Ducati.org forum banner

Can I disable engine shutoff function when kickstand is engaged?

11K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Shrek 
#1 ·
If so, how do indo that? Imagine this could require an ecu reflash. Would really like to be able to warmup the bike while it stands.

Thanks!

#2 ·
you can remove the sensor by the kickstand. cut the wires and bypass it with a little piece of wire, or something conductive. but i don't get your point...what do you mean you'd like to warm up the bike while it stands?? the engine shuts off when the kickstand is down only when you're in gear obviously

#5 ·
yeah there's definitely something wrong there because it shouldn't do that. it's probably just the sensor like zoot said. mine went bad too after a crash, except for it was kind of the other way. It would shut the engine off when I put it in gear even though the kickstand was up.

#6 ·
Please, PLEASE don't bypass that switch. Below is video of a rider from my local club. Her switch didn't work and she forgot to put the kickstand up. She was a very experience rider and racer but eventually everyone forgets to put the kickstand up. She was air cared out.

#7 ·
it was kind of far but i didn't see the kickstand down in that video. but if it was down, why didn't the person who was following her ride up to her before to warn her about it???

nevertheless, you always run the risk of riding with the kickstand down if you bypass the switch, so do it at your own risk

#9 ·
it was kind of far but i didn't see the kickstand down in that video. but if it was down, why didn't the person who was following her ride up to her before to warn her about it???

nevertheless, you always run the risk of riding with the kickstand down if you bypass the switch, so do it at your own risk
In the slow-motion you can see it hit the road (sparks) when she tries to lean left, which forces her back to the right. Then it digs a nice long gouge in the asphalt.

#8 ·
This is quite strange, but the issue appears to be resolved. I put about 100 miles on the bike since I got it last week and now am able to start it with the kickstand down, which leads me to believe there is still an issue with the sensor. I am planning a 3k mile ride this summer out west and don't want this to haunt me later. Can't exactly foresee enjoying being stuck in the middle of the Nevada desert with no reception on no easy way out.

#10 ·
Mine was like that always since day one out of the dealer.
Tought it was a safety measure to warm up the bike with ridder on top of it.
I bypassed the switch since after 10K it went bad.
Now it's good to turn on the bike with the stand down.

#12 ·
i miss my kickstand :(...unfortunately the shitty fairings i got don't have a cutout for it, and i don't feel like making my own cutout

#13 · (Edited)
If your bike won't run with the stand down the problem is not with the kickstand sensor but with the neutral safety switch, it thinks the bike is in gear so it won't run with the stand down. Bypassing the stand switch just masks the problem.

If you are going to bypass the stand switch, cut and solder the wires. If you just jump the two terminals it is possible for that jumper to vibrate out. When that circut opens your engine is killed, even if you are at full lean at high speed, that could be really ugly.

#14 ·
I used a bobby pin to bypas it and taped with electrical tape and no problems whatsoever.
For 20 bux TPO sells the bypass loop that is like the harness cap and this will lock in to the harness making it impossible to vibrate out.
I beeing procrastinating on buying it since I have not had any problems with my fix.

#15 ·
i trust myself tying the wires together and wrap with electrical tape more than i trust myself soldering....i suck at soldering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.