Registered
8,735 Posts
Take it out and test it then.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take it out and test it then.
Leaks at idle, I have the fairings off, belt cover off, battery box removed bike on the stand running and I can't find the source. If the tank actually has a leak fine I'll replace but I wanted to know if anyone else has had a tank fail? I guess it's possible its not the tank but for the life of me I can't find it! It's a slow drip forming at the tank near as I can see.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I meant take the tank out and test it for leaks.

Reactions: Tchase

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I meant take the tank out and test it for leaks.

I was really trying to avoid that, regardless I'm going to have to pull the tank and at the very least lift the airbox to get a good view and confirm the source.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
You got plenty of experience with that now with all your engine swaps :D

Reactions: cbr6

·
Registered
555 Posts
The expansion tank on the 748 through 998 had a finite number of expansion cycles in them. Im positive that every last one of those fuckers leaked. If you have one that doesn't leak, just be patient. It will. I took to buying them in bulk, so i would always have a replacement. If the 848 has that same bullshit i wouldn't be surprised... pissed, but not surprised

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The expansion tank on the 748 through 998 had a finite number of expansion cycles in them. Im positive that every last one of those fuckers leaked. If you have one that doesn't leak, just be patient. It will. I took to buying them in bulk, so i would always have a replacement. If the 848 has that same bullshit i wouldn't be surprised... pissed, but not surprised

I'm not so sure it's the tank, I tried looking again last night it looks like a trace trail from top to bottom but I just can't get a good look. It's got to be a hose connection but I think I'm going to have to pull more off. Of course it only leaks when running so this is going to be tricky. I'll let you guys know thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
It only leaks when the engine runs?? Then I wouldn't think it's the expansion tank. I don't believe those really see any pressure, all they do is hold excess coolant. The liquid level may change around when the engine's on, but I don't think they see any pressure. I think you may just need to start removing things in order to really trace it.

Reactions: Tchase

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It only leaks when the engine runs?? Then I wouldn't think it's the expansion tank. I don't believe those really see any pressure, all they do is hold excess coolant. The liquid level may change around when the engine's on, but I don't think they see any pressure. I think you may just need to start removing things in order to really trace it.

I thought maybe because in the link I posted it talks about the tank heating up and leaking then cooling off and not

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Did it leak down hitting the expansion tank then dripping off the bottom?

I thought it was a hose connection and rechecked each one twice. It did appear on the bottom of the expansion tank. I thought that I forgot to empty the water and water wetter before we got freezing temps and that the tank was cracked. I was cold working in the garage and finally decided to bring it to the shop. They found the leak!

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Use some leak detection spray (baby power aerosol spray works too). You can wash it of easily once you found the problem. Run the bike at low speeds with the fairings off so you can check it every mile or so. Don't guess; Diagnose.

With the nature of this leak not sure this method is going to work. I've narrowed it down but I'm still a bit confused.

So I didn't get a lot of time today but there was good sunlight so I rolled it out on the stand tightened all the hoses again. I also removed about 2 cups worth of coolant it was getting way over the max line almost full.

A little more came out maybe one drop then it dried up. I'll run it up to temp again tomorrow. Maybe I had too much coolant in and a combination of a lose connection.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Did you add coolant recently? Last time I changed my coolant (about a year ago almost), I put in a bit too much and after I ran the bike to warm it up, I noticed it leaked quite a bit on the ground. At the time I didn't know where it came from, so I ran it again to see if I could figure it out and it leaked a little bit again and then stopped. After that it never leaked again. Still don't know exactly where it came from, but it was the result of having too much coolant in....weird.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you add coolant recently? Last time I changed my coolant (about a year ago almost), I put in a bit too much and after I ran the bike to warm it up, I noticed it leaked quite a bit on the ground. At the time I didn't know where it came from, so I ran it again to see if I could figure it out and it leaked a little bit again and then stopped. After that it never leaked again. Still don't know exactly where it came from, but it was the result of having too much coolant in....weird.

It's a new engine so yep I topped off, you would think it would come out of the overflow tube not some mysterious place! But maybe that's the way Ducati wants it 😐

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hell, just buy a nice little panigalefuckin R and get on with your life.. Just explain to the wifey that it was "necessary". And, don't worry, I'll swing by and pick up that troublesome old 848 you dont need any more

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hell, just buy a nice little panigalefuckin R and get on with your life.. Just explain to the wifey that it was "necessary". And, don't worry, I'll swing by and pick up that troublesome old 848 you dont need any more
I may get other bikes but I will never let the 848 go. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.