Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I went to install belts on my 996 (previously did not have belts on) and cannot get the Horizontal Valve timing marks to line up. Specifically the (I think) exhaust side or LH Cam. I have the Vertical Cylinder at TDC with marks lined up from Drive gear, cams and sight glass. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
With the timing mark on the lay shaft set properly, the horizontal cylinder is at TDC and the vertical is 90 degree's off. The confusing part is the location of the cam's, they can't use the same marks because of course they're 90 degree's off from one another. So what Ducati did was put TWO marks on the cylinder head and use yellow paint to explain which cam lines up with which marks.

On the horizontal cylinder, the outside marks are what you use to align the cam dots. Where the upper marks are what you use for the vertical cylinder.

When you do the vertical cylinder, there will be pressure from the valve return spring that you need to break by turning the cam and holding it in place whilst putting the belt on. So that maybe what you're experiencing on the horizontal because it's off 90 degree's.

So your problem is simple… the HORIZONTAL cylinder needs to be at TDC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Tuned.

I'm aware of the different marks for each cylinder. I went back and rotated the Crank again to Horizontal TDC but still cannot rotate the LH Cam gear (aligned to the 'O') around to where it needs to be.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If the cam doesn't rotate, that either means you're not at TDC or there is a problem internally causing the cam to not rotate. Either way, the horizontal cylinder @ TDC should provide free spinning cams. So either there is something wrong with the engine... Or the procedure you're using has a minor glitch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"the horizontal cylinder @ TDC should provide free spinning cams."

Lol. No. Sorry.

If the piston is at TDC how can the valves move? The piston is in the way. Therefore how can the cams "free spin".

I don't think even Doctor T could manage such a mechanical impossibility.

·
Registered
44 Posts
LeanAngle08 the Horizontal cylinder marks line up with the O. You should be able to turn that inlet camshaft back (anti-clockwise) until it lines up with the top line.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
"the horizontal cylinder @ TDC should provide free spinning cams."
The cam will spin freely to the marks.

The cam can't EVER rotate 360 degrees freely, nor was that suggested in my post.

Furthermore, if your 90 degree's off, the cam WON'T move freely to the marks, it will open the valve and cause stoppage, which is what the OP complained about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts