Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dudes!

Yesterday my buddy left my place on his 1098S to go on a ride and returned pretty much right away. His clutch lever does not move at all. We bled it from the clutch slave end and from the master cylinder end and as far as I know, it has all new fluid. Once I tightened up the bleeders, the clutch lever is as hard as a rock again. What should I try next? Any help would be appreciated.

The clutch fluid was actually pretty clear in the reservoir but came out pretty dark on the slave end.

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You can try pulling the slave cylinder, sticking the push rod shaft, pushing the whole assembly on the ground and try pumping the lever to make sure the hydraulics are working fine. It maybe a problem with the clutch itself, rather then a simple hydraulic issue. Though I can't imagine the bike working with that bad of a clutch problem.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If your buddy recently replaced the clutch lever with aftermarket levers suspect the master is maladjusted. Some aftermarket levers don't allow the lever to fully return and vent the hydraulic system back to the reservoir between pulls. Check the HOW. More important if this turns out to be the case suspect the brake lever has the same issue. Hopefully you can imagine the consequences if the brake lever locks in a similar fashion while in motion.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Check his clutch plates and see if they are hanging up on the basket. Seems to be an epidemic right now. This is the 4th one I'm reading about in almost as many days.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
If it doesn't move at all, how did he get it in 1st gear when he got going??

Did you mess with the clutch at all?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Levers were changed years ago with no issues.

Rub: When he took off, the clutch operated normally. When he got about two miles away, he went to up/downshift and it all of a sudden wouldn't move.

[email protected]: Yeah, that's what we're about to do. But first I'm going to completely remove the slave cylinder and blow it out and make sure it's functioning properly and then I'll move to the other side of the bike. I'll keep you guys posted.

And BTW, no, my bike still isn't finished FFS. :(

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Hmm...that's odd...I would have to guess it's something in the clutch, the pressure plate or other plates are not seated correctly and the slave push rod is at the end of its stroke and it just can't push anymore....but I find it odd that the bike would even go anywhere if that's the case. Post some pictures while you're at it.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Hmm...that's odd...I would have to guess it's something in the clutch, the pressure plate or other plates are not seated correctly and the slave push rod is at the end of its stroke and it just can't push anymore....but I find it odd that the bike would even go anywhere if that's the case. Post some pictures while you're at it.
I was thinking the same thing reading this except a buddy of mine had the same thing happen last weekend. He was out riding and left to head home and half way there, no clutch pull anymore. Was weird. This was on a 916.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was the clutch basket nut. Fucker fell off when the pressure plate came off..

I then set my bud up with a sweet new Rizoma pressure plate and a shnazzy Speedymoto open cover.

I started it up and I think he got a boner. Good day for sure my friends.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Well that was an easy fix. Odd that the nut came undone like that...high torque on that. Usually they're a bitch to take off, so clearly this one wasn't torqued right.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Figured it was the clutch… glad you figured it out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts