Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I'm definitely not a wheelie guy and only have done smaller ones in the past. I have no intentions to ride on one wheel.

With that said, out of pure curiosity and wanting to know how my bike will react, does having DTC on at all impair the ability to clutch-up the front wheel on our bikes? I've read conflicting things online about DTC and wheelies on the newer Ducs. Oh, I have a Monster 1200 if that helps. Any replies greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
No, it shouldn't affect it. Typically TC systems only kick in based on lean angle, the farther you lean, the more it'll work, so you can still do wheelies and burnouts if you want. Now, if you have wheelie control, then that would impede you from doing it obviously....not sure if the new monsters have that or not.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've popped it up a tiny bit but nothing crazy. Could wheelie control be disabled if it had it? Seems insane Ducati would release the 1200 not being able to lift the front. Any bike for that matter unless a pure track bike.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Looking at the specs online, I don't think it has wheelie control so you should be fine. Nevertheless, if you're still in doubt, turn off the DTC. That bike should be able to wheelie without the clutch in 1st and 2nd...maybe in even 3rd gear depending on the circumstances.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No, it shouldn't affect it. Typically TC systems only kick in based on lean angle, the farther you lean, the more it'll work, so you can still do wheelies and burnouts if you want. Now, if you have wheelie control, then that would impede you from doing it obviously....not sure if the new monsters have that or not.
really?! i had no idea DTC knew anything about my lean angle! i thought it just sensed for loss of traction, regardless of lean etc.

which I guess begs the question - how does it know what my lean angle is, and can i get something to hook in and measure it?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
If it was just based on loss of traction, you couldn't do a burnout. Try it and see for yourself.

There should be a module (like a very small box) that has an accelerometer in it and that's how it knows your lean angle. It has to be mounted in a specific way (typically flat) or else it throws off the reading. Not sure where the one from the DTC is....I have a base 1198 so I have an aftermarket TCS, and mine is mounted in the rear, right on the subframe, but it used to be mounted under the rear cowl when it was a street bike. I don't think it's the same for the OEM ones, like the S, R, and Corse models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The newer systems may have lean angle input, but generally it simply compares Fr / Rr wheel speeds. So during a wheelie as the front wheel slows DTC will cut power. The reason you can do a burnout is it recognises you are stopped. If the Monster has DTC I guess you can turn it off.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. There seemed to be debate on "another" forum where some people were saying they could clutch it and some were saying only on power on the newer bikes. They were blaming it on DTC and even Ducati secretly putting wheelie control in their bikes. Who knows though, the "wheelie control" stated by some could just be lack of balls in really trying, like myself :)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I don't know Rubbish.....I was unable to burnout with DTC.
Were you able to do it if you turned it off? Maybe the DTC works different

·
Registered
765 Posts
The newer systems may have lean angle input, but generally it simply compares Fr / Rr wheel speeds. So during a wheelie as the front wheel slows DTC will cut power. The reason you can do a burnout is it recognises you are stopped. If the Monster has DTC I guess you can turn it off.
This is my understanding too. The lean angle input probably makes the DTC behave differently as in more intrusive when the bike is leaned over as opposed to while riding upright(burnout)

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can't do a burn out with DTC enabled in a high setting. Also, clutch ups are incredibly difficult the higher the setting. I keep my DTC at 4 and I clutch up in first fine albeit DTC bitches about the traction loss (red lights). I set it to 8 one night in the rain and forgot about it the next day. At an 8 it is incredibly difficult and since all its doing is killing the injector pulse, the harder you try the more it feels like it's bogging down to stop you.

Source: 12 848 CORSE

·
Registered
10 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm definitely not a wheelie guy and only have done smaller ones in the past. I have no intentions to ride on one wheel.

With that said, out of pure curiosity and wanting to know how my bike will react, does having DTC on at all impair the ability to clutch-up the front wheel on our bikes? I've read conflicting things online about DTC and wheelies on the newer Ducs. Oh, I have a Monster 1200 if that helps. Any replies greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this nutjob has turned off the DTC, but it certainly will wheelie.

·
Registered
648 Posts
My factory DTC doesn't engage until 10 mph, so burnouts aren't affected.

It needs to measure lean angle because the effective diameter of your tires gets smaller as the bike leans over onto the sides of the tires.

'11 1198SP

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yes well the guy in the video certainly had no trouble getting it up.

Looked like Italy, although I didn't recognise exactly where.

He was getting A BIT carried away into oncoming traffic..

But I guess that answers your question Mr. E.

Knew a would-be rock-star who called himself that. A bit of a mystery..

:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi does anyone know if you can disable the wheelie control on new hypermotard, I turn off all the settings dtc and abs, it clutches up in first no problem , but in second if your going abt 3k rpm, u can clutch it up, but anything above 5k on 2nd gear , when you rev and drop the clutch the red light goes on and the power cuts.

Any help out there pls?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts