Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back late last night from my 3rd time at Road America. Did one track day with STT first, and then 4 races with CCS. Unfortunately my bike ran like crap the whole weekend, until I figured out right before the last race that the problem was with the QS I had just put on. It would randomly cut ignition when coming out of corners and it just killed my drive...usually in the 2nd gear turns leading onto straights.

I took it off finally and the problems went away, but I'm kicking myself because I didn't think to do it sooner. I had to quit the 2nd race because it was so bad. I got 2nd in class, and 5th overall (out of 9 only) in Supertwins once again, but in the other 2 I did pretty bad. I managed to get faster with each race, and by the end I finally broke under 2:40 slightly, which isn't great by any means...but at least it's a good improvement from last time I was there last year when I was doing high 40s.

After this weekend I'm starting to agree with Bob about the way groups should be split at track days. They should have novice, intermediate, advanced, and racers...because my pace during the track day was pretty good for advanced group, but once the expert racers started showing up, they were on a whole different level.

Got a couple of shaky videos that I may post later...not sure why the camera was shaking so much worse than before even though it was mounted the same...and the one I had on the rear didn't work worth a damn...but oh well, not much to see behind me anyway :eek:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a couple of races:

I got faster throughout the weekend. Even though I did terrible in the Unlimited GP race, chasing the guy on the GSXR helped me improve my times by about 2 seconds on average.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those 2 in the videos above, and Unlimited Superbike and GTO.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Good for you Rub!! Sounds like you had a fun time! Some AHRMA friends of mine were there the same weekend... Charlie Mavros and Seth Starnes, did you happen to visit with them? Mavros has a large white show hauler with a white trailer, usually with three or four Ducatis and a Team Challenge bike. I saw, on Facebook, that he had won @ least one race. Love Road America on a Ducati!!!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good for you Rub!! Sounds like you had a fun time! Some AHRMA friends of mine were there the same weekend... Charlie Mavros and Seth Starnes, did you happen to visit with them? Mavros has a large white show hauler with a white trailer, usually with three or four Ducatis and a Team Challenge bike. I saw, on Facebook, that he had won @ least one race. Love Road America on a Ducati!!!
Recognize the names from the time sheets, but that's about it. Did not visit with them. Only Ducati guy I talked to was Dave Gygax who raced an 1199 and now just switched to a 1299 and is putting his 1199 for sale. He was pitted next to us and his company (ASI) was a new sponsor for the GT races and offered cash prizes for top 5 in each class. His 1199 has a Pro-Shift semi-auto shifting setup on the left handle bar, so you shift either up or down by pushing a button with your thumb, and without using the clutch. It's pretty awesome, but expensive! He was going to let me race it when he heard about the issues I was having with my bike, but I thought better of it :eek:

Cory West was there and ruined the fun for all the fast guys, by lapping 2-3 seconds faster than the next best guy and dominating every race he took part in...though he was mainly there for the Team Challenge where he and his teammate lapped the entire field in their class.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
^^^ Cory West!!! That means he lapped my friends in the Team Challenge as they were first in their class...Like I have posted/quoted many times....

"There are many levels of humility in the sport we all love!"

(I think I first heard that remark from Mark Shelton in a riders meeting @ a STT trackday event)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only team they didn't lap was the winner of the 600 class...the Worldwide Anderson built R6 ridden by Scott Stall and someone else whom I don't know. They're from MN so you probably don't know them, but Scott is a freaky fast guy and the R6 he rode is a hell of a bike (pushing around 145 hp at the wheel on MR12 gas). You know you're fast when you're doing low 20s at RA on a 600!!!

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Btw Rub...how did you like the new paving? Do you know if there are plans for additional paving?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I wouldn't sweat your starts. Mine aren't much better then yours. I think it is just a thing that takes some practice. Any more races planned for the year? And have you finally rid yourself of that crazy notion of selling your Ducati yet?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Btw Rub...how did you like the new paving? Do you know if there are plans for additional paving?
It sucks! Apparently I was told by the people that were there before in May/June that it was smooth as silk, and then about 2 weeks ago they had some car races and the cars tore it all up. Turn 5 is all messed up...worse than it was before! 14 is great though. 6 and 8 didn't get torn up as bad, but they're not as smooth as they were when it was fresh. The fast guys said the new pavement would've cut anyone's lap times by a good 1-2 seconds, but now that it got torn up again you might as well ADD 1-2 seconds to your times! Turn 5 is that bad!...lots of crashes there that weekend because unless you can run the perfect line and hug that apex, you're screwed if you go even a few feet wide. Still not as bad as the dude that blew his engine on the back straight at Kettle Bottoms and smacked into the wall on the right side. Was a big mess and I heard the guy got hurt pretty bad. Hope he'll be ok.

I wouldn't sweat your starts. Mine aren't much better then yours. I think it is just a thing that takes some practice. Any more races planned for the year? And have you finally rid yourself of that crazy notion of selling your Ducati yet?
Not really to the first question, and definitely not to the 2nd. I'll probably do 1 more race here locally (not with CCS, just with my local track day org which does a couple of races after the track days on Saturdays...it's a new thing). But this weekend only strengthened my notion of selling the 1198. However, the RSV4 plan is a no-go now...my friend changed his mind so he won't be selling it anymore.

Reactions: Gunny Fitz

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Hate to hear that about the track surface. Cars and new asphalt do not mix well on a road course like Road America.. glad I was there earlier!!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Money for now ;)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way Bob...the 200 Michelin fit just barely on. Tire warmer is a bit tight to put on and off but there was no rubbing even at 160 mph. Overall, not sure what to think of the Michelins. I took the Bridgestone V01's off, put the Michelins on and noticed 0 difference. If someone would've swapped my tires without me knowing, I would've never known. Felt pretty much the same while riding. However, they do appear to last longer (but I only have 1 day on them...so I'll see after some more riding).

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Good to know! If you were to continue to use the 200, I would suggest slotting your rear brake caliper
holder and going to a 100 link chain. (or use Pat's method). What compound was the slicks, and what air pressure were you using? I have used the new EVO slicks, and they are very, very good, and the tire wear is much better than the previous Power Slicks. A good friend won his race and was very impressed with the tire...

Reactions: rubbish

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to know! If you were to continue to use the 200, I would suggest slotting your rear brake caliper
holder and going to a 100 link chain. (or use Pat's method). What compound was the slicks, and what air pressure were you using? I have used the new EVO slicks, and they are very, very good, and the tire wear is much better than the previous Power Slicks. A good friend won his race and was very impressed with the tire...
It was the medium compound. Tire wear was great, though I only have about 20 laps on them, so there's not a lot of wear on them yet. Was using the recommended pressures from Michelin and other people who run them (32 hot front, and 25 hot rear)

Money for a nice used 1199??!!
:laughing:...we've talked about it via PM not long ago, remember? ;)

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
For future info on the Power Slick EVO, if needed, we were told to warm the tires for 45 minutes before going out... then adjust the air pressure to 23psi (rear) and 31psi (front).... first time I used a hot tire rating... ususally for the Power Slicks I was given cold tire pressures of 21 (rear) and 29 (front
felt similar to me, but I was not pushing very hard at all, kinda feeling them out and the track was kinda cool and for the most part damp/wet!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts