Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a gently used 2014 Multistrada 1200S Touring model. Only 9k miles, had service records, always stored inside, never dropped. Seemed like a good bike, though I didn't ride it at the dealership. Finally had a chance to ride it (this thing does not deserve the title "she") this weekend and this thing is garbage. I'm 58 years old and have been riding bikes since I was 12, this is the worst bike I've ever owned. There is NO torque at all below 3k RPM, it just chugs when pulling away from a stop sign. And slipping the clutch does not help for the first 20' off the line. Then it's like my old RM250 when it hits the powerband, bang, it pulls a wheelie. My 1999 TL1000s is some much smoother I can't believe it. I've already bled the clutch and install adjustable levers hoping to alleviate the issue, to no avail. This thing is JUNK.

I'm at my wits end.

I miss my old K100RT.

Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I obviously am not up to the task of owning such an awesome machine, one I've had the privilege of housing for two short months, perhaps there is one more worthy than I willing to accept ownership. For a mere $11k. Please see the classified in this site for the ad and a few pictures. PM me if you would like additional pictures or information.

Thank you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand not lugging the engine below 4-5k in 2nd gear and above, no problem. My issue is getting off the line faster than the guy in the pickup truck behind me at a light. Even when I rev it to 5k and let the clutch out in 1st gear (managing the throttle in an attempt to keep the revs up), the revs drop to 1,500 or 2,00 and she falls on her face and chugs along for 20 or 30 feet until the revs finally start to climb a little and then the front wheel wants to come up. If this was a sport bike it would be silly, but this thing is supposed to be able to handle traffic and be able to go two up and some overnight luggage for a weekend. It simply is not able to perform as it was advertised. I already had a GSXR for Summit Point and VIR. Now that I'm a little older I wanted to something that I could use on the street. My bad.

That said, I clearly don't understand how to ride a duc. Perhaps one of you ducatisa's would like to own this awesome machine?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seriously? The response is "You don't don't know how to ride". That's funny. There is something wrong with this bike, some system is keeping the RPM's low when starting off in first gear. Even when I slip the clutch and rev it to 5k, as soon as the clutch starts to engage the rev's drop to 1,500 or 2k and she just chugs along. Not sure if it's in the ECM, or maybe something in the intake that's not balanced. I've read about this exact issue on other Ducati sites, and they all had different solutions. But ya'lls knee jerk reaction of "you don't know how to ride" reminds me of a harley ableson's creed of "first thing you do is remove the mufflers" kinds mentality.

Still no offers on this beautiful bike, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I bought a gently used 2014 Multistrada 1200S Touring model. Only 9k miles, had service records, always stored inside, never dropped. Seemed like a good bike, though I didn't ride it at the dealership. Finally had a chance to ride it (this thing does not deserve the title "she") this weekend and this thing is garbage. I'm 58 years old and have been riding bikes since I was 12, this is the worst bike I've ever owned. There is NO torque at all below 3k RPM, it just chugs when pulling away from a stop sign. And slipping the clutch does not help for the first 20' off the line. Then it's like my old RM250 when it hits the powerband, bang, it pulls a wheelie. My 1999 TL1000s is some much smoother I can't believe it. I've already bled the clutch and install adjustable levers hoping to alleviate the issue, to no avail. This thing is JUNK.

I'm at my wits end.

I miss my old K100RT.

It sounds like your bike is in limp or safe mode...get the ECU checked at the dealership. These engines prefer to be at an rpm of 5k and up, but they do not lug off the line for the first twenty or thirty feet. Something definitely wrong. Also go into the menu and reset the engine modes etc back to the factory settings...your engine settings may have been changed in the menu etc....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe you're riding in Urban or Enduro mode. They soften the power delivery and reduce total HP so that one doesn't dump it on a slick, oily street or muddy trail (as least not as easily as the other two modes). But even in Urban, by the time you've revved it high as it will go and dump the clutch it's wheelie time!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now we're getting somewhere. So here's a few responses:
1. I have not tried any fuel additives,
2. I think the gas is good, but the bike did sit at a dealership in NJ for the winter. Once I bought it the fuel level sensor needed to be replaced (a real duc mechanic did the work) After I got it back I filled it up (took 2.5 gallons) and rode it for a couple hours.
3. I rode it in Urban for most of the ride, switching to Sport at the end and the "chugging" when taking off in first seemed to be the same or maybe a tad worse.

It nice to know the bike should not act this way.

If I could get this figured out I would actually think about keeping her. She has the best stock suspension of any bike I've ever ridden. And she extremely comfortable and confidence inspiring. It's just that first 25 feet that just kill me...

Weather should be decent tomorrow, I'll try some different modes and deactivating the traction control and report back.

Thanks for you input and advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hope you don’t give up on this amazing machine. Winner of the Pikes Peak Hill climb many times. The Multistrada is truly a do it all machine. Ducati twins are often a shock to those coming from buttery smooth Japanese in-line 4s or twins. As said above, Ducatis want to be rev’ed out and are lumpy on the lower rev band under 4k. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'm at my wits end.

I miss my old K100RT.

21 April 2022
Sir:
I had the exact same type of experience with a 2010 two-valve 1100 cc SP Model. It was rough, backfiring and chugging around. I wondered if some major component of the crankshaft was broken. All closed throttle coasting was accompanied by frequent loud and undesirable backfires. The machine was highly unsatisfactory. ¿Puede decir basura? My friends rode it and thought the same thing.

I set about to cure this mess as I already purchased the bike and had few alternatives. I purchased it via the Internet and had it delivered across many U.S.A. states to my home. If I were to have ridden it first, I would neve have purchased it. All this was actually fortunate for me because, after my changes, it is a smooth and amazing machine.

My Actions follow:
1. Removed and replaced the catalytic converter. Leo Vince item. Price about $275.
2. Removed the mufflers and cut off the last 1/2 inch of the body. I then used a long chisel to drive the muffler baffles away from the main body of the muffler. I then used a DeWalt sawzall-type machine with long metal cutting blades to cut the baffles in the muffler into small pieces that could be shaken into the trash. Cutting and sawing took at least three hours. I did not pay myself. Price free.
3. I had a craftsman TIG weld the distal part of each muffler together. Total cost for the welding was $80 for a perfect job.
4. I removed the exhaust noise valve segment of the exhaust pipe. I used a cutting torch to melt the valve into oblivion. After that, I welded closed the axle shaft of the noise valve. The axle welds were ground with a body sander and polished to look as chromium plating.
5. I purchased an electrical terminus that thwarts some kind of undesirable signal. It had a name like Duck-E or Duck-EE and came from California. It works perfectly. Cost about $80.
6. Removed the charcoal container near the left front of the engine and plugged the lines. Trash/ Basura/ Rifuti.
7. Removed fuel pump and replaced undesirable factory sheet metal circular crimped "hose clamps" from the pump. Replaced factory "hose clamps" with high quality screw hose clamps. These were Vibrant Performance Fuel Injector High Performance Mini Hose Clamps. Get these from Summit Racing. They are very low cost when compared to other vendors selling the identical clamps. Factory clamps are known for failing and releasing the hose within the tank where fuel sprays wildly inside the tank without feeding the engine. Vibrant Clamps cost less than $25.
8. Installed new oil filter and new air filters. I use Mobile 1 Oil from Walmart.
9. Installed new cam drive belts and one new pulley. One pulley was rusted on its face which probably resulted from a car wash and being put away for winter. Bike came from New York. Note that belt installation is complicated on the 1100SP model. The regular 1100 models have timing marks but the SP models do not. I got a small stool and a bright Snap On LED work lamp and sat there for about an hour and decided to make my own timing marks. I purchased a white paint pen at Dollar Tree dollar store. I made the marks and then replaced the belts. I removed the spark plugs to allow the engine to be easily rotated without the usual cylinder compression function. I tuned the engine over and over and there were no metallic collisions. I replaced everything pertaining to the belt change and the engine started without disorder. Cost about $60. plus the cost of the replacement pulley.
10. I found a genius who reprogrammed the computer. When key activates the bike, it did say something to include USA. The reprogramming was a RR (racing program). When the key is activated, it now comes up and says, "Ducati Racing or RR" or both. Cost was about $300. Large power increase. Smooth function. Seamless torque.
11. I purchased several blank transponder Ducati keys from ebay.com. The ebay vendor was in Spain. Each transponder blank was bout $30. My local locksmith easily programmed several replacement keys from my blanks for a total cost of about $30.

