Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch is a mess from when I dropped my bike last week. I'm trying to get all the parts I'm going to need to fix it without having to get them from the shop. So far (thanks to an awesome forum member!) I have the clutch cover, springs and pressure plate. I have no idea what else I'm going to need... What's the likelihood I'm going to need a new drum and plates from a low speed crash like the one I had? I will post a few pics of the clutch as it is now... not sure if that's going to help. I don't want to spend money I don't have to, unless I should just do it and replace everything while they are in there? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You may only need the parts you were gifted. I'd start by taking that clutch cover off and examining the situation. Sometimes the pin's snap off the hub, but the basket and plates should be fine. Replacing the hub is no big deal, though when you get there, one of us can go over the procedure. I may have some clutch parts as well, I'll look around to see what I have. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may only need the parts you were gifted. I'd start by taking that clutch cover off and examining the situation. Sometimes the pin's snap off the hub, but the basket and plates should be fine. Replacing the hub is no big deal, though when you get there, one of us can go over the procedure. I may have some clutch parts as well, I'll look around to see what I have. :)

BTW I stole your quote "sticks and stones..." And posted it on my facebook, boy did my mom have a coronary LOL!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

you need to take out your full clutch off, what I see on the pix, here what you need
six springs, clutch pressure plate, six clutch caps, six clutch bolts, clutch cover, clutch hub, couple clutch friction disks......might more.....good luck

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Yes you'll definitely need the hub, which has the spring-mounting posts, two of which are broken off.

This part is largely similar from the '90s 900SS through to the non-slipper 1198s, with just some detail differences around the retaining system. But they can be interchanged between the models by someone with sound Ducati knowledge.

As DH suggests - you could take the opportunity to upgrade while you are at it, although I suspect that is not your priority at the moment.

Slingshot Racing (check Ebay - they trade as SSR) offer a much lighter hub without a cush-drive. They are about $225 from memory, and save well over a pound in weight (about 600 g) from the clutch assembly.

Of course you might notice a slightly harsher engagement when you put it into gear, but it is not noticeable on mine.

But a stock 748 - 996 hub would be the easiest answer, and probably cheapest, if you can find a good one second-hand. What to check for in a second-hand hub?

Just try and see if the splined grooves have any 'notching' from where the steel plates engage. That is usually the only wear point.

I have a stock 1098 hub here you could have for not much, but the postage isn't cheap from here unfortunately.

Good luck with the repair. Looks like some good luck has already come your way.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You do need a hub.

I bet there are a bunch of guys on here that have stock hubs, esp if they upgraded to slipper clutches.

I'd give you mine, but it won't work as my 848 is a wet clutch.

I'll have to check the garage, I may still have my stock 1098 hub somewhere, I replaced it with a slipper and have since sold that bike.

·
Registered
555 Posts
As you are probably going to get everything you need from some super awesome members, i would suggest saving your pennies for a burly clutch cover. STM and Woodcraft make some that are open so you can see and hear all that stuff jingle jangle around in there, and sturdy enough to prevent a little fall from turning into a day ender. I just happen to be an ardent clutch cover durability tester.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Under fairing frame sliders help a lot as well. They will keep the fairings from collapsing and give some stability to the upper portion of the machine when crashed. I never ran a clutch cover and I've been down on the track two times on the right side and never did any damage.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Under fairing frame sliders help a lot as well. They will keep the fairings from collapsing and give some stability to the upper portion of the machine when crashed. I never ran a clutch cover and I've been down on the track two times on the right side and never did any damage.
where do I find something like that?

Tuned is smart.....I wish i was smart
I beg to differ, he rides dirt bikes... :p

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
where do I find something like that?
You're in luck because speedy moto still makes them!

SpeedyMoto Ducati Under the Bodywork Frame Sliders: 09-020XUNBW

I beg to differ, he rides dirt bikes... :p
Well, Racing KTM's and Ducati's, isn't very smart to begin with! LOL :D

However in my eyes, sitting at home typing on the internet all day, every day, isn't smart either. I've already been at the track twice this week and will be there all weekend as well. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.