Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the tires on their '18 1260S MTS? If so, what tires did you choose and why?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was even thinking of swapping the OEM Scorpion Trails for Rosso 3's right off the showroom floor.
The Rosso 3's are OEM on the big Monster S. I don't do dirt and don't tour. Moreover I like the sport tire feel and just may take my new 1260 PP to the track occasionally..

·
Registered
270 Posts
So far I have gone through the stock Pirelli Scorpions, a set of Super Corsa SP's, 2 sets of Angel Gt's. I actually prefer the stock tires best for all condition riding.

The SC's were fun but don't last long (got them from Pirelli at a track event).

The Angels are good commuters that can hit the curvy roads in the mountains well, but are a little more unpredictable in the rain than I prefer.

I'm at 21k miles on my 2018 already... That's alot of tires so far.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If anyone puts a set of Rosso 3 tires on let me know what you think. I have them on my Monster and they have been great on the track and in the mountains. I am wondering how they would be on the Multi

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
@JohnR
I'm hemming and hawing about this as well. As @Rusty Helmholtz mentioned, I'll go through the scorpions first and then decide.
I've had SC on my Monster and did not like the wear or lack thereof. However, I've had two pairs on my 959 Panigale and they were awesome. I also currently have Rosso 3's on the Monster and they're fine. Not as sticky as SC but much better in the cold or on dirty roads. I'm also highly considering Angel GT 2's for the Multi.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When you get a new set perhaps you can post what you put on and how you like them. Since I don't do any off road riding, I am thinking that a sport touring tire would offer better handling and grip...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I opted for a pair of Angel GT to replace the Scorpions. I did not choose the Angel GT2's as I'm not a fan of longitudinal groves on the front tire. I don't tour nor do I commute or ride in the rain. I just like twisty roads. Conequently, when the Angels are done, I'll mount Rosso 3's which I'm very familiar with. Moreover, the R3 is a taller tire with more lean angle than the Angel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went with Michelin Road 5 per dealer recommendation and love them. More grip IMHO on track days and wear very well. I avoid rain at all cost so i have nothing to report for the wet.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If there's a take-away from this thread, it's the choice of category that should take precedence based on riding type and style.
Given the competitiveness between the top five tire manufacturers, the differences within the same category are very minute.
Tire Categories include:

Enduro Street [Tarmac & Dirt] (i.e. Scorpions, Tourance etc)
Touring [All Weather & Mileage] (i.e. Angel, Road 5, Roadtec 01)
Sport [All Weather & Lean Angle] (i.e. Rosso 3, Power 5, etc)
Hyper Sport [Road & Track 80/20] (i.e. Rosso Corsa, Power RS, etc)
Superbike [Road & Track 20/80] (i.e. Super Corsa, Power Cup 2, etc)

The Brand at this point is secondary where it then comes down to preferred characteristics such as, but not limited to price, looks or familiarity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts