Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I installed a barnette aluminum clutch plate pack to my DP slipper clutch. I had it adjusted twice once from a friend and then at the dealership. These plates are waaaay to grabby and I can't get a clean launch. Any advice on clutch plates. Should I go back to stock? Does anyone one have a spare stock clutch pack for sale?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If you do a search, you'll find that the common solution to this issue is to cover the plate's friction material with a thin coat of lithium grease.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do a search, you'll find that the common solution to this issue is to cover the plate's friction material with a thin coat of lithium grease.
Thanks! I really appreciate the advice! Im going to go out tomorrow and buy a can! Sounds to good to be true, but can't deny the testimonials.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Heard some negative experiences with Barnette clutch plates..

OEM Ducati plates can probably serve you best. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heard some negative experiences with Barnette clutch plates..

yeah its my first experience with them and I'm not impressed! Im gonna try this lithium grease trick and if it doesn't improve Im gonna get a set of OEM's

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
yeah its my first experience with them and I'm not impressed! Im gonna try this lithium grease trick and if it doesn't improve Im gonna get a set of OEM's
Sure, worth a shot.. plus lithium grease doesn't cost much from what I remember.

Hopefully it works out for you

·
Registered
529 Posts
This is what I have always heard, too... I have a new Ducati OEM clutch pack on the shelf waiting to go in, but the stock one on my 09 848 will not wear out. I have 23,331 miles on this clutch and its still going strong (just checked all components back in May and everything is still way within factory spec). I do track days only now (the first 18,000 miles were primarily street miles), and I do not race so the absence of race start practices and actual race starts probably has given me some extra life, no se...

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I have always heard, too... I have a new Ducati OEM clutch pack on the shelf waiting to go in, but the stock one on my 09 848 will not wear out. I have 23,331 miles on this clutch and its still going strong (just checked all components back in May and everything is still way within factory spec). I do track days only now (the first 18,000 miles were primarily street miles), and I do not race so the absence of race start practices and actual race starts probably has given me some extra life, no se...
Yeah I sold my stock clutch plates along with my stock clutch so ended up buying the barnette pack.................huge waste of money! the slipper clutch is great but not near any tracks plus the way I ride lately don't really need it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 08. 1098 S it has a DP slipper clutch. I bought it used a few months ago the clutch needs to be replaced. I went to the local Ducati dealer a few weeks ago to order a clutch kit. He told me I had to by the whole clutch kit 1200$ that ducati stopped making the plates and fibers.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 08. 1098 S it has a DP slipper clutch. I bought it used a few months ago the clutch needs to be replaced. I went to the local Ducati dealer a few weeks ago to order a clutch kit. He told me I had to by the whole clutch kit 1200$ that ducati stopped making the plates and fibers.
I think you need to get a second opinion. Did they even look at the bike?

I'm pretty sure Ducati still make clutch plates. ;)

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you need to get a second opinion. Did they even look at the bike?

I'm pretty sure Ducati still make clutch plates. ;)
I think you need to find a better dealer. If they are trying to sell you a entire clutch just bc of worn plates, they are either stupid or crooked! Any ways good luck! I have to go buy a new car now...............the air filters dirty!

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Shazaam!

I tried the lithium grease trick and it really works.

I pulled the plates out gave the friction plates a liberal spray of lithium grease soaked them over night. Next day I gave the other plates a sand with some 600 grit wet sand. Blew out all the dust from the basket and gave it rinse with brake cleaner. Reassembled it this morning and took it for a spin zero gronk and the bike launches better then I ever remember!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I am not a fan of the Barnett plates either.

Early 80's GS Suzuki clutch plates are identical to Ducati's and available heaps cheaper.

I also use the lithium grease trick, but I don't over analyse it, just a light spray and wipe, the reassemble, if you over do the grease it will slip, so you wipe off excess and reassemble.

I have done this on two ST2's, & 998, works a treat.

Craig

·
Registered
632 Posts
You surprised my with your answer, you normally harp on about the convex plate and stack height, have we worn you down, lol.

Craig

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I tried the lithium grease trick and it really works.

I pulled the plates out gave the friction plates a liberal spray of lithium grease soaked them over night. Next day I gave the other plates a sand with some 600 grit wet sand. Blew out all the dust from the basket and gave it rinse with brake cleaner. Reassembled it this morning and took it for a spin zero gronk and the bike launches better then I ever remember!
So, are you going back to OEM plates eventually or gonna ride out the lithium grease Barnett set-up?

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, are you going back to OEM plates eventually or gonna ride out the lithium grease Barnett set-up?
I'm going to ride out the season on the barnettes, since the seasons almost over here might as well keep using them. If they act up again I'll toss them for factory next season.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not a fan of the Barnett plates either.

Early 80's GS Suzuki clutch plates are identical to Ducati's and available heaps cheaper.

I also use the lithium grease trick, but I don't over analyse it, just a light spray and wipe, the reassemble, if you over do the grease it will slip, so you wipe off excess and reassemble.

I have done this on two ST2's, & 998, works a treat.

Craig
It was my first time with the grease so I thought I'd better do all I can to make sure it works. Plus The plates needed cleaning. When I pulled the plates out, the first 5 plates were stuck together. I had to pry them loose with a screw driver. And there was a crap load of dust in the basket. I usually give the clutch a cleaning at the start of the riding season, this year I had a few set backs.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm going to ride out the season on the barnettes, since the seasons almost over here might as well keep using them. If they act up again I'll toss them for factory next season.
Have you got an open clutch cover?

If you have just squirt a bit of a spray of white lithium spray grease, use some common sense here, have it idling rattling away & give a quick squirt.

If you accidentally over do it, at worst it will take 20 minutes to fix.

Good luck

Craig

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.