Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From CB 400-750's,Triumph Norton,Suzuki, Kawasaki,Harley's,Husqvarna and BMW's long ago and at present.
I've always desired a Ducati. Seems I'm zeroing in on a monster and the 821 in white looks fantastic though all my vehicles including my BMW are red it's going to be a last minute choice.
At 112 HP that is more than enough as I've never had any bike over 80hp.
I'm also considering a 1200 monster and even the 848 street fighter.
And did Ducati really have a diesel? It popped up on my search but it had to be reference to the green paint right?
Going to the dealer this Saturday. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Be prepared to ride the Monster home if you demo it! The Diesel was a special edition Monster 1100 Evo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's probably why they said when I come up they would let me ride some.
I think the 848 looks too radical though I do like it and both it and the 1200 monster might be way too much power. I had entertained the 796 monster(air cooled ) but the 821 can be had for less then a $1000 more and the service on the 821 is over double the time for those valves.
With all the choices it's going to be fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the 2014 1200 monster. Road it 70 miles home from Daytona. What a blast. Only paid $1500 more then the 821 so I went for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too went in with the intention of buying an 821. And yes, I'm also thrilled with the 1200 that I ended up taking home. You don't always need the extra horses, but it's nice to have them on tap! Be safe, and keep it upright...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Considering the 821 also.. A little concerned about the lack of accessories for this new model.. For instance, only windscreen I can find for the 821/1200 is a $300+ affair. When are companies like Zero Gravity going to begin producing screens for this model? Pure-Ducati.com has Hypermotard screens for $133, but nothing for the 821/1200. I dont mean to sound cheap, but $350 for a windscreen from a company called Pro Italia? I imagine its just a matter of time.. But how much time?! Anybody found one yet? Thanks.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just to pass the time you understand, I was playing around with one of those 821 configurators and came up with this, in white...

Ohlins adjustable steering damper $799.00
Carbon passenger seat cover $799.00
Pair of homologated carbon silencers $1849.00

on top of the listed $10995.00. But so far no small screen to make it complete.

Pjk

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just to pass the time you understand, I was playing around with one of those 821 configurators and came up with this, in white...

Ohlins adjustable steering damper $799.00
Carbon passenger seat cover $799.00
Pair of homologated carbon silencers $1849.00

on top of the listed $10995.00. But so far no small screen to make it complete.

Pjk
I put a deposit on the above yesterday. My dealer had just gotten in a white 821 which comes with the rear cowl and they are ordering the exhaust and steering damper which they are installing for free.

And FWIW when I asked about them putting Battery Tender leads on for me they said they are not doing this on the 821s and suggested the Ducati-specific unit.

Couple of weeks.

Pjk

·
Registered
995 Posts
It was delivered on Saturday...

The steering damper is backordered so I had them bring it in so I can try to put 600 miles on it for the first service and the installation. if you are thinking of one of these the Termis are a must. The sound is great without being too obnoxiously loud. And red may be traditionally Ducati but the white with red frame and wheels is a nice change. I'm still looking for a small windshield and have found one from Givi which fits the Monster 1200's so that might be a possibility.

I have to take some better photos.

Pjk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nice Monster Peter,

i am waiting for mine too here in Canada. I ordered a Dark model one. should have it in two weeks they say. I notice that your termi exhaust has a bigger heatshield than the one i ordered. i ordered a race termi slip on. Is yours a full system? i dont believe a full system is available here in Canada.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to Ducati...thinking about the 821

New to the forum! I currently ride a 06 Honda 599 but have an appointment to check out the Duc 821. I don't know much about Ducati bikes so any feedback would be appreciated. Are there any issues or problems common with Ducs that I should be aware of? How about maintenance? I am 6'1 anyone have any issues with the fit?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Considering the 821 also.. A little concerned about the lack of accessories for this new model.. For instance, only windscreen I can find for the 821/1200 is a $300+ affair. When are companies like Zero Gravity going to begin producing screens for this model? Pure-Ducati.com has Hypermotard screens for $133, but nothing for the 821/1200. I dont mean to sound cheap, but $350 for a windscreen from a company called Pro Italia? I imagine its just a matter of time.. But how much time?! Anybody found one yet? Thanks.
It takes time + money to create products for a new bike and some things are easier to make than others. With the new Monsters Ducati hasn't made it easy to create effective, attractive wind protection. If what you do is attach a screen to the existing instrument cluster area, that limits how large and effective it can be.

