Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone with a CDT Carbon Street Tail confirm this for me? I ordered a CDT carbon fiber street tail from Motowheels, and after receiving it, i installed the taillight onto the tail and noticed a pretty large gap between the tip of the tail and the light itself. i emailed Motowheels thinking i received a defective piece and they told me that this is normal and all CDT tails are manufactured this way. needless to say, i was shocked because i had the impression CDT's products were all top notch and fit perfectly, like OEM. can someone who has a CDT carbon fiber street tail confirm what Motowheels is telling me? They said they sold lots of these tails and never received a complaint, which i find very hard to believe.

Here's a picture of the gap with the taillight installed:

And just to be sure it wasn't the taillight, i installed the same taillight on my 1098R Carbon Tail:

I even tried a stock taillight just to make sure i wasn't crazy:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a manufacturing flaw to me. I would ask for a refund.
Motowheels has already offered to refund me if i send the tail back, which i plan to do, but what i'm truly interested in finding out is if all CDT tails are really manufactured this way. because if i can't get a quality carbon tail that fits like OEM from CDT, what alternatives do i have?

Do you have a CDT tail that doesn't have this gap? Motowheels is insisting that this is not considered a defective product, it was purposely designed this way and all CDT tails have this gap.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm going to take a pic of the 848 I have in my garage with a CDT tail and show you. I also have a OEM 1098r tail I'll show you too. Let's figure this out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to take a pic of the 848 I have in my garage with a CDT tail and show you. I also have a OEM 1098r tail I'll show you too. Let's figure this out.
That's awesome! Thanks!

It'll be great to clear this up once and for all. looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ok here's what the 848 with CDT Carbon Tail and OEM light assembly look like. And just for Carbon Fiber comparo, my 1098s with an OEM 1098r tail and OEM light assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
It appears that the light sits or mounts in your CDT tail too high or at an angle. I got my CDT belly pan from motowheels.com and it was perfect. This appears to be an anomaly. I would exchange.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Also one more thing. Pleas check and confirm that what you received was the CDT tail and NOT the Carbonvani one. They could have mixed up the order. The CDT will have a white label under the resin like this picture
we only carry CDT tails, couldn't have been carbonvani

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the pics Soulvoid!! these pictures clearly contradict Motowheels claim that all CDT tails have the gap that i'm seeing.

The tail i got does have the CDT sticker on the underside, so i know it's definitely a CDT tail.

To be honest, the most disturbing part of this whole thing is that Motowheels insisted all the CDT tails they sell have this same gap...which clearly is a false statement.

looks like i'll have to give them another call.

·
Banned
1,161 Posts
Nick and Martin at Motowheels are great guys I doubt they are trying to screw you over. I am sure they will do whatever it takes to make you happy.

I haven't had any problems with my tail but I have never tried to mount the OEM light back there. I have the Blaster X

Cpt DB

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
It looks to be a manufacturing flaw in the tail your received. I just bought a CDT CF tail and have it sitting next to me. I just grabbed my MotoDynamic Smoked tail and fitted into the tail to see how the fitment was and it was just like stock. Definitely no gap at all.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
I have the first CDT biposta tail that hit N.America and my tail light fits fine. No gaps. I ran a stock tail light in it and an aftermarket and both fit well.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Thanks for all the pics Soulvoid!! these pictures clearly contradict Motowheels claim that all CDT tails have the gap that i'm seeing.

The tail i got does have the CDT sticker on the underside, so i know it's definitely a CDT tail.

To be honest, the most disturbing part of this whole thing is that Motowheels insisted all the CDT tails they sell have this same gap...which clearly is a false statement.

looks like i'll have to give them another call.

I see gaps on the top of Soulvoids piece.

Mine has a small gap too. We had to fiddle with the mount. If you fiddle with the mount you can reduce the gap, but it is still there because the CF is much thinner than the OEM plastic.

Like Matt said, he can give you another one, but there is no guarantee that it will fit any better - and most likely will not be perfect. That is why he offered the refund.

-M

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see gaps on the top of Soulvoids piece.

Mine has a small gap too. We had to fiddle with the mount. If you fiddle with the mount you can reduce the gap, but it is still there because the CF is much thinner than the OEM plastic.

Like Matt said, he can give you another one, but there is no guarantee that it will fit any better - and most likely will not be perfect. That is why he offered the refund.

-M
when i test fitted the light, i didn't use bolts to secure it to the tail so i could try all different positions to reduce the gap, but no matter what i tried it always ended up the same as you see in the pictures i posted.

i'll give you guys another call tomorrow to sort this out because i really would like a carbon tail that fits properly.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Ask Matt to test fit a tail and light if we have both in stock. He might be able to find one that fits better then the others. Yours looks especially bad - it can't get much worse than that.

If we have both, maybe he can send a picture for your approval before he sends it.

-M

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ask Matt to test fit a tail and light if we have both in stock. He might be able to find one that fits better then the others. Yours looks especially bad - it can't get much worse than that.

If we have both, maybe he can send a picture for your approval before he sends it.

-M
That would be great! Thanks for offering to do a precheck. i'll give you guys a call later this afternoon to discuss.

Thanks for stepping up to help resolve this issue

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
That would be great! Thanks for offering to do a precheck. i'll give you guys a call later this afternoon to discuss.

Thanks for stepping up to help resolve this issue
IMG_1816.jpg

When comparing CDT tails you need to compare apples to apples.

CDT cuts all carbon fiber for there molds utilizing CNC technology so everytime you get the exact same amount of carbon fiber.

Since this is such a low quantity part they would only manufacture one mold, and since this is vaccum bagged & autoclaved nearly every part is identical.

You purchased a monotail with street provisions, if you want to compare you need to compare the exact same tail as pictured above. When you look at the tails pictured they all have gaps, some in the low, some in the high, some on the sides. The only one that has less gaps was Capt. DB which is a biposto tail so its completely different and not even comparable.

As Matt had stated before your more than welcome to return it and we would even give you a call tag to return it free of charge as offered before.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When comparing CDT tails you need to compare apples to apples.

CDT cuts all carbon fiber for there molds utilizing CNC technology so everytime you get the exact same amount of carbon fiber.

Since this is such a low quantity part they would only manufacture one mold, and since this is vaccum bagged & autoclaved nearly every part is identical.

You purchased a monotail with street provisions, if you want to compare you need to compare the exact same tail as pictured above. When you look at the tails pictured they all have gaps, some in the low, some in the high, some on the sides. The only one that has less gaps was Capt. DB which is a biposto tail so its completely different and not even comparable.

As Matt had stated before your more than welcome to return it and we would even give you a call tag to return it free of charge as offered before.
Thanks Nick for the additional insight into CDT's mono tails. it's truly unfortunate that they make their mono tails like this. someone really should contact them and let them know the fitment is sub-par and they should update their mold so that it fits more like OEM. i mean, it's gotta be possible considering all the R's that came with carbon tails never had this gap. also, CDT is making biposto tails without the gap, so they clearly know how to fix it. there really isn't a difference in this part of the tail when you're comparing the mono to the biposto.

anyway, i've already contacted Matt and he graciously offered to take back the tail like he originally said. i guess i'll just have to go the route of getting my R tail repainted.

thanks to everyone who chipped in with pictures and personal experiences to help clear this up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts