Votes: 40 78.4%
  • Keep it covered and quite!

Votes: 11 21.6%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since we're on the topic of open clutch covers, who here enjoys the sound of an open dry Ducati clutch?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I didnt at first but it grew on me! Its a signature sound, just like the exhaust. Although i hate when people come up who are unfamiliar with ducati's and say whats wrong with your bike.

Rattle away baby!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think its actually mean, and lots of people are intimidated by the sound. I know I was the first time I saw a 748 and I rode a zx10r.

·
Registered
30 Posts
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
ppl can hear you coming from way up the road before you even get there and those not in the know will turn and look and stare in awe as you ride past them. Everybody stares at a Duke, even the ppl who arent into bikes.
NO other motorcylce has those ducati sounds... not even a homosexual Harley.
Dry clutch's shout race pedigree and i dont know of anyother production motrbike out there where you can see it working or hear it.
Jap poofs :p

·
Registered
337 Posts
Gotta Love it!!
That is part of the beauty of Italian machinery. Whirring gears, rattling clutch plates. Just like the wonder of the 'real' 911 engines - before water cooling.
Bene.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have to say I've always been a Jap bike ride until recently . I have an 06 CBR1000rr for the intrum while I wait for my 1098. I took the 1098S for a long test ride and I was at first concerned about the mechanial sound of the engine. It was a bit off putting after having ridden inline 4's for so long. But after a little while I started to enjoy it, It was also the first V twin or L Twin I've ever ridden, and I have to say the sound from the exhaust was mind blowing!
I think Ducati will suit me well...... I hope :-|

·
Registered
83 Posts
Must admit I'm not a fan - mainly because at idle it can sound positively agricultural! Okay if you're a farmer I guess. I prefer the engine and exhaust to do the speaking!

·
Registered
131 Posts
lmao bluey the first thing that came to mind when i started up my bike was an old john deere tractor.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yeah, but you're forgetting.....In the farming community nothing beats a Deere! :stickpoke :yo:

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
The look is awesome but the sound takes some getting use to I would imagine.

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
I'm ambivalent about this. 2 of my ducs have open clutch covers and the other 2 don't. I definately prefer the look; watching the clutch spin is mad cool! As for the rattle....well...sometimes i like it and sometimes I just find it annoying. It depends on my mood.

The other day I was at the parts counter at martin eurosports. The guy standing next to me was working w/ Jeff the parts guy to order an open/vented clutch cover for his new 1098. He asked Jeff, "Can I order a vented clutch cover so dirt and water can get into my clutch?" I cracked up. He was being a wise-ass, but his point is well-taken. Ducatisti run open/vented clutch covers because it looks/sounds cool and makes the bike more like a race/track bike. Of course, in the context of racing, the benefits, (cooling and reduced weight), outwiegh the detriments, (accelerated wear). In your typical motogp race the clutch only has to last 45 minutes, so accelerated wear is never an issue.

From a strictly logical perspective, running an open/vented clutch cover on a street bike is idiotic. But many of us, (myself and Mr. WiseAss included), do it anyway. Life is not logical.

·
Registered
60 Posts
out of curiosity, what does a new clutch cost and how much to put one in? Unless it's easy enough to do yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
vented/open clutch covers tend to cost about 200 dollars. installation is easy. remove the factory cover and replace it w/ the vented cover. if you're gonna go w/ a vented/open clutch cover, then you'l probably want to replace the stock pressure plate, (the part of the clutch that's visible after you install a vented clutch cover), w/ a colored/anodized (usually red, but you can get any color you want) pressure plate. that's a bit more complicated to install than the clutch cover.

or are you asking about an entire clutch replacement? if you're gonna replace the clutch, you might want to consider a a slipper clutch, especially if you'll be tracking your bike. a slipper clutch costs a grand, plus installation. that's a bit more than the stock clutch but worth the extra expense if you're on the track or racing.

good luck, elton

1 - 18 of 18 Posts