Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm 5'8, about 180 and after about 25-30 minutes of riding, I notice a bit of discomfort around my right elbow. It's kind of like a dull ache but gets a little worse the longer I ride. It's not a huge pain but does get to be fairly uncomfortable as the wind starts to kick up harder on the freeway as I feel like I'm holding on to the bars a little tighter. :violin: Just wondering if replacement handlebars may resolve this and which would be recommended. I'm not exactly sure what's causing it but I do notice it on much longer rides. I would like to get the Rizoma drag bar, but what I don't want is for the riding position to be more aggressive. I'm going on 300mi round-trip ride here soon and I know the smallest comfort issues only get exponentially worse on longer rides for me.

One thing I'm looking to get is the touring seat to see if that helps, additionally, looking to possibly change out the handlebars as well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Get the rizoma ma011 bars and the rizoma 202? Clamp kit. Set the bars at +1 position in clamps. Far better then stock.. although u will be a little more forward then stock. But no way near like drag bars. Ive gone through 4 sets of bars and have settle back to the rizoma ma011..

·
Registered
85 Posts
The MA011 is similar to the 821 oem stock bar and I think it is not as wide as the stock. I think the stock wide bars are what cause the wrist aches and perhaps your dull elbow ache. When I contacted Rizoma they said: The MA011 (closest to stock) is recommended for your bike.

The MA001 has more rise and is definitely not as wide as the stock bars since I have them and I know. I went for the MA001 and cnc +20mm risers because I wanted a touch more rise. And yes, the stops need to be adjusted for the new bars so they don't hit the tank. And drilling is needed on whichever bar you choose.

It's tough to say but you may like the MA001 without risers? Or if you want to stay closer to stock and get the MA011 without risers?

I did a lot of research before finally choosing which bar set up. I'm very happy with mine but everybody has that sweet spot they are looking for. I found it's tough to figure out until you get it on the bike and ride. Good luck.

http://www.ducati.org/forums/ducati-monster-821/69174-rizoma-22mm-bars-ma001b-mods-happy.html

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The MA011 is similar to the 821 oem stock bar and I think it is not as wide as the stock. I think the stock wide bars are what cause the wrist aches and perhaps your dull elbow ache. When I contacted Rizoma they said: The MA011 (closest to stock) is recommended for your bike.

The MA001 has more rise and is definitely not as wide as the stock bars since I have them and I know. I went for the MA001 and cnc +20mm risers because I wanted a touch more rise. And yes, the stops need to be adjusted for the new bars so they don't hit the tank. And drilling is needed on whichever bar you choose.

It's tough to say but you may like the MA001 without risers? Or if you want to stay closer to stock and get the MA011 without risers?

I did a lot of research before finally choosing which bar set up. I'm very happy with mine but everybody has that sweet spot they are looking for. I found it's tough to figure out until you get it on the bike and ride. Good luck.

http://www.ducati.org/forums/ducati-monster-821/69174-rizoma-22mm-bars-ma001b-mods-happy.html
This is my struggle looking for replacement bars. Without the ability to try them, I'm wary of even purchasing a setup. However, I did find someone local with the setup who may be selling it so I may just take the dive if the price is right.

Did you ever run into discomfort with the stock bars? Wondering if it's just me. :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is my struggle looking for replacement bars. Without the ability to try them, I'm wary of even purchasing a setup. However, I did find someone local with the setup who may be selling it so I may just take the dive if the price is right.

Did you ever run into discomfort with the stock bars? Wondering if it's just me. :confused:
Yeah my wrists were sore right away on the 821. I'm 5'6" and I think they were just too wide for me. And the levers were too far and causing strain for my small hands too. I had to swap out for adjustable clutch and brake levers too.
I didn't have discomfort when I rode the 1200. I took numerous test rides and rented a 1200 for a day. The bars and clamp are different on the 1200. And the ergonomics are slightly different IMO. So I was onto my 821 bar swap right away. Was an urgent fix for me and now I'm happy. Plus my black bars look sweet!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also of note.....that the 1200's hydraulic clutch could be part of feeling less strain

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also of note.....that the 1200's hydraulic clutch could be part of feeling less strain
There are days I miss the hydraulic clutch but in some stop and go traffic it really didn't like feathering, haha. Or maybe I just need to learn how to ride and not feather it so often. Good to hear about the bar swap. I'm gonna give it a go and report back. I love the look of the drag bar but didn't quite like the idea of being in a more aggressive position. Coming from the Panigale, the Monster was a massive upgrade in the comfort department. Now to just get the elbow soreness issue dealt with and she'll be perfect.... except for the seat haha. I've got a lot of comfort needs!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Look at the photos I put up. The 1sr photo is rizoma ma011 with the rizoma clamp kit. You can clearly see its lower then stock. It is aldo a slightly further forward reach.. stock bars gave me massive neck pain in my spine. For reference im 5'6". Also ttried stock bars with 20mm cut off each end. Still neck pain. Stock bars have an odd sweep

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ulnar nerve entrapment??..tingling in 4th and 5th fingers..:idea:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Gopam, I know it's an old post but can you help me with an advice? Do you think I can fit the MA001 handlebar without a riser and in the stock clamps without removing the headlight fairing? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello Gopam, I know it's an old post but can you help me with an advice? Do you think I can fit the MA001 handlebar without a riser and in the stock clamps without removing the headlight fairing? Thanks in advance.
If I have the specs right....

Rizoma Ma011 bar is Height 35 mm (which is closest to the stock Monster 821 bar)
I added cnc risers 20 mm
So that totals height 55 mm with rizoma bar and riser
My configuration did not have enough room to keep the oem stripe headlight fairing.

Rizoma Ma001 is Height 45mm - which is 10mm less than my configuration.....but it is 10mm higher than stock configuration
maybe it is possible to keep the fairing? But I just don't know. You'd probably be the guinea pig to try that? If you do, let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
a dull ache but gets a little worse the longer I ride. It's not a huge pain but does get to be fairly uncomfortable as the wind starts to kick up harder on the freeway as I feel like I'm holding on to the bars a little tighter. 🎻 Just wondering if replacement handlebars may resolve this and which would be recommended. I'm not exactly sure what's causing it but I do n

Rizoma Ma011 bar is Height 35 mm (which is closest to the stock Monster 821 bar)
I added cnc risers 20 mm
My configuration did not have enough room to keep the oem stripe headlight fairing.

Rizoma Ma001 is Height 45mm - which is 10mm less than my configuration.....but it is 10mm higher than stock configuration
maybe it is possible to keep the fairing? But I just don't know. You'd probably be the guinea pig to try that? If you do, let us know.
I just got a 2015 M821 and previous owner had woodcraft triple clamp and slip ons.....worst mods ever imo. for a short rider (5'6") with short limbs this aggressive position is stupid painful. My old 2005 Ninja 636 was way comfy than this set up I am on. I am looking to replace this set up with Rizoma right now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
you can't fit the rizoma bars in the stock clamps.

Not sure anyone's answered that question.

Look at Renthal bars - you can drop these straight in. They have a few to choose from and being cheaper you can get a few different ones!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I added cnc risers 20 mm

Hi... I need a less sporty and a more comfortable position (handlebars nearer to me and a bit higher) on my ducati monster 821 2018. Which one of rizoma (011 or 001) is more suitable? Also what is the additional riser height I should go for?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've had to dremel a small bit out of my fairing to accommodate the brake reservoir. It's all a bit close but works well for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi... I need a less sporty and a more comfortable position (handlebars nearer to me and a bit higher) on my ducati monster 821 2018. Which one of rizoma (011 or 001) is more suitable? Also what is the additional riser height I should go for?
Check out the rizoma website it lists the height rise for comparison. The ma001 is higher (less sporty) then the ma011

·
Registered
8 Posts
I removed my woodcraft clip ons that came with the bike with Risoma MA011 now. Who wants my wood craft? I am selling

1 - 20 of 21 Posts