Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about Carbon Fiber these days Gloss or Matte??

I order some Matte stuff and it came in but i'm thinking the gloss stands out more then the Matte so you can see it better.. Maybe it was my lightning in my garage but the matte you really have to get up close to see it. I feel the Carbon gets lost in matte and gloss really brings it out more.

Sorry my old ass is coming from the Harley world so i don't know much about carbon and what people are putting on these days. I do know i like the way it looks on these bikes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gloss 2x2 twill carbon has been the standard for years. Twill is the offset weave with a bit of a Chevron pattern to it. It's bling in the technical high performance sense. For some, the high vis, shout it out carbon look of glossy twill is a bit pretentious (IMHO) so the market has responded with more subtle offerings. I like traditional glossy twill carbon but the new matte offerings look modern by comparison. Matte carbon can always be clear coated to change the appearance later down the road. Not to easy to alter glossy carbon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gloss 2x2 twill carbon has been the standard for years. Twill is the offset weave with a bit of a Chevron pattern to it. It's bling in the technical high performance sense. For some, the high vis, shout it out carbon look of glossy twill is a bit pretentious (IMHO) so the market has responded with more subtle offerings. I like traditional glossy twill carbon but the new matte offerings look modern by comparison. Matte carbon can always be clear coated to change the appearance later down the road. Not to easy to alter glossy carbon.
thank you, this is the kind info i was looking for.

·
Registered
185 Posts
thank you, this is the kind info i was looking for.
It can also be difficult getting consistency in the weave & finish if sourcing from different vendors. Perhaps a blend of textures and lustres would work. I love high gloss carbon wheels but the technical look of standard weave or unidirectional matte looks awesome on body panels and fenders.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Obsession

LMFAO.
This is one of my absolute BIGGEST fascinations when it comes to all my Ducatis and I have been told I am way too over the top nuts regarding it all too. Its just the way I am - :loser:

Carbon Fiber = Meant to be dripping wet looking, shine so much you can see yourself in it, so glossy it shows each single web and stitch of the actual fiber itself - and ALL over the bike replacing as many regular parts as possible! Crazy enough yet? :D

The pic attached was once the stock front fender that comes in matte on the 1199- and subsequently turned into this work of art by none other than........Sean Lezotte from CCR !! :yo:

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ha, I'm another old ass coming from a Harley. Don't particulary care for carbon myself, but I do prefer gloss over mat...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, I'm another old ass coming from a Harley. Don't particulary care for carbon myself, but I do prefer gloss over mat...

I never liked it either but these bikes need it. I'm about 75% compete on the bike with carbon and I went with the matt. You don't appreciate it until you replace all that exposed plastic. But damn is it expensive to do the whole bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts