Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay there,

I'm a new Ducati owner -1996 900ss CR- and I have always just used what I had for chain lube before now. PJ 1, Bel-Ray, Lucus Oil, so on. What's the best lubricant for daily driving? Waxes, sprays, greases, or heavy liquids? What are the better brand names? Also, what are the better chain cleaning solvents and tools out there?

Thanks in advance!

JG

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You will get all sorts of responses to this. Personally I use kerosene to clean the chain (after a short ride to warm it up), and then bel-ray non-fling chain lube. Clean and lubricate every 500 miles or so. Every other chain cleaning I clean the entire front and rear sprocket as well.

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
I just clean my chain down every 3-400K with either WD-40 or kerosene. No lube so no fling or such. If it rains, I clean it right after the rain has stopped. If I'm on a long trip and can't really clean it constantly, I use Motul Road Line lube. Goes on clear, dries up quick and isn't sticky like a lot of lubes end up being when they dry. Fling is very minimal and easy to clean with some kerosene or WD-40.

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
to lube or not to lube that is the question!

W/D to clean, pj 1 to lube for me about every 500 miles give or take on how dirty it looks.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I just clean my chain down every 3-400K with either WD-40 or kerosene. No lube so no fling or such. If it rains, I clean it right after the rain has stopped. If I'm on a long trip and can't really clean it constantly, I use Motul Road Line lube. Goes on clear, dries up quick and isn't sticky like a lot of lubes end up being when they dry. Fling is very minimal and easy to clean with some kerosene or WD-40.
If you're going to use a chain lube, use kerosene to clean the chain. WD-40 leaves an oil residue that makes it difficult for lube to stick — so you get more fling.

Used often, WD-40 as both a cleaner and light oil lubricant also works well for me.

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
If you're going to use a chain lube, use kerosene to clean the chain. WD-40 leaves an oil residue that makes it difficult for lube to stick — so you get more fling.

Used often, WD-40 as both a cleaner and light oil lubricant also works well for me.
Well that explains why I get fling from the "no fling" lube...

Its pretty easy to clean off if you do it right away, I also found less lube is more lube...

·
Registered
12,936 Posts

I completely agree with you. I only use the lube when on a long trip which means it's going on 3-400K after I've used WD-40 to clean so the chain is fairly dry by then.

·
Registered
509 Posts
wd 40 offers the least parasitic drag and rolls the freest. Has to be cleaned and relubed quite often however.
Lots of the sticky "non sticky" chain lubes attract road grime and dirt.

wd 40 is also great for lubing your brakes so you only need one can a lube for the whole bike!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts