Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Bike is a 2009 1198.
Yes, had other things on my mind. Only the second time I've had the belts off. Didn't mark the belts when I removed them. The cams ARE marked, so I know correct cam positioning.
Does it matter that the belts aren't marked? If the cams are in the correct position, the belts fitted and correctly tensioned, wouldn't it be ok??
I'm much more familiar with Japanese 4 cycl. Those cam sprockets are marked (to align to various things), but there is a cam chain pin count between a point on each sprocket.
Summer at the bottom of the world, and no chance of snow!
Cheers

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
No it doesn't matter where the belts are, as long as they are tensioned correctly, and the cams and crank are in the correct relationship.

As a check - with the dot on the lower pulley lined up with the mark on the case, the front cylinder should be at TDC compression. The square notches on the ends of the cams should point towards the top of the head. The rears should be at about '5 o'clock'.

If you turn the motor until the rear cylinder is at TDC compression, and the notches are pointed upwards, the fronts should be at about '7 o'clock'.

Pretty sure that's right from memory, without the parts in front of me.

But you need to be sure this is all correct before turning it over at all. I daresay you appreciate the valves and pistons will meet if the timing is out.

All the best with it. Go carefully.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts