Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the tires on their '18 1260S MTS? If so, what tires did you choose and why?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was even thinking of swapping the OEM Scorpion Trails for Rosso 3's right off the showroom floor.
The Rosso 3's are OEM on the big Monster S. I don't do dirt and don't tour. Moreover I like the sport tire feel and just may take my new 1260 PP to the track occasionally..

·
Registered
270 Posts
So far I have gone through the stock Pirelli Scorpions, a set of Super Corsa SP's, 2 sets of Angel Gt's. I actually prefer the stock tires best for all condition riding.

The SC's were fun but don't last long (got them from Pirelli at a track event).

The Angels are good commuters that can hit the curvy roads in the mountains well, but are a little more unpredictable in the rain than I prefer.

I'm at 21k miles on my 2018 already... That's alot of tires so far.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If anyone puts a set of Rosso 3 tires on let me know what you think. I have them on my Monster and they have been great on the track and in the mountains. I am wondering how they would be on the Multi

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
@JohnR
I'm hemming and hawing about this as well. As @Rusty Helmholtz mentioned, I'll go through the scorpions first and then decide.
I've had SC on my Monster and did not like the wear or lack thereof. However, I've had two pairs on my 959 Panigale and they were awesome. I also currently have Rosso 3's on the Monster and they're fine. Not as sticky as SC but much better in the cold or on dirty roads. I'm also highly considering Angel GT 2's for the Multi.

Reactions: JohnR

·
Registered
349 Posts
When you get a new set perhaps you can post what you put on and how you like them. Since I don't do any off road riding, I am thinking that a sport touring tire would offer better handling and grip...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I opted for a pair of Angel GT to replace the Scorpions. I did not choose the Angel GT2's as I'm not a fan of longitudinal groves on the front tire. I don't tour nor do I commute or ride in the rain. I just like twisty roads. Conequently, when the Angels are done, I'll mount Rosso 3's which I'm very familiar with. Moreover, the R3 is a taller tire with more lean angle than the Angel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went with Michelin Road 5 per dealer recommendation and love them. More grip IMHO on track days and wear very well. I avoid rain at all cost so i have nothing to report for the wet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If there's a take-away from this thread, it's the choice of category that should take precedence based on riding type and style.
Given the competitiveness between the top five tire manufacturers, the differences within the same category are very minute.
Tire Categories include:

Enduro Street [Tarmac & Dirt] (i.e. Scorpions, Tourance etc)
Touring [All Weather & Mileage] (i.e. Angel, Road 5, Roadtec 01)
Sport [All Weather & Lean Angle] (i.e. Rosso 3, Power 5, etc)
Hyper Sport [Road & Track 80/20] (i.e. Rosso Corsa, Power RS, etc)
Superbike [Road & Track 20/80] (i.e. Super Corsa, Power Cup 2, etc)

The Brand at this point is secondary where it then comes down to preferred characteristics such as, but not limited to price, looks or familiarity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 5k miles into Michelin Road 5 and works well in rain and cold (30-34 degrees), love‘me
I don’t track the Multi but ride aggressively in the twisty and they pitch easier and more confident builder than the Pirelli.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have 5k miles into Michelin Road 5 and works well in rain and cold (30-34 degrees), love‘me
I don’t track the Multi but ride aggressively in the twisty and they pitch easier and more confident builder than the Pirelli.
I'm not dissing the Road 5's as they are great for what they are but your comment is nebulous.
Compared to which Pirelli? The devil is in the details.
A pair of Pirelli Supercorsa's on your Multi when used accordingly, will make the Road 5's feel like heavy cement galoshes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a 2010 1200s and now have a 2019 1260s both of which have benefited from fitting Metzeler Roadtech 01 tyres. They are fairly long lasting, 4k miles on the back and twice as long on the front with mixed riding, long tours and high speed thrashing. I have not long ago fitted Roadtech 01se to my 1260s and found these to be even better grip from a lean angle point of view as they have a much more rounded profile and more surface area contact patch when cranked over. In mho I think they could possibly be the best all round tyre for this bike. I have tried other makes and always come back to these. The feed back they give the rider and the total grip wet or dry is fantastic and fills you with confidence.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am considering a set of the Angel GT2...has anyone tried those out? Is the amount of lean angle improved a bit?

I only ride street and an occasional track day. I spend a fair amount of time riding twisty roads in the mountains and the stock tires don't provide me with enough lean angle - although the grip has been fine.

I was hoping for a bit of durability ie...the Angel GT...but if not I would likely choose the Rosso 3 which I am very familiar with...

I appreciate any input, thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am considering a set of the Angel GT2...has anyone tried those out? Is the amount of lean angle improved a bit?

I only ride street and an occasional track day. I spend a fair amount of time riding twisty roads in the mountains and the stock tires don't provide me with enough lean angle - although the grip has been fine.

I was hoping for a bit of durability ie...the Angel GT...but if not I would likely choose the Rosso 3 which I am very familiar with...

I appreciate any input, thanks

I have both the Angel GT's (Multistrada) and the Rosso III's (Monster 1200R) in my garage right now. I'm already at the edge of the Angels and haven't leaned the bike that much. The Rosso's have much more lean angle (I'm not at the edge yet) and quite a bit lighter as it has less rubber. This latter is a big part of the durability trade-off. If you're using your Multi as a sportbike and going to the track even just occasionally, I would go for the Rosso's.

Reactions: JohnR
1 - 18 of 18 Posts