I am extremely pleased with the result. Bike is very fast. It can pull from very low speeds in fifth or sixth gear without bucking or hesitating. I can ride everywhere with smooth running. Long periods of deceleration rarely result in backfires. Previously, it was bang, bang, bang. Use imagination. Highly experience riders who try it are amazed at the smoothness and power for a two-valve Ducati. I welcome inquiries.
J. Graham
2010 Ducati 1100 EVO SP

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mr. Graham, I enjoyed your story. It makes me want to fix whatever is wrong with my Ducati and try to enjoy it. Since you addressed many issues: exhaust restrictions, emissions "choking" your intake, and a programming revision; I think I'll investigate my bike for these first two and research a programming upgrade or something like the FatDucs that richen the fuel mixture. Can you share the name of your "genius" that reprogrammed your computer?

Thanks for your story. Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mister Charles,
I intentionally did not name him. I heard that the software was factory Ducati and that it was copied. I'm sure if you search around you can find the Factory RR Program for the 1100 EVO SP and other models. The main thing is to trash the catalytic converter and remove the noise valve. I just emptied the megaphone shaped mufflers. There is nothing in there. It is NOT loud. I'm surprised. I passed on Arrow and the other expensive Italian aftermarket mufflers. Mine look stock with the brushed stainless end covers. They cover the TIG welds. The improvement of the RR Program is amazing. I did not know the usual cost of the reprogram install but I paid $300. I would have been pleased to pay fifty or a hundred more. When the bike was reprogrammed he "turned off" the oxygen sensors. I still have them and they look 100% original. My thinking was that the oxygen sensors were necessary for proper stoichiometry of fuel and oxygen. Apparently they are not necessary as the bike could not run better. All the rattling, bucking, jumping, vibration, poor throttle response and backfiring is gone. I believe that my $80 muffler modification is about equivalent of one of those $900 Italian aftermarket muffler conversion. My exhaust sound is not mellow or beautiful as are some bikes but it works perfectly and is NOT too loud. I think that the proper sound of my motorcycle is not present as it goes from two pipes into one pipe for a foot or so and then reaches a Y shaped junction and is dispersed through the empty cans into the air. The noise flow and wave reflection is very confused. Not good. My favorite bikes were the English twins and I had many of them. They had the most wonderful sound through a set of reverse cone megaphones. The main cone megaphones were empty inside and the reverse that I preferred was two inches. I did not do this with the Ducati as the exhaust system is not true duals. If it were true duals, I would have modified the bodies of my original mufflers to have two inch reverse cones. I did all the super modifications for about the cost of an Italian aftermarket muffler set.
I know a lot about this stuff as I built my own British engines and modified the transmission cam plates to a one up and three down pattern. Right side shift. Polishing the cam plates and reducing the detents a little made them shift like going through butter. I do almost nothing with Facebook and have a tiny presence there. I also hate Google. I only use Google about once per week. I am reluctant to list my number but you can probably trace me through a short street in the town of Hollywood Park called Canada Verde. Canada Verde signifies Green Meadow in Spanish. I don't know how to use messenger or instagram. I am on my first smart phone and it has no voice mail function. Therefore, I tell people that if you are not talking to me, you are not talking to me. I also have a land line with a different number. I have the landline number for 39 years. I welcome calls. I am retired and often home. I can help with the muffler modification and the total elimination of the shaft and butterfly in the noise valve. After the elimination of the noise valve the pipe looks better than ever.
I hate the European Union and gain pleasure every time I think of all the crap that I eliminated from my motorcycle. Most or all that stuff is regulated/mandated by the EU. The only thing worse is the World Economic Forum. The WEF is coming for us. Worse than Venezuela.
J. Graham
21 April 2022

1 - 20 of 52 Posts