Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've wanted a Ducati for over 25 years since I fell in love with the 916 back in the 90's. I've had plenty of other bikes, GSX-R1100's, CBR1000RR, etc but never a Ducati. I'm considering buying a black 2008 1098S w/ 13k miles. I plan on looking at it this weekend. Anything with this model that I should look out for? Anything I should check specifically when I'm looking at it. Just for reference, I'm mechanically inclined and work on all my own bikes. Hoping to become a member of the Ducati family but I'm new and could use guidance. Thanks in advance!!

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I've wanted a Ducati for over 25 years since I fell in love with the 916 back in the 90's. I've had plenty of other bikes, GSX-R1100's, CBR1000RR, etc but never a Ducati. I'm considering buying a black 2008 1098S w/ 13k miles. I plan on looking at it this weekend. Anything with this model that I should look out for? Anything I should check specifically when I'm looking at it. Just for reference, I'm mechanically inclined and work on all my own bikes. Hoping to become a member of the Ducati family but I'm new and could use guidance. Thanks in advance!!
I have the 08 1098s in black with red frame. Got it in 2014 with aprx.5k miles on it.
I wouldn't say there is anything specifically that you should check for, other than the normal stuff, like oil on the engine covers, obvious damage to frame or evidence of abuse or a crash. The valve adjustment checks at every 7500kms can make maintenance costly compared to spring valve, just to keep in mind.
Since 2014, I've put 18.5k miles on it. Last Spring I had to replace a valve cover gasket, didn't cost much. Only other issue that I have ever had was the voltage regulator. It crapped out on me in 2021, causing issues with head light & turn signals. Easy fix, and the voltage regulator was actually surprisingly inexpensive.
Best of luck. I love the bike and have had no regrets.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the 08 1098s in black with red frame. Got it in 2014 with aprx.5k miles on it.
I wouldn't say there is anything specifically that you should check for, other than the normal stuff, like oil on the engine covers, obvious damage to frame or evidence of abuse or a crash. The valve adjustment checks at every 7500kms can make maintenance costly compared to spring valve, just to keep in mind.
Since 2014, I've put 18.5k miles on it. Last Spring I had to replace a valve cover gasket, didn't cost much. Only other issue that I have ever had was the voltage regulator. It crapped out on me in 2021, causing issues with head light & turn signals. Easy fix, and the voltage regulator was actually surprisingly inexpensive.
Correction - valve clearance is 7500 miles, or 12000kms. My original response said 7500kms.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed info. I'm aware of the maintenance and costs. I plan to go through everything if I do purchase it. Seems like the voltage regulator is common to go on these bikes. I will keep an eye out for that. Really appreciate the response. Sounds like a reliable machine as long as maintenance is done.

· Registered
30 Posts
As an engineer/mechanic I do all my own work as well. I found the valve adjustment procedure on my 2008 S4RS Tricolore Monster to be fascinating. Very rewarding to save all that money at the dealer and to know that all the work was done right. Very satisfying to dig into a Desmo motor compared to the spring valves I'm used to.

· Registered
71 Posts
I'm embarking on an 1198s build from parts from the ground up. I've done the homework and yeah generally you should be fine if the bike was maintained and not abused. Rec/reg issues are common and oil wicking to the connector. Be sure to upgrade the starter and ground lines. A rather nasty but less frequent issue is the failure of the main crank bearing, possibly from an inferior supplier during assembly.

You already know to check everything thoroughly before purchase - a guy on the FB group got pretty burned recently - Ducati 848/1098/1198 Owners Group | Facebook

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm embarking on an 1198s build from parts from the ground up. I've done the homework and yeah generally you should be fine if the bike was maintained and not abused. Rec/reg issues are common and oil wicking to the connector. Be sure to upgrade the starter and ground lines. A rather nasty but less frequent issue is the failure of the main crank bearing, possibly from an inferior supplier during assembly.

You already know to check everything thoroughly before purchase - a guy on the FB group got pretty burned recently - Ducati 848/1098/1198 Owners Group | Facebook
Thanks! I went a looked at the bike. When I got there it was already warmed up (this was at 8am). I asked why and finally had to drag it out of him it is hard starting cold. Not a deal breaker and I figured I could sort that out but set off a red flag. He said it was perfect except for a couple scuffs on the tail. When I got there one of the headlights was fogged with condensation completely and the dash was cracked. He said he "forgot". Again more red flags. Then I noticed a small oil leak between the oil pan and case, nothing major. Took it for a ride and it kept going into neutral between 5th and 6th gear. Took it back and he said it never did that for him. I took it out again and brought it back in between 5th and 6th with the bike running and clutch out. He was shocked. Too many red flags so I decided to pass. Did some research and looks like many people have a "false neutral" between 5th and 6th on the 1098. So I may have been wrong there but I'm new to Ducati but not bikes. Never had another motorcycle do that in any gear ever. Ridden a lot too, sport bikes, Harley's, dirt bikes etc. Again if it's a known issue I could deal with it. Just caught me off guard. And all the other issues with this bike and the guy not being straight with me I left. Drove 6 hours total and had full intentions of picking it up. I'm bummed. Trying to find a clean 1098S in black but would consider red if it was the right price. I appreciate all the responses here. I'll keep looking.

· Registered
147 Posts
When I got there it was already warmed up (this was at 8am). I asked why and finally had to drag it out of him it is hard starting cold. Not a deal breaker and I figured I could sort that out but set off a red flag.
A warm engine is a giveaway to guides leaking. I'm always at the rear of the bike/car and ask the owner to start [a cold] engine or I'll come back tomorrow if the engine is cold.

I walk from crashed, dropped bikes. Once tossed, it's priced to a parts bike. No longer priced at a book type value. Dealer level is factored in as overhead to make it profitable. Trade in is more where you start. But fog, dash damage, leaks, all say not at some book value.

Only way to get that now is call and lowball. But there is always one in better shape for those who wait.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A warm engine is a giveaway to guides leaking. I'm always at the rear of the bike/car and ask the owner to start [a cold] engine or I'll come back tomorrow if the engine is cold.

I walk from crashed, dropped bikes. Once tossed, it's priced to a parts bike. No longer priced at a book type value. Dealer level is factored in as overhead to make it profitable. Trade in is more where you start. But fog, dash damage, leaks, all say not at some book value.

Only way to get that now is call and lowball. But there is always one in better shape for those who wait.
Wise words! I tried to low ball but he wouldn't take it. What guides are you referring to that leak?

· Registered
147 Posts
That was more reading kbb's [kelly bluebook] short abstract, "In Good Condition with typical mileage...When purchasing from a dealer." I walk into a lot of different brand dealers to see the level of used bikes. They are low miler pristine types.

My example was flipping a bike just last year. Dealer $4,600. Trade in $3,160. It was this side of pristine, all dusty with black widow webbing, and 54 miles on the speedo. Sat for 12 years. Set it at 4,500, settled at 4K. I'm not dealer level, just factored that would be the price for me to settle 4.

· Registered
30 Posts
Be patient there’s lots of them out there, an 1198sp just went for $10700on Iconic-way too cheap IMO, as well as a 1098s for $7918. What’s you budget maybe someone here will sell. I’ll be selling my 1198sp sometime this year but it won’t be for $10,700 that’s for sure. Best of luck.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be patient there’s lots of them out there, an 1198sp just went for $10700on Iconic-way too cheap IMO, as well as a 1098s for $7918. What’s you budget maybe someone here will sell. I’ll be selling my 1198sp sometime this year but it won’t be for $10,700 that’s for sure. Best of luck.
Yeah I'm not in a hurry. I'll find one at a fair price. Looking to stay under $10k. Still trying to decide if I want red or black though. Both are so beautiful. Red just classic Ducati and the black with red frame is just so aggressive looking. Probably will just come down to whichever I find that is clean and a good deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts