Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Ducati Monster sie 900

Reaching out to fellow riders. Here is my story in a nut shell.

Ducati changed my chain and sprocket 1k ago

Chain snapped at the master link cracking the case

I did not go back at "500 miles" to adjust, so they aren't taking full responsibility. Which was not on my invoice and I wasn't made an appointment for such check up.

Ducati spoke with the manufacturer and they are turning their head the other way due to it being a wearable part.

My options from ducati:

I buy a new engine and they install for free.

Auction my bike and purchase a new one.

Sell it on my own and purchase a consignment bike for a "great deal".

My option:

Talk to a lawyer?
Email corporate?
Tell them it's their fault and they have to give me a bike of the same or more value?

Any incite will help thank you everyone.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I would discuss this situation with Ducati's Regional Service Manager. I am at a loss to suggest your best course of action.

I would start with the assumption that the most likely cause is an error in installing the master link by the Ducati service technician.

Either the master link rivet was not peened-over properly or a master link clip was used.

If you check the chain manufacturer's website and catalog you'll find that they recommend only a rivet-type master link for all their strongest chains (used by Monsters) but allow clip-type or screw-type links for the less powerful bike applications that use lower tensile strength chains. Rivet-type links will have the same strength as the other machine-made links if peened over properly.

As chains wear they get slightly longer so they should be inspected occasionally for becoming too loose.

The dealer suggested 500 mile post-installation inspection would only result in the chain needing tightening, not loosening. Chains don't fail because they are too loose, so the 500 mile inspection argument doesn't apply here

Chains fail if they are adjusted too tight such that they can't accommodate full swingarm travel. Too tight and they are subject to excessive tension that can lead to chain failure - usually at the weakest link, the master link.

So, either the master link was installed improperly or the chain was adjusted too tight by the service tech.

Disregard the above comments if you installed a substandard quality chain that has a inadequate tensile load failure rating.

·
Registered
9,787 Posts
Too tight they can also rip the sprocket and flange, etc clean off as well. As stated above, start with calling the Ducati regional manager first and then take a deep breathe.... If they won't help to sort it out, keep us posted and the Duc community is always here to help point the way.

·
Registered
244 Posts
2000 Ducati Monster sie 900

Chain snapped at the master link cracking the case
Cracked the case? Are you certain the crankcase half is cracked or is it merely the left side/alternator cover that is cracked?

If the alternator cover is cracked and not the crankcase also, then another option is to just replace the alternator cover.

They're relatively cheap for the air cooled engines, and a rather wide span of them will work. Far less expense and work than a whole engine.

Oh, and if that is the case, and you elected to replace the left side cover, get a case saver too. That'll save a bunch of future headaches in the event of a chain failure.

FWIW though, your dealer should fess up and take care of you. At least based on what you've presented to us here............sean

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Cracked the case? Are you certain the crankcase half is cracked or is it merely the left side/alternator cover that is cracked?
It's the engine casing that get damaged. Some owners install a case protector.

I have mixed feelings about this modification.

If failed chains simply spit straight off the rear of the bike every time then, I guess,I’d be OK in trying to save the engine casing using a shield.

When a chain breaks, the damage can often include bending the transmission output shaft, damage to the clutch slave and clutch push rod, the shifting spindle, rear wheel hugger, and the left exhaust can.

Unfortunately, sometimes the chain wedges between the drive sprocket and the engine casing with enough force to result in costly damage to the casing. But this might be a good thing.

My main concern is that adding a shield between the sprocket and casing will reinforce this area in such a way as to stop the engine quickly if the chain wedges in there. From a rider safety point-of-view, a chain failure occurring in the upper segment, can cause rear wheel lock-up, which is especially upsetting when leaned over in a corner.

Images Credit: Amullo

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd probably check to make sure the chain they installed was the correct part... AND, if they used a master link and clip... make sure it was the correct size. It's been a while since I changed a chain, but I have some generic master link replacements in the tool box. If they used a link/clip, it may not have been supplied with the chain, rather it was sourced individually... and might be of dubious quality, or, worse, the wrong size.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
As the 900 is only putting out 82 hp it falls into the 'acceptable can use' for clip links. By I always smear some silastic on the clip.

As it broke and is gone you can't prove it was on arse about... unless you remembered to take the wanky.. look at my new chain.. picture.

This would be fine and there would be no point talking to Ducati or corporate about this as it would be a dealer service issue.

Just take it to bbb or equivalent and see how that goes.

·
Court Jester
11,926 Posts
Document everything, phone calls, names, date etc...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don’t think Ducati corporate would be of any assistance since it is an older model and not a defect or warranty item. Like said above just make sure it’s not the alt cover and it is actually the case that’s bad. Either way the dealer should be responsible IMO. On a side note everything is fixable. If the case is cracked there are plenty of great welders out there that can fix it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ducati corporate needs to know there is a problem with one of their dealers... if there are consistent problems with service quality.

I had an old Yamaha XS650 that a broken chain cracked the case... they just welded it up. I understand there is a bit of a difference between the two cases, of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate all the help guys/gals. I will take this info to ducati this week and I'll keep you all posted. Thank you again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yea but still , u went to an oficial ducati expert and payed for the work
And they have installed it incorrectly
So they are responsible for there work yes or yes!!!

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
No

Unless where you are is different to most of the world, the dealer will be an independent shop authorised to sell the brand.

Issue is with the shop / business not Ducati. Nothing to do with the brand or your national distributor.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
No

Unless where you are is different to most of the world, the dealer will be an independent shop authorised to sell the brand.

Issue is with the shop / business not Ducati. Nothing to do with the brand or your national distributor.

·
Court Jester
11,926 Posts
No

However it is in the best interest of the “brand” to apply pressure to the shop or even help them out if they are representing the brand.

As I tell everyone it doesn’t hurt to ask. You’d be surprised how much people want to do the right thing.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Agreed
They could make a representation on the O P's behalf however with the age of bike and likely not a regular buyer, customer (unknown hypothesis), not really a Ducati corporate fight.

If it was a 2016 bike, still borderline, but they might show more interest.

Reactions: Tchase

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don’t let the dealer pawn this off on Ducati, it’s their screw up. If Ducati won’t warranty it, it’s because they know this and aren’t going to pay for the dealers mistake. Then the dealer blames Ducati for not covering it under warranty so nobody takes responsibility.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I installed a case guard, but on my SS I also made a top chain guide using a wide roller bearing. If the chain breaks the bearing will cause the chain to feed through slicker than dog snot without wadding up and breaking the case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why is everyone so sure the dealer screwed up? Chains can and do fail. 1000 miles isn't much but some chains only have a 30 day warranty. It's an 18 year old bike, Ducati corporate doesn't care what replacement part failed, and can't prove the dealer did anything wrong, so... good luck but I doubt Ducati will do anything. And honestly I don't see why they should. The dealer is offering some assistance even though there's no proof they did anything wrong either. The chain manufacturer hasn't been mentioned and is the only place offering any sort of warranty on the part.

The situation sucks but there's no proof anyone did anything wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts