Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp....was out on a track weekend at Jennings, doing some control riding. First session, went out nice and easy, following some folks, came down pit row to run the novice group and as I went from gear 3....to 2.....to 1. Well, 1 didn't like it very much and I got a very loud clackity noise, as if a nut had come loose and was rattling around. Shut it off, pushed it to the pit. I was thinking, I just replaced the spring and detent arm (see this thread.) so maybe I didn't torque something down all the way and something came loose. I put a bunch of tires down, lean the bike to the left and take off the right side cover and everything looks beautiful. Pulled the clutch plates and basket and nothings wrong. Clutch basket doesn't turn when in gear: check. Tranny input shaft turns freely? Not so much. It turns about 4 revolutions either way then gets stuck. Like a broken tooth on a transmission gear. :sigh:

So...gonna pop the left side cover just to double check, then I have a feeling I'm going to have to pull the motor and split the case. Just thought I'd vent....:shitfan:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Sucks. Props for promptly shutting it down and trying to figure it out. Hopefully it isn't anything too terribly costly or time consuming.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm definitely taking a guess at the tranny first gear. Motor was b&b by the best out there for Duc's and doesn't have a lot of mileage on it at all...and judging by the fact that it happened as soon as I went from 2-1...but if it is the motor...ugh.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Try shifting through the gears when you turn the input shaft with the rear wheel off the ground. The gears are held on by little clamps and they can wear over time, which leaves a big mess in the gearbox. :(

I gotta be honest, the few 848/1098/1198 gearboxes I've been in looked great. So I'm not quite sold on it being a gearbox. Your shifter drum is probably stuck and it's in between gears. So first step would be to take the two covers off and get that shifter drum turning again. It's most likely the linkage problem everyone talks about.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both sides look good with the covers off. Here's a pic of the left side. Not sure what the noise is, but the logical next step is to pull the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gave that bearing a little spin and it felt nice and smooth:( some of my friends think it sounds like something in the valve train. Only so many guesses we can take. I was really hoping for the shifter pawl/drum alignment issue but that seems perfect. I shifted into first and neutral with the cover off and it's working nicely. Nothing looks out of place:(

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe Charles or tchase can answer this: what would I need to change in order to put a 2013 848 EVO motor in?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tchase will know ;)

Something al so to check, before pulling the engine or the heads;

Check the 3 screws on the pulleys.

Had that once, couldn't place the sound. Figured it out after I pulled the left and right side, when I pulled the belts off. One of the pulley had come loose. :(

Good-luck.
Good idea:) I'll check it and see.

Too bad there's no way to tag people in a post :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to let y'all know the origin of the bike and it's current setup. This is a bike used by the Bobby Fong/Michael Beck team in 2009 AMA Supersport. Full Leo Vince exhaust on it and a blueprinted motor. It also has a Microtec ECU setup. So if I swapped to an EVO, I'll probably have to get the Microtec programmed...at a minimum. I was actually hoping if I get another motor, I could just swap between the two as needed without the worry of changing anything else, so maybe a "stock" 848 is what I should find.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Put an 1198 engine in there! :D....but I do hope you get your issue fixed and it's not something major and expensive.

Reactions: mdomicolo

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put an 1198 engine in there! :D....but I do hope you get your issue fixed and it's not something major and expensive.
I've thought about that, Rubbish, but love the middle weight of the 848 :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
With that setup you only need to adjust your ecu....
You may be right on that. Though I thought the Leo Vince had a specific setup for EVO motors?

Actually - Just looked at aftermarket systems and they're good for 848, 848 EVO and 1098 motors. Interesting. So the exhaust won't be an issue, just need to reprogram the Microtec. Good call Dutch. I found a very low mileage 2013 848 EVO, too...hmm...

1 - 20 of 170 Posts