Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
When replacing the clutch plates is it necessary to change the oil at the same time? Someone said that and I questioned myself why would the engine oil have anything to do with the dry clutch?
Hydraulic clutch oil...

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Or if the hydraulics are working. Don't fark with them

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
No, it's not necessary to replace the clutch fluid when you replace the clutch plates. At most, you could bleed it but you shouldn't even need to do that. You are correct, the engine oil does not interact with a dry clutch

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No, it's not necessary to replace the clutch fluid when you replace the clutch plates. At most, you could bleed it but you shouldn't even need to do that. You are correct, the engine oil does not interact with a dry clutch

Is it possible to bleed it without the use of a mighty vac?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Absolutely. Been bleeding my original '07 1098 without a mightyvac. I'd be willing to bet most people here don't have a mightyvac. Just be sure to bleed both the master and slave cylinders. My technique is the slave first, then the master. Some will say the other way around. Usually you can just do the slave. Either way, be patient and bleed until you're sure you've got all the air out.

·
Registered
19,152 Posts
I highly recommend doing it yourself; too easy to justify paying someone else to do it IMO. As an example, Motowheels has basket/clutch packages around $375. Just plates will be cheaper.

Moto Wheels - Parts - Clutch - Baskets
Agreed, the first time I did it, I was scared shitless, I thought I was defusing a bomb! But I downloaded a few step by step how to's then found a Yuotube vid. It was simple and soooooo much cleaner then a wet clutch!!!

·
Registered
19,152 Posts
Absolutely. Been bleeding my original '07 1098 without a mightyvac. I'd be willing to bet most people here don't have a mightyvac. Just be sure to bleed both the master and slave cylinders. My technique is the slave first, then the master. Some will say the other way around. Usually you can just do the slave. Either way, be patient and bleed until you're sure you've got all the air out.
mightyvac?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well after finally receiving my Barnet Clutch plates here is before and after pics. Can't really see the difference in thickness but damn is it there and the noise is gone. ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1462965110.630634.jpg

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Well after finally receiving my Barnet Clutch plates here is before and after pics. Can't really see the difference in thickness but damn is it there and the noise is gone. View attachment 94257
This answered my question lol...

How's the barnett pack? I've read most people don't like em how's the driveability? Any jerkiness while taking off more then usual? Did you grease the plates?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I wiped the oil off with a towel and stuck them in. Shifting is definitely something you can feel but overall I'm very impressed. I will try to keep you up to date but for me I've heard nothing but good things about them. With that being said I did read the reviews on amazon and one said great things the other said it didn't fit his bike and gave it a one star. I guess he wasn't smart enough to order the right set for his bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 02' ST2 I purchased new with 18.5K on the clock. This is my second duck and at my age I would like to sell. Prospective owners, (most do not know what a Ducati is), run away when you start it up. Reading through the posts, I see where the clearance between the driven plate and the clutch basket is 0.023 inches. I just checked mine during the winter maintenance and I get a consistent 0.034 inches. The plate dogs and the basket surfaces do not show damage to account for the increased clearance. I do not think the clutch is any more loud than it was when new. Is it possible there was a manufacturing variance to cause the difference in the factory spec? QUESTION? has anyone ever considered forming an alloy insert into both sides of the clutch basket to tighten things up? I am an engineer and a decent fabricator and am working on a die to press some out of stainless shim stock. Is there a minimum clearance between the basket and drive plates? Is there a measurement of the width of the drive plates and maybe this is the reason for the noise?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Reading through the posts, I see where the clearance between the driven plate and the clutch basket is 0.023 inches. I just checked mine during the winter maintenance and I get a consistent 0.034 inches.

The plate dogs and the basket surfaces do not show damage to account for the increased clearance. I do not think the clutch is any more loud than it was when new. Is it possible there was a manufacturing variance to cause the difference in the factory spec?

Is there a minimum clearance between the basket and drive plates?
Measure the basket diameters to see if the fingers have spread – this could be the reason for your excessive clearance. Note that in the Barnett basket picture posted by Aussie_Bob that the fingers are reinforced by a metal ring to prevent this distortion.

The clearance between the plate tabs and basket can be close to zero as long as the plates move freely in-and-out. Some aftermarket plate tabs need to be filed to get enough clearance to allow the plates to move freely.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts