Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winter project Cat/baffle removal??

Looking to do a winter project and after reading some users reports on debaffling I want to try my hand at it. I wanted to see if any of you who have done it ran into any problems after doing so with the stock ECU. Im not dropping that kind of money yet so I want to make sure the thing won't have any starting issues or "service" messages on the screen.

Next I plan to cerakote once I have them off. Has anyone tried their luck at this yet? Also has anyone had luck with color matching to the red Trellis frame. Im probably going to Matte black but would love to have some bright cans.

With the rebuild of the can, what size/type rivets are being used.

Also when cutting the can shorter, so that it does not extend beyond the end of the tail, which side is being cut from? the front (engine side) or back (tail side)?

Any other winter project DIY suggestions?:idea:

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I was trying to save $ I thought about the cutting the cans and taking out the cat...
There was actually good videos of a couple different people doing it and after watching them, decided hell no. Plus I wanted carbon pipes. When I was explaining to my buddy about cutting pipes he brought it into perspective:
"so you bought one of the best looking bikes ever made and you want to make it look trashy instead of doing it right?... it's not a gsxr". Ouch but he was right.
Have you seen the classifieds lately? 2 sets of Akros and a full system of Leo Vince. All in great shape and all 3 are listed at $700! Why mess with stock cans? IMO
What else to do? Take that damn exup servo out and get the servo buddy. While you are there, if it is on your bike - remove the charcoal cannister.
Good luck man

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point on all.
Id like to get a bike to tinker with rather than use this one but its all I have at the moment and I want to play this winter. kind of why Im posing the questions here first.
Good idea with the charcoal canister, that will for sure get done. will that cause any error codes?

thanks again

·
Registered
101 Posts
You won't get any codes for the canister if you get the servo buddy. There is also a diy for cutting just the cables and leaving the servo but what good is that? Get rid of all the trash.
No codes for charcoal canister either.
I threw a code for for the servo but it doesn't put the engine into limp mode like some bikes.
I was a little worried about removing it but I swear it sounds better.
You will notice a HUGE temperature difference with the cats gone for sure!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just did this last 2 weeks ago. Found no problems but may be running a little lean. The first muffler took a little while as I went through the learning curve, but with the right tools, it's not as hard (especially the cat removal) as people make it out to be. One thing for sure, I used way more tools thank A&R had in their instructions. By the way, the exhaust is raw and loud, not for the faint of heart, but I love it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.