1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quickshifter is glorious.. Best mod in my opinion. Probably not that great on the street but for the track it's a blast. Full throttle and just shift,, quicker lap times immediately.... I kick myself for not doing it sooner...
Still use the clutch to downshift...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yep, you can keep the throttle pinned and shift, no need to chop the throttle at all. Its a great mod! Especially if you're planning on Reverse (Gp Shift) your bike.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have the reverse shift direct lever from the gear shaft (GP Style) and I feel it a lot better than the stock shift. however I don't do track only streets and I don't miss any gears any more and can shift without chopping the throttle.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Quick shifters can be hard on transmissions because they kill ignition entirely for a few milliseconds. If you use it ALL THE TIME, its absolutely going to cause wear. A lot of companies have adopted it for standard shift because in all honestly, its very hard to lift up and get it into gear whilst on the throttle. However, its MUCH EASIER to push down and get it into gear when on the throttle, especially once your transmission dog's wear down.

What happens is, there are two transmission gears which need to mesh. One has holes which are just the right size for these little curved "dogs ears" to fit into. When you change gears, the selector shaft pushes the gears towards each other and the dogs fit into the holes. But the dogs themselves have sharp, hard edges on them. Over time, those edges start to wear, which makes the shifting easier and easier. Its slightly different on the Ducati transmission, both sides have dog ears on them instead of holes, but you get the picture.

So when you use reverse shift via a direct shift lever (no linkage to gum up the works) it actually works pretty well without the need for a quick shifter. It would fall right into gear the moment you pushed the lever.

·
Registered
509 Posts
quickshifters are great for the street. it allows you to shift more often hence more fun. Its less of a hassle to go up a gear then immediately back down for a coming corner. especially when going wot thru the gears and short shifting.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Ohh… found this video… you can see the shifter lever and notice by the sound it goes right into gear the moment its tap. No quick shifter. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lots of quicker blokes than me don't have quick shifters so I won't risk my gearbox for a second a lap at most. For street use, why would you even bother.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've Raced with both patterns and quick shifters. I have found that if the shift lever is adjusted to suit me, I never have a problem with street pattern. So I just stick with that pattern that way I never shift a street bike the wrong way. The quick shifters are very nice to have for high rpm use.

Mat Mladin won 7 championships with the street pattern, but then again he also pulled in the clutch and banged all his down shifts at once. That guy's not normal......

·
Registered
6 Posts
because of wrist pump I fitted a quickshifter to my 999 and find it a real help on the street, on mine I can adjust at what revs it becomes operable and I used to race but have stuck with street shift with no probs and at my age to have to cope with both street and race shift could be a tad difficult

·
Registered
116 Posts
Old thread but figured I'd add my $.02 since it got bumped and I didn't see this mentioned. IMHO you only really need a qs and gp shift when you start getting fast enough to where you have to shift at steep lean angles mid-corner. Standard shifting and pulling in the clutch at full lean is a recipe for disaster unless you're extremely talented and totally neutral on the bars. It's just so much easier to click down mid-corner and rely on the qs for a smooth upshift. This is where you'll pick up time around the track. It has little to do with the milliseconds you might get down a straight IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts