Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an 1198S (or so I think!) used from a high-end car dealership. It was a trade in - I'm thinking buddy bought it because he saw it in a move, put a full Termi exhaust, a chip, shorty-shifters... scared the hell out of himself and traded it in. End result is I picked up an '09 at a great price and am happy as shit!! BUT, I can't access the DTC menu at start-up. I hold the "B" button for several seconds but nothing shows up. I was concerned that maybe buddy only bought some 1198S decals but it also has the steering dampner and considering the $ he spent on the thing before shitting himself I doubt the previous owner would have went this route. So... any ideas on why the DTC does not show up on my menu options? Any help would be appreciated - been riding my whole life but this is my first Ducati. Cant believe I waited this friggin long for 2 wheeled perfection!!!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Check the tail by removing the cowl cover or passenger seat. If you see an odd square dimple with three screws, then you have the DTC module.

Turn the ignition on, scroll UP the menu until you find DTC. It is off, then hold the DOWN button for a few seconds to turn it on.

Keep in mind that the base 1198 also has a damper! However the 1198s has Gold color Ohlins suspension, including the better damper.

Good luck identifying your bike and enjoy it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dyanez - just went out and confirmed the module is there. I also have the proper dampner for the S model. I am fairly confident it is the S model but have no idea why it doesn't show up in the menu. It is not there though. As a bit of maybe side-note, there were issues getting the key replaced when I bought it. Could this be a source of the problem. Any other ideas? The local dealership does not seem competent beyond basic maintenance or I would go see them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't know about your bike but on my F1098S when you turn the DTC off it wont come up when scrolling with the top button. When scrolling with the bottom button it will be evident & allow you to engage .

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think that you changed the ecu for the termignoni exhaust and the ecu should be the 1198s race ecu. on your bike the ecu is the 1198 base model race ecu, so the bike is like a 1198 base model.
change the ecu to a 1198s ecu and you will see the dtc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i think you have the wrong ecu.
put the key on ignition: check the dashboard and write here what you see

you should read one of these:

SBK 1198S TSE (if you have stock exhaust)
1198S RACING (if you have slip-on, just the termi cans)
1198S RACING EVO (if you have the complete exhaust)

if you don't see the S (it's only 1198 RACING for example) you have the wrong ecu

·
Registered
496 Posts
Check the tail by removing the cowl cover or passenger seat. If you see an odd square dimple with three screws, then you have the DTC module.

Turn the ignition on, scroll UP the menu until you find DTC. It is off, then hold the DOWN button for a few seconds to turn it on.

Keep in mind that the base 1198 also has a damper! However the 1198s has Gold color Ohlins suspension, including the better damper.

Good luck identifying your bike and enjoy it!

I thought that the dtc box mounted under the tail meaning tailsection had to be lifted or removed to gain access. Pics?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My owner's manual says that it should say1198 Racing if you've got the full exhaust on an 1198S and that is what it flashes when you key on. Im in Canada if it matters. I am going to send a quick email to Ducati with my VIN and problem and see if they can help. I could try the local dealership but dont have tonnes of confidence in them to be honest.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My owner's manual says that it should say1198 Racing if you've got the full exhaust on an 1198S and that is what it flashes when you key on. Im in Canada if it matters. I am going to send a quick email to Ducati with my VIN and problem and see if they can help. I could try the local dealership but dont have tonnes of confidence in them to be honest.
if you see "1198 Racing" you don't have dtc because you have the wrong ecu. you have a slip-on ecu (not for the exhaust) for the base model...

i have the 1198 S ecu and it flash "1198S Racing" on start...go to the dealer and ask for the right ecu.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A weekend trip to the dealer then... but just to re-iterate, my owners manual says I should be seeing "1198 Racing" (for Canadian models) for an "S" model with full exhaust. All I know is I love this machine... absolute bliss... but I really would like to make sure I am getting all of the "S" I can out of it.

Thanks for the help thus far!

·
Registered
193 Posts
as i said you have the wrong ecu! it should have the "s" on the 1198 racing so take one ecu from ebay and you are done!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks guys. Not sure why he would put this ECU on but I'll call the dealer on Monday.
lots of dealer and people made a mistake last year with the new termi's because it was not written anywhere that base and S was 2 different kit with 2 different p/n and ecu.

So for sure the dealer ordered the full termi's for the 1198 without spec that he had an S model.

I read the UM, there is a mistake even in the italian version, but maybe is because the UM is the same for the base and the S version, so it's written "1198 Racing" without S.

Now you need a new Ecu, or you need to reflash that ONE.
Talk to your dealer, the ecu is really expensive and you have to get it for free.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
If you have an 1198S with the 2010 Full 70mm Termi's (as you stated) with the CORRECT ECU then you should NOT have "1198 Racing" OR "1198S Racing"

You should see "1198S RACE EVO" at start up.

Iceman covered it in post #8. (Kinda) :stickpoke

1 - 17 of 17 Posts