away in Ft Collins, CO but I have established somewhat of a relationship there with my services done on the 848. The only reason I'm buying in CA is I've always wanted to ride the coast on a bike but I don't want to spend the time traveling from SD to CA to do it. So I figured what the hell I'll just fly there and bring it home.
Ahh got ya. Well, sounds like a lot of fun! I really hope you get to do the ride because I've been up the coast a few times and it's awesome. You can visit Laguna Seca/Monterey one night and stay up in San Fran another night. Absolutely worth checking out both places on a motorbike. If I had a touring bike, I'd for sure be up for the ride! For sure on my short list! :)

Reactions: Redsand

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're assuming that the dealer is going to let you ride around on their plates and insurance. Maybe they will as part of the deal, but make sure you check up front.

In California, (from the DMV website) re: dealer tags

"A vehicle for sale or lease by a dealer may be operated or moved upon a highway for a period not to exceed seven (7) days by a prospective buyer or lessee who is test-driving the vehicle for possible purchase or lease."
Well no, I was just going off of my other purchases, and CA is different as I've found out. In the surrounding states you get a temp tag that is good for 30 days and you have to have proof of ins before the dealer will let take off with the vehicle.
My possible work around for this is to purchase the bike before I get there, have the paper work mailed to me, take it to my DMV and license the bike before I get to CA so I can throw the SD plate on and go about my merry way.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, that's not a bad idea. Do the purchase before you go, have them "ship" the bike to you for tax purposes and bring down a license plate to throw on the bike. What a clever idea! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts