Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G"Day,
I had removed the clutch slave today then the push rod which way does the two o-rings on the push rod have to be when reinstalled .
I had a brain fart and forgot to take notice of the direction.
Two o-rings clutch side or rear brake side?:blind:

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
The end of the push rod with the two "O" rings is on the slave cylinder side. (left side)

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
No problem,.... everyone who has ever had their clutch apart, has ponder this fitment!!!!

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
Mine only goes in one way because of the cross peg/rod

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
BTW Bob you have a great memory I would of sworn the were on the right side!

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
No, I have a terrible short term memory... I when out to the garage, cause I don't remember where I put my Ducati Workshop CD,... and looked at an engine I have torn down!!! But thks for the compliment!!

Reactions: Tchase

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The whole point of the o rings is to keep the oil out of the slave cylinder. The clutch (right) side has a push rod seal in the nut which retains the hub on the dry clutch models. On the wet clutch models, there is simply a bearing there and a tapered hole for the shaft. This way, oil can travel down the shaft and into the clutch assembly directly from the crankcases for lubrication purposes.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
What a coincidence that this thread got started as I'm working on my clutch also...no point in starting another, since I have a similar question. Just to make sure I'm understanding this right, there shouldn't be any oil past the o-rings towards the slave cylinder, correct? But is it normal to have oil on the rod on the other side of the o-rings, even on an 1198 since it's a dry clutch? I've had the rod out before shortly after I bought the bike, but it's been like 3 years and I can't remember for sure.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The rod should have no oil on it in the sections it "peaks" out from the cases. So thats the slave cylinder side AND the clutch side on a dry clutch bike.

The center of the rod will be covered in oil as it goes through the transmission input shaft.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Ok, that's what I mean I guess...the oil wasn't all the way to the end where the pressure plate is, but I noticed it for a few inches on the side of the o-rings, on the clutch side.

Actually, now that I think of it, when I first took it out 3 years ago it was because I was changing the pressure plate and I remember dropping the rod on the ground and having to clean it off because debris stuck to it right away due to the oil.

It's all good...carry on! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts