Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time Ducati owner, and first time poster on Ducati :), previously only owned japanese bikes, CBR1000RR GSXR 750 etc. I recently purchased a 2012 848 Evo. Love the look and power of the bike but I was looking to purchase an aftermarket exhaust. I really like the look of the 4 pipe Toce, but sound wise I'm open to pretty much all. Ive read some forums and it seems people have some very harsh words about the TOCE 4 pipe system that TST makes for the 848. Honestly I'm prob not the typical Ducati owner as I plan to put neons on the wheels as soon as I figure out how this can be accomplished with a single sided swing arm.
I am really just wondering what exhaust you recommend and why. I really love my bike and all Ducatis for that matter but I am not a "Ducati Purist" and am not really concerned with do's and don'ts of Ducatis (some people seem to be very critical when it comes to lights or mods to Ducatis). I was just hoping for some advice on whats good and bad from a sound and performance standpoint as we may not share the same sense of what looks good vs what doesn't. Appreciate any help or advice you could share with me.
Much appreciated :cool:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I've had stock pipes, Termignoni, and I've had Akrapovic. I can't tell you what to go with but for me I'm a akrapovic guy. Looks are classy and just like the Termignoni tons of money and time have been put into research and development to make sure you get as much power and bang for your buck out of your pride and joy bike. I don't believe tst makes the toce pipes but I know they do sell them. I sorta like the look but I've heard they sound cheap and like a tin can. But in the end it's your bike you paid for it you make the call.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea you are right, TOCE makes TOCE I just assumed TST made it bc of the way they describe it and the production process lol but thank you for your help

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Pretty much any slip on canisters will accomplish what you are looking for.

Brand is your choice, just as neons are your choice. Just remember when you goto re-sell it, the number of buyers will be MUCH larger if the more popular brands and modifications are on it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
They sound fine to me.

I think the reason that custom products like TOCE aren't generally popular with Ducati owners is that most owners want add-ons that directly reflect Ducati's racing heritage so if they see their pipes (Termignoni or whatever) on a race bike there's a reflected glow on theirs. I agree there is a certain beauty relating to the form-vs-function starkness of a race bike but I think that small start-up companies like TOCE also deserve our support when they offer a quality product. I'm not suggesting that we go the route of Harley owners in an attempt to customize our bikes but minor variations on the theme really don't need to be shunned either.

Previous discussions on this topic inevitably ended-up with the (deviant) owner being anonymously criticized by suggesting that the product, or owner, lacks a sense of beauty. There's no need for this kind of behavior.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You gotta do what you like. Exhaust is expensive so look for nice used systems. I always thought the TOCE looks cheap in terms of quality, but so does a non-exotic Termignoni from up close. I personally like the 916 style spigots, but that's because I'm old probably :-D

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
Toce sound fine but have the welding quality of Termi. Not the greatest. Heavy too. Arrow, Leo Vince, Akrapovic, MIVV and Zard make nice exhausts for the 848/1x98.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're not concerned with a full system, the A&R baffles in combination with a flash have worked well for me! At only ~$100 and some elbow grease, it's hard to complain about the cost, and it sounds good to boot!

Some may complain that it's too loud, but it is a 'race' baffle so keep that in mind if you're state/county has noise ordinance laws.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like the real winner in this deal ended up being the Ducati. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts