Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to adjust the rear sag but can not move the top ring at all.

·
Registered
436 Posts
A small blast of your favortie de greaser to the threads above the lock nut, an old tooth brush to dis lodge the accumulated grime helps. I have also found a small drift and some light persuasion also helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep. What he said. Mine took more force than I anticipated to move it loose. Unfortunately I think I need a new spring, even after adjustment.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
you need 2 shock wrenches and a bit of muscle. if that doesn't work, either put a breaker bar on the wrench or smack it with a hammer (watch your fingers :D)

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
unfortunately you can't replace the spring on your own, it has atleast 15mm of preload on it when adjusted out all the way so it requires a spring compressor to remove the securing plate and replace the spring.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Replace with properly sprung TTX.... :D

j/k

Two shock spanners or what I originally did was put a rag around the end of a flathead screwdriver and hammer the ring loose. The bitch about using two shock spanners is the limited space to get enough leverage to bust it loose. Best to get a friend to help you out. Potential knuckle buster.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Two shock spanners or what I originally did was put a rag around the end of a flathead screwdriver and hammer the ring loose. The bitch about using two shock spanners is the limited space to get enough leverage to bust it loose. Best to get a friend to help you out. Potential knuckle buster.
+1! This is all so true!

·
Registered
56 Posts
unfortunately you can't replace the spring on your own, it has atleast 15mm of preload on it when adjusted out all the way so it requires a spring compressor to remove the securing plate and replace the spring.
Yes I'm just waiting on the shop to get me some numbers and will go from there. I was pretty sure I'd need a new spring from the start, but thought is adjust while I had this one anyway. ...can't believe how stiff these things are set up from the factory.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You can use a manual shock or spring compressor meant for a car. You can rent one from a few local part stores and it shoukd be able to squeeze the spring enough to safely remove the securing ring. I have done it a few times but you have to be careful. Accessories | AutoZone.com MacPherson-strut-spring-compressor/_/N-26gi?itemIdentifier=70135&_requestid=43642

1 - 12 of 12 Posts