Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, travelling north on a pretty big street (Sepulveda, in North Hills) I was in the #1 lane and a guy who was going in the same direction in the #2 lane moved over into my lane and almost stopped! Then he (without signaling) cranked his wheel and started to do a slow illegal U-turn in the turn lane! I couldn't go right due to other cars or stop so in an instant I threw the bike over to take a hard left around him and I just held on and I barely cleared him. I literally lifted my leg and made it. Had to go A LITTLE into oncoming traffic but luckily no one was there. And I was blowing the horn as I passed. I don't know how I pulled off the horn during all that...

I then of course was irate and was lifting my left arm motioning 'WTF' !!!! Asshole flips a bitch and continues on his way...

I then turned around when I could because I had to educate that guy. He turned a couple of times and then ended up in a large parking lot. Dude knew I was after him. I come up next to him on his side and he stops and roles down his window. Right next to him, I start in: "DUDE, YOU CAN'T DO THAT! I COULD'VE BEEN KILLED!'' He replied that he didn't see me and I continued that he needed to use his mirrors. I continued and explained that YOU CANNOT TURN FROM THE MIDDLE LANE!!!! It was hard not to be TOO threatening but whatever.

After that, I took off and as shaken up as I was, forgot that I was about to stop for gas and of course, I ran out. Perfect!

Called the wife, she came and picked me up. Live to ride another day.:)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Dang man, been there, done that. I think most people who ride in L.A. could share a similar story.

One trick I used was to assume people would do dipshit stuff like that all the time. If you make that assumption, you wouldn't have even been near that guy because you'd be either way in front of him, moving THROUGH traffic, or way behind him. I've now owned a cage for the first time since I started riding bikes in 2006. Lemme tell ya, it's a convertible, yet I can't see jack shit. Bikes come up so fast on me and disappear out of sight before I can even tell you what brand they are. So I get how someone couldn't have seen you and the stupid idiots who think loud exhausts and revving their engines make a difference are just that, stupid idiots.

I stopped riding on the streets because I was going to kill myself being too aggressive. At least in a car if your aggressive, you've got a safety net. :shrug:

Glad you made it out a live!

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Happened right there in between Brand and SF Mission right before it dies into the 405.

I DO ride like I'm assuming I'm surrounded by retards but this one was quick.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
No assumptions, they ARE all retards! I'll say this much, I stay away from other motorcyclists as I sometimes forget that I'm in a car (since it's small, light and very powerful) and I can't quite do the same things bikes can! As me know I know! LOL :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try riding a bike here in adelaide,South australia.regarded as the worst in Australia.man the streets are dangerous,lane filter,get in front of the traffic and as you said treat them with contempt!

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
Assume that you're invisible. To everyone.

Never place yourself in a spot or situation that you haven't got a way to get out of. Always have a plan, and hope you never need to execute it.

Think ahead...what will be happening around you a little further ahead?

Pay attention as traffic patterns around you evolve. Spot potential trouble before you're on it, if possible.

Use lane position dynamically, to give yourself more time and space to respond to that idiot that did the absolute dumbest thing he could possibly have done right in your danger zone.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Funny story which I'll skip to the end of. Had an asshat in a cage pull a similar bonehead move on me as I was passing him. He flips me off so I back off the throttle and follow him. So he takes me on the scenic route turning left and right at every possible turn without stopping. Finally he decides to drive into the police station. We exchange a few choice words and then an officer steps outside. The Chief of the small beach town PD. So his first words were. Hey Larry how's it going. ENZO aka Larry just plays it down and makes reference to dumbass moves by those in the cages. The other guy just shuts his mouth and gets back into his car and drives away. It's good to know the local boys in a small a town. Although not all encounters with the local PD ended this well. Maybe We'll share them at another time.

Glad your safe Andrew...

Reactions: WERA689
1 - 10 of 10 Posts