Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bike is a 2014 Monster 796 (I forgot to mention this initially)

Was riding home from work the other day when suddenly the Check Engine light comes on, the engine quickly stalled. I pulled over to check and the light is no longer on, but the engine feels really bogged down, and the bike cannot get up to speed. This phenomenon kept on for about 10 minutes before returning to normal.
Has anyone else experienced anything else like this?

EDIT 1: I took it to a mechanic today as the problem persisted and I cannot start the bike anymore. It seemed to be faulting wirings and the previous owner (I got a used bike) might've done something that he shouldn't, I'll provide more updates later.
EDIT 2: I got my bike back today, and it turned out that the previous owner tried to install additional lights and messed up the wiring. The problem has bene resolved and everything is fine now.
Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
286 Posts
yes on my Monster 821 felt like a limp mode - it was a Throttle position sensor. A new throttle assembly fixed the problem.

If it happens again it's something to look at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes on my Monster 821 felt like a limp mode - it was a Throttle position sensor. A new throttle assembly fixed the problem.

If it happens again it's something to look at.
Great to hear that, I was afraid that the problem was far more serious as I've never encountered anything quite like this. I'll see to the throttle assembly, thanks!

·
Registered
'01 750SS ie
65 Posts
That may not be for sure the issue. There are several things that can cause it to go into limp home. Any of 4 sensors going bad could also be the problem among other things.... The dealer can plug in a diagnostic PC to get the codes and tell you exactly what it is. Then you can fix it yourself most of the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone, my bike does not have a quickshift and the closest Ducati dealer to me, which is 300km away, is currently inaccessible due to the current situations. But I do have suspicion that it may be the neutral switch :unsure:, since the bike's neutral has shown issues before, so I'll check that.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
'01 750SS ie
65 Posts
Thanks for the reply everyone, my bike does not have a quickshift and the closest Ducati dealer to me, which is 300km away, is currently inaccessible due to the current situations. But I do have suspicion that it may be the neutral switch :unsure:, since the bike's neutral has shown issues before, so I'll check that.
Many thanks!
You can jump the two wires from the switch to test that theory. What bike do you have BTW? Didn't see it mentioned....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.