To me, the right way to do this is to relocate the headlamp/cluster assembly about 6" forward, fixed in space and monted to the frame. Then you can create a small fairing that looks good, deflects the windblast and addresses the cluster visibility in sunlight. Something like the attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get the 1200 s I am 5'6 and have no issues with too much power. Love it and it's awesome.

Also if your going to haul around a chubby girl the bigger bike is better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Feet too big for the 821

Well I went to go check out the new 821 dark and sadly there is no way I can ride the thing. I'm 6'1 and have 11.5 size feet and the right peg only has like 5 inches between it and the exhaust which forces my heel out like 10-15 degrees. I don't know how others deal with that issue outside of riding in the pegs in the arch of your foot? I always ride on the balls of my feet...poor design on ducati's part. they should have kept the 2up exhaust and single sided swing arm like the 796 which is now what I am going to start considering.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As an 821 owner, I can say that my heel does ride on the right side passenger peg mount when I am on my toes. However, this position does not keep me from putting pressure on the peg when needed. I have become used to riding on my toes over 45 years if riding. I can honestly say that even riding flat footed has never given me lack if mobility or control in street riding. Being on my toes works great when pushing corners and this bike allows it. Most motorcycles are extremely responsive to input, both with your feet and even more so at the handle bars. Being on you toes does increase clearance in hard cornering. If you are grinding pegs on this bike you won't be bothered by the peg bracket. Arm input is far more important. As a matter of comfort I can see it bothering large footed people but I never really thought of comfort in hard cornering, just getting my foot out if the way. Peg thing shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As an 821 owner, I can say that my heel does ride on the right side passenger peg mount when I am on my toes. However, this position does not keep me from putting pressure on the peg when needed. I have become used to riding on my toes over 45 years if riding. I can honestly say that even riding flat footed has never given me lack if mobility or control in street riding. Being on my toes works great when pushing corners and this bike allows it. Most motorcycles are extremely responsive to input, both with your feet and even more so at the handle bars. Being on you toes does increase clearance in hard cornering. If you are grinding pegs on this bike you won't be bothered by the peg bracket. Arm input is far more important. As a matter of comfort I can see it bothering large footed people but I never really thought of comfort in hard cornering, just getting my foot out if the way. Peg thing shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for the insight brooksie...it's nice to hear what others feel about the peg issue. Maybe when I test ride it in spring it won't be as bad as it felt just sitting on it in the showroom.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i sat on the 821 at the toronto motorcycle show yesterday in my "winter" boots (steve maddens) and did not really feel the exhaust or peg at all. thought it'd be an issue and would love to try again and get some pictures of that area that i forgot to get.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the insight brooksie...it's nice to hear what others feel about the peg issue. Maybe when I test ride it in spring it won't be as bad as it felt just sitting on it in the showroom.
It is a major goof by Ducati on what they consider a quasi-entry bike. I got to ride it a little a couple of weeks ago (snow/ice?"salt" have kept me indoors) and I have been riding long enough to adapt. A newer rider may not be able to learn proper on you toes riding, which is not good. I think as this bike gains sales momentum going into good weather, there will be very simple fixes available to make it more toe worthy. I think less than an inch of extra peg (with a good grippy peg) will cure it or a simple offset bracket. There seems to be tons of peg clearance to work with, unless your Troy Bayliss or somebody...:naughty: Not me! I rarely use all the lean angle on the street where I live. Roads don't lend themselves to knee down blind corners!
Sitting on the bike it is VERY strange.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts