Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently (a few weeks ago) acquired an 03 monster 620, and it seemed to run fine. When I turn it off my right turn signal flashes alternating with the center amber light three or four times and then I get a little blinking Amber light on the gauge cluster which I assume is the immobilizer Doing It's Thing whilst I leave it for the night.

Anyway last night I seemed to have trouble starting the bike (chugged a bit while trying to start), the power of the headlight was fluctuating even after the bike started, and I thought uh-oh, I don't know how old this battery is but it's probably on its last legs. Sure enough on the way home the bike just sort of stalled out and died, and would not start. Fortunately I was a half block away and I wheeled it in. Here I figure the battery has taken a proverbial dump - didn't know a bike could die while running with a bad battery but apparently that's a thing on fuel injected bikes.

So I change the battery. Not a big deal, simple thing, whatever. The bike starts, all seems well. Now, however, I get a plethora of flashing lights when I turn the bike off. My right indicator flashes three times, then the Amber middle light stays on for a tick. Rinse, repeat ad nauseum. It literally won't stop this pattern until...

If I click my left indicator button it stops and the little amber light just blinks, as usual. It's all very strange, and seems to me like it's some kind of code. Perhaps little Timmy is trapped in the well, or something more serious is afoot.

Any ideas? Thoughts on what it means?

Other issues related to the gauge cluster that were preexisting when I purchased the bike: the tachometer doesn't work - it's sitting at 3k rpm while the bike is off. The little LCD displays in the pods are kind of burnt out looking - typical of old LCDs, they're hard to read. However, on turning the bike on the left reads maint and the right reads t8. After a few minutes the left will read my odometer and the right the temperature. I'm sure none of this is relevant but I figured I'd disclose everything I know.

My research on the Google has yielded mixed results as it's tough to describe and Google hasn't rolled out their semantic engine yet. Any help at all is much appreciated.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
It does sound like it might have stored a code and is blinking it to you. On a full digital dash it would display the code when you turn the key on and the bike powers up but as yours is older, it might blink your lights as it is doing.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
No idea what the code might be. MAINT on the dash refers to your regular maintenance needing to be done. Ducati's flash that when the mileage gets to certain points to alert the rider to needed maintenance. It's also possible that your stator is going which is why your bike wouldn't stay running and that's the code being shown.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The failing while riding because of a battery concerns me. If the engine is running it should be producing enough voltage the continue running without the battery installed. Check your voltage while it is running. A bad regulator can reduce or spike voltage. A voltage spike could cause quite a number of failures with electronics. Take some measurements of voltage when the engine is on and off. Then post some picks of the cluster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.