Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard great things about the feedback you get from Continental Tires on a podcast. Is this true

Why does my dealer insist on Pirelli if that is the case?

What is so special about Continental Tires that create such loyalty?

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Conti suck. I've used them over the years just to remind myself why I tend NOT to buy them. I get a different bike and think "hey let's see how Conti work on this new bike"?? Shortly after I realize that it's the same old same old.

I've put em all on my Duc in the 92,000K I've put on her and rank them as such.......

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT
Pirelli Rosso Corsa
Dunlop Q3
Bridgestone BT016
Metzler M5
Conti SportAttack
Avon 3D Supersport

Yeah......I know....I even tried Avon. I hadn't used Avon since 1998 so thought I'd see how they'd improved in 10yrs but.....well........they hadn't really. I stick with the Michelin now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have to agree.......just from what I've learned from people I respect. The Pilot Power right at the top. With the Rosso Corsa next in line. These guys on the podcast, "The Pace", were saying how much they hated Dunlop and loved Contis.......they are also in love with SV-650s, so what does that tell you? My take on "Strom" is, save up your hard earned money and buy a decent bike as soon as you can get rid of that silly Suzuki......but that's just me......what the hell does "Strom" stand for anyway?

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Strom is the moniker for the Suzuki DL 650 and 1000 V-Strom. It's the SV engine in an adventure chassis. Ugly as sin!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Idiot bike IMO.......I learned from Google that "Strom" is German for Stream....as in flowing water. Ok, so now they copy Ducati and name their bike with a German word....freaking Japanese sillyness.

The only Japanese bikes I respect (and have owned) are liter bike Ninjas, as in ZX-10R I had an '04 Orange ZX-10R and loved it. Everything else Kawi makes does not interest me. Same goes for all the rest of the crap the Japanese put out. The cutting edge performance bikes are great but all their low level shit just sucks.

Anyone raving about SV-650s has to be in their own world. Yeah, lets get excited about mopeds too while we're at it. How about an electric skateboard?

I'm glad to have this forum for real answers and will listen to the podcast just for fun.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Frank, as far as a streetbike goes, an SV650 does not excite me at all....

The SV650 is one of THE MOST popular bikes at most racetracks...Its the best bike for the Lightweight class. The Kawi Ninja 650 is another bike in that class...

Neither excite me..but I have gained a bit of respect/interest in the SV650 over the last few race seasons, watching them kick ass...They can be blisteringly fast and handel incredible too...

My 848 racebike is in the Middleweight class (600cc inline 4's and Twin cyl up to 855cc) so I dont have to deal with the SV650's while racing, but there are a SHIT TON of them at the track. The SV is cheap and the aftermarket support for parts and upgrades is amazingly huge.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tire Maddness

Tire choosing is madding,there made for every kind of bike and bike job.Street,Touring etc etc.I say use what spec. you need and stay w/ the name brands that have proven and tested among m/c racing.Developments made on any Bridgestone,Michelin tires are imo the only ones i put on.Pirelli for my bike do not work,i think there chit but again this is just another tire thread...:)

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
Been running Michelin since I was racing, started out using hi sports tx 11 & 13 club racing. Have used them since. My 848 came with Pirelli they were ok no complaints. Time came for new tires and was interested in the Dunlop Q3 since they had a rebate that made a set cost $190 I tried them, really like them. Probably go with the top line Michelin street tire next time, unless another Dunlop rebate is available. Still Q3 is a great tire.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have Conti Motions on my 848 right now. They are absolutely, 150% pieces of rock hard shit. I cannot tell you how excited I will be when I have an extra 300 to drop on some 2ct's. The profile is crap, the compound is crap, the feedback is crap. Please do not waste you money on these tires. I was so angry about these when I got my bike.

Shit! Shit! Shit!

(End of rant)

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
S'aight Steve. I feel your pain. Chalk it up to contrast. The contrast between your bike now and after when the Michelin's are on will give you absolute satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Good feeling, confidence inspiring tires are worth their weight in gold....I've always been a believer in high end, expensive tires.....auto or moto...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.