Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Forum Members, On occasion my 2015 Multi is quite hard to start when cold. Especially when It was been sitting for a few day. Just turns over, does not fire. Starts fine when warm. But I still think it turns over too long for a fuel injected motor. The Dealer has no service bulletins, and everything seems to be set up correctly. Anyone else experiencing this? Regards, Putter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will see if Ducati has anything to say. Dealer has not sold enough of these to experience any problems so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem also. After I had been driving it for a few weeks the problem started. Sounds like fuel is not getting injected. Need to give it a bit of throttle or it dies out. Once started and stopped again. It will start right up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are a number of folks reporting this... I have had it happen twice... both times after the bike was outside overnight in high humidity (no idea if there is anything important in that). The symptom is that the bike will not fire without the application of a bit of throttle... and the bike will not idle after starting for the first 30 seconds or so (and runs rough if you ride away during that time).

FI vehicles have a cold start sequence that enriches the air/fuel mix to help it start... it's almost like that is not being properly triggered - which could be an Inlet Air Temperature sensor issue... or maybe something in the ECU.

Here's the description from the original patent:
BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION This invention relates to a system for increasing the amount of fuel injected into an internal combustion engine during a cold start. In particular, it relates to electronically controlled injection systems, in which an electromagnetically controlled injection means injects fuel into the engine for a duration of time depending on an activation pulse. The activation pulse in turn is supplied by monostable circuit means, which in turn are controlled by first control pulses generated in synchronism with the rotation of the shaft of the engine.
The fuel-air mixture must be enriched for cold starting, because a part of the fuel condenses on the cold walls of the intake manifold and only a part of the fuel evaporates and becomes available for operation of the engine. Circuit arrangements are already known in which the injection time is increased during a cold start. In one such arrangement, two independent electrical control systems are used, in which one controls the amount of fuel in dependence on the required power, while the other controls an additive component in dependence on the temperature of the engine. The second, additive, component is considerably increased for a cold start. Experiments have shown, that this additive component must be greatly dependent upon the rotational speed of the engine, since with the first ignition of the engine, the speed of rotation increases and the fuel mixture improves as a result thereof. Therefore the additive fuel injection must decrease with increasing rotational speed so that the fuel-air mixture is always ignitable and yields a high combustion energy. If this is not the case, a drop in speed will result because of a failure to ignite or a low energy ignition.

·
Registered
95 Posts
MTS hard start

I would bet you have overfilled the tank, and the charcoal can is saturated, this will cause a hot start and cold start issue, I had it on mine, I let it to a buddy who had a trip planned with his RS BMW, but there was a fuel tank issue with his bike, so he took mine. He would fuel the bike up to the brim at night (I don't do that), and then drive a short distance to the hotel. I think the heat from the hot engine warmed the fuel up enough to push it into the can, on day three he called to say it would not start very well.

I took it to my local dealer, and I hope I get this right. The charcoal can was saturated with fuel, which made the bike hard to start when it was hot, but the next day (when he was riding), it was tough to start when it was cold. According to my dealer, and he showed me the pages on the Diagnostic tool, the oxygen sensors were in a major fuel reduction, which caused the mapping to go a touch lean, which made it hard to start.

My wrench (a Ducati Master tech) explained it to me, and said without even touching the bike besides the diagnostic cable, that the charcoal can was probably full of fuel, he took it off, turned it upside down and gas spilled out. He did not want to remove it, but ordered me one, said not to fill the tank to the brim and not ride the bike (another conversation in it's entirety), meaning it was okay to fill up, but ride the tank down, don't fill then sit. Made sense to me.

He changed the can, reset the computer, and it ran and started like it did when new.

Anyway, that was at about 6000 miles, and I have 14600 miles and haven't had an issue since, I drive it to see clients all over the Northeast, and besides a couple small issues (trip meter and seat), it has been a great bike. It always cranks slowly, but my tech said that Ducati told him not to stop, leave your finger on the button. Once you stop the starting (sorry confusing), process, and start all over, it takes forever, just leave the throttle alone, and lay into the button until is starts, works everytime, at least for me.

BTW, be careful when you wipe the dash, only do it with a soft cloth, it scratches easy.

Hope this helps

Thor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts