Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaned and waxed the 1198 today for the first time. Still have 1ft of snow on the ground but had to hear the bike today!

Does anyone have any suggestions to clean the rear rim as I noticed alot of chain oil and dirt / grime. Used water and soap but would like some suggestions!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I've found that it will come off with paper towels (the cloth-like kind) and Fantastic(TM) household cleaner, the same stuff I use on the fairings.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i very quickly and effectively clean my chain and wheel at the same time with kerosene.

procedure:
toothbrush and kerose clean the chain.
rag wipe/clean the chain.
lube chain.
spray and wipe the wheel with kerose and cloth tshirt.
then washdown the whole bike with soap, water and a mitt.

works everytime.

·
Banned
9,495 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
+3 on WD40, Then you can hit it up with the other cleaning you do when you wash the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
WD, kero or mineral spirits.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i believe wd-40 is primarily a cleaner. but then you have that whole debate on using it on your chain and damaging o rings. kerosene is recommended by manu's to clean chains, and works on wheels too. so, why not use one thing to clean both?

you guys are cleaning your chain, right? think of this - if your wheel is dirty, so is your chain.

chain fling can be reduced with the right lube. the two best ones are #1 liquid performance, #2 dupont multi lube. check webbikeworld.com for lots of great info.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i believe wd-40 is primarily a cleaner.

Just one of those neat facts. WD stands for Water Displacement. 40 was the fortieth formulation that they tried, and it worked, ( the previous 39 apparently did not). Designed for NASA back in the 60s (?). Also the mfg still will not tell what the ingredients are. Isn't the history channel great.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
WD-40 is Safe for Cleaning Your Chain

All motorcycle chains currently being manufactured use Buna-N (Nitrile) rubber for their o-rings and x-rings, and all chain manufacturers recommend kerosene as a cleaner.

Link:http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SM=none&SC=Stoddard Solvent

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its exact proportion of ingredients.

To meet fire safety regulations however, WD-40's main ingredients, according to NFPA Material Safety Data Sheet information, are listed as:

• 60-70%: Stoddard solvent (i.e. mineral spirits, somewhat similar to kerosene)

• 2-3%: Carbon dioxide gas propellant

• 15-25%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)

• <10%: Inert ingredients (wetting agents that emulsify water, and fragrance)

Consequently, WD-40 is safe and effective as a chain cleaner and corrosion inhibitor.

If you clean with a soft brush and WD-40, and plan to follow-up with a chain lube, you can reduce chain lube sling-off if you first remove the oil residue that WD-40 leaves. This residue seems to prevent some chain lube formulations from sticking well to the chain.

Brake cleaner has been used to remove the WD-40 but its effect on the o-ring seals may vary between brands, so I suggest following the chain manufacturer's recommendation to use inexpensive kerosene as the cleaner.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I put Motul 300V in the engine and on the chain.

Lube is used to keep the chain from rusting,not much else.

I typically go 50k km on a chain.

Present has 24k km and has been adjusted twice by me besides time of tire replacement.

And every time was veeeery slight tightening...almost to the point of annoyance (back and forth,you know the drill)

So a good wipe with cheap engine oil would do the trick...just a wipe,barely any flings on the rim most of the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FW1 Racing Formula
high performance cleaning wax / waterless wash & wax
I used this to clean up my RSV4 and my Monster. Product was easy to use and worked well . It seemed to work very well on cleaning the wheels / taking off the rubber and tar balls easily. Just spray it on rub it with a terry towel let haze slightly .....rub off with micro fiber towel. I didn't use it on the carbon fiber ..... a little leary of what I put on the carbon.
www.rgslabs.com

·
Registered
302 Posts
Turtle wax bug and tar remover works well on the wheels. On the chain I use WD to clean it, then I wipe it off as best I can and apply chain lube.

Reactions: UK Duke

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I tried the WD40 experiment on the rim last night. It works like a champ and it's easy to wipe off. I'll be using it on my chain and rims from now on.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Go to your hardware store and get this and a $1 squirt bottle. Both are the same thing, mineral spirits. Squirt it on, let it sit for ~30 seconds and wipe the grunge off. About 3 years ago it was $4 per gallon and today it's about $8. A gallon will last a few years. I've been using it for umpteen years with no problems on paint or plastic.

Read the ingredients on the paint thinner bottle. Mineral spirits. Often the paint thinner is cheaper than the ms. Ya gotta love marketing for that

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
when all manus recommend kerosene, it's dirt cheap and readily available, why are all you people going to something else? seriously, not trying to argue, i just want to know if i am missing out on something.

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
wd40.

i use it to clean the wheels and the chain, using a toothbrush on the chain trying not to soak the o rings...

been doing this for years, works great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts