Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I just bought a 2010 Streetfighter. It has 5000 miles and all stock. At purchase, the previous owner showed me that the CEL is on and the error code EXVL 23.3 was the reason. I searched this and other forums for fixes and it seems straight forward. So I went ahead a bought the bike.

The common reason being a stuck valve, broken servo motor...etc. Also that you can get rid off the CEL by using the DUC.EE unit.

After buying the bike, I also bought the DUC.EE hoping that it will clear the code. It didn't. CEL is still there.

So I went back to troubleshooting. I plugged the servo back in and start the bike. It didn't do its usual start-up check as indicated by other members. In other words, the motor never move at all when I start the bike.

I then proceeded to check the voltage on the motor connector. There suppose to be a 5V and a 12V to the motor. None of which was present at the corresponding pins of the connector. I then continuity check the wiring all the way to the dash (following the manual schematic) and all the wiring is good.

I also tried to go into the service menu (same menu to program new keys) to manually move the servo, but the EXVL SET menu wasn't even there. The 1098 that I have, that menu is there even with a full termi and DP ECU.

At this point, I think there are 2 possible reasons. 1) The dash is not putting out any power to the servo (which also wasn't there to power the DUC.EE). With no power, the DUC.EE (or servo motor) can't feed back to the dash to show that all is well. So I get a CEL that won't go away. OR 2) The ECU was some how changed (reflashed) and something didn't go 100% correct so there's no power sent to the servo and the CEL is forever on.

I just want to ask anyone out there with experience in this

1) Does the streetfighter have the exvl set menu - if it does, then mine is obviously got a bad ECU.

2) Could it be a bad dash that's not outputting the 5V to the servo for feedback signal?

3) Could a reflashed ECU somehow caused a CEL to stay on?

Thank you in advance and I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fixed

This was all because of the connectors at the steering head area of the bike. The pair that hook up the dash bundle with the main bundle (16 pin style one). It started out with the CEL not clearing on the dash, in which I found out that the dash wasn't getting any inputs from the DUC.EE and the DUC.EE wasn't getting the 5V from the dash. Both reasons were due to loose pins on the mentioned connectors.

Got that fixed, then the "key-on" pin of the connector got loose and the dash wouldn't come one. And when it came on all the turn signals would blink at the same time if any one direction is triggered. That one took a long time to troubleshoot, but again it was all because of the mentioned connectors.

I don't know why Ducati would cheap-out on a connector that carries at least 4 signals, which if any one of them is gone will turns off the bike (even while riding). I ordered a new 16 pin connector to replace this one. Best would be to get a aircraft grade circular connector (probably around $30), but I am not sure if it will fit in the space. Hope this will help anyone else out there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The circular aircraft connectors (cannon plug) are fairly bulky for their wire-count and are certainly a real pain to assemble. You could possibly get a good pair of sealed 8-set Furukawa connector sets and maybe a little bit of dielectric silicone on the rubber boots while assembling to assist in the sealing insurance. I also don't trust crimping only and will always solder even after the crimp. Just more cheap insurance because I hate rework when it comes to wiring.

Not sure about the streetfighter, but on the 848 the loom appears that it'd need to be split back a bit for this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts