Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
39 will be better off the line and improve low speed traffic and manuevering ability.
15/38 is stock, 14/38 is the cheap mod for a new bike with a new chain, 15/39 or 40 with a new chain is the way to make the bike more street freindly, and as pat had stated, easier to run tracks with tight/short corners.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
One thing I forgot to ask is whether a change of gearing will affect speedo accuracy .... ?

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
speedo is based off a reare wheel speed sensor mounted by the caliper. It records actual wheel speed, not calculated off the engine and trans.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
glad to hear that, thanks.

I just picked the bike up from the shop after sprocket replacement and although it was a rather short and not very spirited ride, the change to the gearing was more noticeable than I expected! I can't wait to get out and ride her for a longer period in the next couple of days . . .

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
pat1098, just a follow up on gearing. Your advice was dead on, thank you! Just got back from a 2 day track session on a somewhat tight and twisty track and I would say the gearing was just where I wanted it to be! That in addition to mostly street use absolutely fits my riding style perfectly. Thanks so much :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
i have a 2008 1098. i did the cheap mod and went with a 14t front. it is good and i feel it is not too short. my superhawk is shorter and i like it's gearing more.

i think i will get a new chain and sprockets with my fall maintenance/storage. i am thinking did 525 vzm-x for extra life and less stretch, and 14/39 or even 14/40 sprockets. am i nuts?

·
Registered
705 Posts
i see did has a new silver/ss/nickel finish. i know gold shows dirt better than plain steel. is the new ss/nickel/silver better at showing the dirt?

where should i buy?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I went with 15/39 and I agree with several people on the forum that's probably the best combination for road/track use and so far I haven't regretted that choice!

·
Banned
922 Posts
i have a 2008 1098. i did the cheap mod and went with a 14t front. it is good and i feel it is not too short. my superhawk is shorter and i like it's gearing more.

i think i will get a new chain and sprockets with my fall maintenance/storage. i am thinking did 525 vzm-x for extra life and less stretch, and 14/39 or even 14/40 sprockets. am i nuts?
Nope. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
... i am thinking did 525 vzm-x for extra life and less stretch, and 14/39 or even 14/40 sprockets. am i nuts?
Nope, not nuts. I'm running 14/39 with the OEM 525 chain (about 6k miles) and it is tons of fun. The bike accelerates like a land rocket and hits the soft rev limiter at 170 mph indicated. It will easliy pull away from a ZX14/'Busa at anything less than top speed (170).

·
Banned
3,178 Posts

The 14 is a good mod for someone who doesn't want to invest the money for a whole new drive train. since you like the 14 (although I still think its just a bit much) and you already plan on dropping the cash on a complete drive, go 15 up front, get a quickchange carier and go up 2-3 on the back over stock. stay 525 for longevity since it's a street bike and put a cox case saver in while you're already there. you won't regret it and it allows you to change your gearing more easily for future tinkering.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I did 14T the easy mod because my bike were new at time. When I needed chain replacement, I'll put 15T back with 39/40 rear.

Yes, it required more gear change... for 1098 might be okay but 848??

21 - 36 of 36 Posts