Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wanted to share stupid situation I got into. I imported 1199 superleggera from states to europe. Now trying to register it. Unfortunately 1199 sg VIN number is not stamped on frame, its just a sticker! I think this was done so, couse magnesium would crack. First I thought that maybe something was done to my VIN, but then checked my friends SG and it’s the same - white sticker with vin printed on it. I went to our registry center and asked if they register bike with such vin. I was told that it must be stamped. They have database with vin photos of all registered vehicles in country and I thought they just can check my friends sg (that is already registered) VIN as a prove, that I’m not the only one with printed VIN. But that does not count for new vehicles, as they get their license plates issued without inspecting bike, just bringing papers from a dealer. Does anyone could help me getting a contact from ducati, to get some official letter of confirmation that superleggera has no stamped vin?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Email Ducati direct - [email protected] - they are usually prompt in their replies

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, just wanted to share stupid situation I got into. I imported 1199 superleggera from states to europe. Now trying to register it. Unfortunately 1199 sg VIN number is not stamped on frame, its just a sticker! I think this was done so, couse magnesium would crack. First I thought that maybe something was done to my VIN, but then checked my friends SG and it’s the same - white sticker with vin printed on it. I went to our registry center and asked if they register bike with such vin. I was told that it must be stamped. They have database with vin photos of all registered vehicles in country and I thought they just can check my friends sg (that is already registered) VIN as a prove, that I’m not the only one with printed VIN. But that does not count for new vehicles, as they get their license plates issued without inspecting bike, just bringing papers from a dealer. Does anyone could help me getting a contact from ducati, to get some official letter of confirmation that superleggera has no stamped vin?
Thanks in advance

View attachment 170805
I have dealt with Ducati on several occasions and they have been more than accommodating, each time replying within a day or so. California DMV inspector could not find the VIN number on my D16 (was under tank) and would not register the bike unless I had an official letter from Ducati stating the bike was California legal. After a call to Ducati, I had the letter emailed to me the next day. Same situation with my Paul Smart and the letter was emailed to me the same day. I spent a day at the DMV while attempting to register my Superleggera because the inspector could not find the engine number anywhere, again I had to get a letter from Ducati certifying the engine belonged to the particular VIN number. Again the letter was emailed the same day. California is the toughest state to register vehicles, there is a different emission standards just for California which has to be noted on the emission sticker, the inspection is in person with the bike.! Good luck. Give them a call.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts