Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, the time has finally come for a new clutch for my beloved 848. It's starting to slip pretty bad when I get on the gas and with just shy of 40,000km's on the original clutch, I don't feel like it owes me anything. What I'm wondering is, do I just need to get new friction plates or do I have to get an entire clutch assembly? In a little over a month I'm doing a road trip with the bike through about 8 countries, so lots of miles, but that also means I'm not trying to spend a ton of money (if I wanted to, I'd finally just upgrade to a slipper). Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'd start by taking some measurements:

The gaps between the pins and the basket need to be less then .6mm.

The friction disks need to be more than 2.6mm thick.

The entire stack should more than 46mm thick. (48mm is about normal for a used pack)

Each pressure plate spring should be taller then 41mm, without being compressed.

If everything looks OK besides the friction plates, then simply replace them. The OEM plates are pretty good, but you can't go wrong with wet clutch friction material like you can with a dry clutch. The baskets and hubs hold up pretty well on these clutches, so spending the money to replace everything, may not be necessary.

In terms of long distance riding, I'd absolutely do preventative maintenance before you leave. Do the fuel filter, oil change, hydraulic fluid and coolant changes. Perhaps if you haven't done the clearances in a while, do those as well and check the belt tension. I'd also make sure your battery is very fresh, last thing you wanna do is be stuck somewhere with a bad battery, as the stockers are very weak sauce and go belly up on a whim.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts