Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a number of small air compressors on the market designed for motorcycles that connect either directly to the battery or have various plugs like SAE connectors.

Given that the battery on the 821 is buried in the swingarm, can I use the same SAE connector (that I use to plug in my battery charger) to plug in a compressor without damaging anything in the electrical system?

We discussed charger connections in this thread:
http://www.ducati.org/forums/ducati-monster-821/66394-optimate-accumen.html

I would think it should be fine, but figured I'd ask the question anyway in case you know something I don't.

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll check that out before I order one.

I guess I could always pre-wire a connector directly to the battery and find a good spot to attach it with zip ties.

My objective is to carry around a small compressor along with a flat repair kit in a tail pack. I figure if I carry them with me all the time I'll never need to use it...

Paul

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I have a few friends that do exactly what you are thinking and it's a great idea. They both run adventure type bikes so their systems are a bit over designed to run electrical peripherals. A small draw compressor should be fine though. I regularly run an electric vest, heated grips and USB charger on my 848's system at the same time and it's been putting up with it for over 100,000Kms.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I think you'll be fine. I've used an SAE motorcycle air compressor from Walmart on my bike and it worked very well to add a few psi to my tires. It didn't drain any battery and the bike started right up afterwards. Perhaps you could keep the bike running while using the compressor as well?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.