Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I guess Citta Corsa is no longer a vendor, but I purchased one of their 749/999 paddock stands back in January and just got around to putting it together this week. So when I install the housing cup (pin holder) onto the upper engine mount bolt, I have significant play back and forth on the order of probably a whole inch. The pin holder is secured to the engine mount bolt completely, but the engine mount bolt and pin holder slide back and forth through the frame/case.

So the question is am I missing a spacer? I'm the third owner as far as I know, so it's possible the owner lost or removed a spacer that's supposed to fit in here and used the work-around of this elongated nut that probably filled the space that the spacer did before. But I don't know, I'm just speculating, and I can't find a clear answer in the parts manuals on Desmoduck or on Ducati.com.

Second possibility is that I'm effed up and I'm trying to install this pin holder on the wrong bolt, which is possible considering the instructions from Citta Corsa show a Yamaha R1.

Third possibility is I got a wrong part from Citta Corsa.

Any insights?

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Contact Brian through the website and ask for help on the matter. He's easy to work with and knows the products so that, to me, would he the easiest thing to do

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that was my first approach, but I've been trying to get ahold of him now since last weekend with no luck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So unfortunately still no resolution -- apparently the elongated nut in the pic above is actually designed to work with the 998, so for whatever reason I have a 998 engine mount bolt and nut on my 999. The 999 engine mount bolt/nut combo I just got from Gotham Cycles is still too long -- bolt is the same length as the bolt currently fitted, so same issue of it sliding back and forth through the frame when I attach it to the collar nut/pin holder for the stand.

Only possibilities I see now are that I'm either missing a spacer, or Citta Corsa sent me the wrong pin holder.

Anyone had their 749/999 engine mount bolts out and noticed if there's a spacer in there or not? The elongated nut of the 998 that I have fitted works perfectly to take up the extra space. Brian is still no-comms.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just read a few threads about Brian from Citta Corsa being missing in action here lately. This in fact the first I've heard (read) of this and would like to know more on this if someone can enlighten me?

Saw that a few of you guys have some issues with orders either being incomplete or also MIA.? I was buddies with him for awhile and do have his cell number still - so can reach out to him if need be? Sone body send me a PM about this if you can?
Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gunny, I contacted his cell as well -- so he's comm out on both email and cell. Hope he's ok.

Reactions: Gunny Fitz

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dutch, correct -- I confirmed I do have the 998 bolt/nut which basically has the spacer built into the nut. So I have the 999 nut/bolt now and need the spacer.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep I actually did just that, but not knowing the right diameter of the spacer is the issue. I was able to find washers with a 12mm center hole but I'm not confident in how large of a diameter they need to be to fit and support the bolt like they should -- too small of a diameter and more shear stress will be on the bolt than there should be under the load of the bike on the stand.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't find any spacer mentioned in any spare parts list, but the engine mount bolt is a M12.
Get some washers from a hardware-store, maybe 1, 2 or 3 will fix the issue.
So at least you know the thickness and can manufacture a custom one.
Dutch, btw, just to echo what you said, Ducati Omaha confirmed for me that this part has never been sold separate from a complete bike/frame, so that's why it doesn't show on any parts catalogs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is no removable spacer on that bolt. On a Bursig stand there is a spacer included with the mounting pin because the pin is longer than the original nut.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jusutus, both Citta Corsa and Ducati Omaha said that there is a spacer, it just can't be bought separately anywhere other than salvage. I have both the long nut with the built-in spacer that supposedly came on the 748/998 (and maybe early MY 749/999s?) that came with my bike and the short nut without a spacer that supposedly came on all 749/999 (but maybe it was just the later MYs?), and the bolts are the same length. So with either the 748/998 bolt or with the 749/999 bolt, the bolt slides back and forth through the frame probably an inch when the paddock stand pin collar is secured. So there is space that needs to be filled that I'm assuming based on Citta Corsa and Ducati Omaha is supposed to be filled by an OEM spacer.

Not sure if how I'm explaining it is confusing or not, but I am most definitely missing a spacer -- maybe it's up for debate then that it was supposed to be supplied with the stand versus coming stock on the bike, but that would be going against what both Citta Corsa and Ducati Omaha have said.

That said, it's been about 2 weeks since I've looked at it now, so I'll get back out there and put my eyeballs on everything again and see if I'm missing something.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Installed bolt and pin collar tonight and measured what I think the spacer needs to be -- got about 12.6 mm of movement with the pin collar just hand tightened on the bolt, so I'm going to use the following dimensions to get a spacer machined: Outer diameter -- 21.6 mm (same as pin collar); Inner Diameter -- 11.8 (.1 mm larger than the actual measured thickness of the bolt); and Thickness -- 12.5 mm. I'll report next week how this works out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts