Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone--
Just joined the form and am hoping you can help me with a question. I would really like to purchase an 848 EVO -- it's a stunning bike!!
However, I am concerned that it may be too much bike for me at this point (reviews seem to indicate it is not for inexperienced riders.
About me: I have only ridden for about a year and a half, my bike is a Ninja 650. I really just do city riding, with some short highway trips (~20mins). I am not an aggressive rider -- I just have fun getting around on a bike, so I take it pretty easy and don't race around. To be frank, I would be buying the evo purely for looks, as I think it's just about the most stunning bike I've ever seen. I know I don't need an italian sport bike for the kind of riding I do, but am willing to pay for the aesthetics. So my question is, is this something I can handle, given my limited riding experience? I don't want to get in over my head if I can't control it well. I'm 5'9, 170lbs.
Really appreciate any thoughts you guys might have!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
To be short and simple in my response. Yes you can and watch the throttle. You will love it.

I'm the same height and weight. Feet touch the ground great. It is a good fit. It will sit more aggressive so for city it may not be as comfortable. Also a sprocket change will help for stop and go. These bikes love the highway.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
You'll be fine if you can already ride. For an absolute first bike though, HELL no!

Reactions: cobaltsf and Tchase

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
^^ HaHa... my first bike was a BSA GoldStar Clubman racer.... I will guarantee the 848EVO is easier to ride than that beast... hell, just kick starting it was a matter of life and death, compression release, my ass!!!... C'mon Man...

Reactions: cobaltsf

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Lol they are sexy!! I can tell you after owning two that I would never buy this bike again if I only commuted around the city. Ergonomics suck for sitting in traffic and they get mighty hot on the legs and goody bits. There are far better ducati's for urban commando rides!!! But if you like that she's as tame as your right hand tells her to be.

·
Court Jester
12,060 Posts
Lol they are sexy!! I can tell you after owning two that I would never buy this bike again if I only commuted around the city. Ergonomics suck for sitting in traffic and they get mighty hot on the legs and goody bits. There are far better ducati's for urban commando rides!!! But if you like that she's as tame as your right hand tells her to be.
I love the commute on my 848 64 mile round trip in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The 848 is a pretty tame Ducati Superbike. I got my first Superbike only 6 months after I started riding and it was a much older machine so more challenging to adapt and ride. With that said, my next bike was an 848 and it's not difficult to ride. However, it's riding position and longer distance comfort isn't very good. It's pretty, but it's really a design based around the track, rather then commuting or even general performance street riding. I must confess, I really enjoyed mine and the more you ride it, the more you'll spend on upgrades to make it more comfortable because all you'll wanna do is ride! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody for the advice! Sounds like it should be ok. I'll just take it easy, and learn to grow into it!!!!

·
Court Jester
12,060 Posts
Thanks everybody for the advice! Sounds like it should be ok. I'll just take it easy, and learn to grow into it!!!!

BTW welcome to the forum. Buying a Ducati for me (and I'm sure others) is a very personal thing. I still go out to the garage and talk to her :D

·
Registered
2012, ducati 848 superbike, 2014 Ducati 1199R
16 Posts
Got my first bike when I was 16 & progressed to a 125cc. Then never bothered with bikes. 30 years later and after a few holidays renting a twist n go Honda wave. I passed a Ducati shop & as you did fell in love with it.

I was fortunate that I was able to buy any one I wanted brand new. It was on order for over 4 months & delivered to my house, just outside the city centre.

First time I had ever ridden a bike of this size, and on the streets of Bangkok. Its not a town bike & gets really uncomfortable when stuck in traffic, but would not give it up for anything.

Had it for nearly 2 years now & love every minute of it. There are not many things that bring a smile to my face, but riding a Ducati 848 is one of them.

Never race it, and come no where near riding it to its maximum. but God I love it.

Buy it & you will never regret it

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Be careful of throttle modulation and you should be ok. As others have said, you won't have an issue.....BUT, under full throttle the 848 is a snarling banshee!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Similar to you I went from 125 to 650 adventure to 848 over about 3-4 years. I chose the ducati mainly because of the look - its is a beautiful bike, from all angles (can't help it, aesthetics is my job) but I'm glad I did as its everything I want and more. I absolutely LOVE the bike.

I'm sure you'll be fine just take it easy at first. I recently tested the 899 and decided to keep my 848 even though the 899 was technically 'better' in every way. The 848 just has something special about it. Have my first track day coming up...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased an 848 as my first bike a few months back. I had reservations about getting a Duc as my first, but I went against my better judgement and got a 2013 848 Evo Stealth and I LOVE IT! It just looked too pretty and sounded too amazing to pass up!

My second time ever riding a sport bike was my test ride to buy the 848 (first ride was a friend's 848 SE), so I can certainly relate to being on a machine that is probably "too much" for me to handle with my inexperience. As long as you watch what your right hand is doing, its not going to surprise you. Just be careful once you become comfortable as I did...I began getting a little ballsy and had to give myself a reality check.

I have since ridden a few bikes that belong to friends of mine and I wouldn't even entertain the thought of having anything different. The sound and the feel is just awesome. Get one. You'll love it.

But then again...I'm a noob and I have little with which to compare my experience on the 848. So take my advice with a grain of salt and listen to the guys who know their shit!

·
Registered
395 Posts
848 corse was my first bike, if your still new to riding just take it easy and don't let your ego take over or let anyone else try to make you do uncomfortable stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts