Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you have seen, the testastretta evo motor transplanted into a 748/916/996/998 is very realistic.

I've been developing this airbox for almost a year now...
I am now having a mold made to reproduce it. If anyone is interested in getting in on the first batch, PM me and I'll keep you updated!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
im deff verry interest the quality look great,this is the only part stops me from putting the 1198 motor on my 748 chassy, but if you are going to mass produce at a decent price im deff start the swap

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have the kind of capital to get carbon ones made, and i mean made right. I'm just a mechanic. For now just fiberglass ones are being made.

On mine i might cut the side panels and attach carbon panels with dzus fasteners like the 3 piece corse boxes.

One of the reasons I'm doing this is so the average joe can pull off this swap without breaking the bank. Carbon ones would be damn nice though!

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
A

I've been developing this airbox for almost a year now...
I am now having a mold made to reproduce it. If anyone is interested in getting in on the first batch, PM me and I'll keep you updated!!
Have you fitted that to the bike for a test fit? Bolt hole wise?
Are you going to do the brass insert thing with those 6 main bolts?
How similar would that to be to the Kyalami airbox?

Make sure you get a decent flange on the mould.

Love ya work by the way. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Clearly this is never going to be a high-volume piece. I suspect maybe two dozen. And since this part isn't going to be injection molded or anything, you could do the carbon fiber cloth almost identically as you would fiberglass. Sure, this method isn't going to result in something at the extreme end of the strength:weight meter, but it will absolutely be stronger and stiffer than glass or plastic. This is important because the airbox is used to stiffen the frame on these bikes. It's even more critical when you consider the 40 additional horses uncoiling through the chassis.

I definitely think you are on the right track with a 3-piece design. Not only do they look cooler with the detachable panels, but it would actually simplify your mold (and reduce your materials cost as well). The sides are readily available through other sources, so you wouldn't even have to tool up for those.

Reconsider. Maybe when the groundwork has been laid you can then take deposits (or even full, advance payments) to cover the more expensive materials.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes.

In reality it would probably be an extra $50 more for the materials for carbon.
For materials maybe. That is if it was just done wet lay up like fiberglass.

To get it done right using pre preg and autoclaving is astronomical.

P.S. I can't tell you the number of times it's been test fit over the last year!

·
Registered
640 Posts
For materials maybe. That is if it was just done wet lay up like fiberglass.

To get it done right using pre preg and autoclaving is astronomical.

P.S. I can't tell you the number of times it's been test fit over the last year!
A talented vacuum bagger can make a very nice part as well. Not as nice as pre-preg and autoclave, but a beautiful and strong part is definitely possible and the materials needed are minimal assuming the equipment already exists.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A talented vacuum bagger can make a very nice part as well. Not as nice as pre-preg and autoclave, but a beautiful and strong part is definitely possible and the materials needed are minimal assuming the equipment already exists.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Pre-preg isn't feasible, but you can still get a lot of benefit just from the simpler vacuum bagging and the mold would be the same. And as I said, it would be even easier without the side panels.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for the link, feel an idea developing...;)

Couple of quick questions if I may,

Do you keep the donor throttle bodies?

I see the donor ecu is retained. Is the fueling taken care of with a power commander or has some clever soul produced a map/eprom?

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts