Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 900 Sport that to me seems as though the throw of the clutch lever is too short. That is the clutch engages/disengages in the very first part of the travel of the lever. Is this normal or is it possible to do something to make the engagement more progressive over more of the travel of the lever?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
there should be an adjuster on the lever itself. i'm not familiar with the 900 sport but if it has an hydraulic clutch then there should be an adjuster on the lever. if its cable then there should be an adjuster on the cable to lengthen or shorten the cable.

for me the position where the clutch starts to engage is a personal preference and goes with the things you can do to make you comfortable on the bike, such as foot peg position, angle of the brake and clutch levers, etc. obviously if the clutch engages too close to the end it could result in the clutch slipping so you want to careful if you like the clutch lever engaging at the beginning of the pull.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the dial only adjusts the distance the lever is from the bar at rest, not the engagement travel. And I didn't see any adjustment screw so it probably is something else like characteristically normal even! I'd be interested in a pic of the adjustment screw you refer to Racer162?

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Hmmm, ok, it is hydraulic and I have bled it, I'll look for an adjustment screw on the lever other than the dial which only changes the distance the lever is away from the grip.
Did you recently bleed it, or has it been a while?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Edit. Unless there is a way to extend/shorten the pin the dial looks to be the only way to adjust the throw. I would play around with the dial to see if there is a setting that will allow the lever to move a bit before the pin starts to push on the master cylinder.

If not then I wonder if the clutch pack is too thick. When was the last time it got replaced?

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record but you are going through a lot of work for a symptom (imho) of air in the line. You said you had bleed the line I guess it's always been this way?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems like conflicting information to me. The dial has nothing to do with the amount of throw the lever passes through when engaging or disengaging, it only adjusts the lever's distance from the grip, that part i know for sure. Yet i still can't see what the hex does - unless it shortens or lengthens the pin, and in that case would i need to shorten or lengthen the pin? The system has recently been fully bled. I'm beginning to think it probably is the clutch stack height...

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Seems like conflicting information to me. The dial has nothing to do with the amount of throw the lever passes through when engaging or disengaging, it only adjusts the lever's distance from the grip, that part i know for sure. Yet i still can't see what the hex does - unless it shortens or lengthens the pin, and in that case would i need to shorten or lengthen the pin? The system has recently been fully bled. I'm beginning to think it probably is the clutch stack height...

Or a bad slave?

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
From memory you undo the hex r182 points to the you can access the pin however there is a tiny, maybe 2.5 mm grub screw to find and undo. This will allow the pin to thread in/out to change the free play on the master cyl piston.

Has it always been like this issue?

We're the lever parts unusually clean or fresh grease? Wondering if they have replaced aftermarket levers with o e ones..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.