Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Ducati Forum:
I am trying to determine the legitimacy of a VIN I was given online for a 1978 Ducati for sale in Golden, CO. The VIN is 854652... does this VIN match the year and model for this bike? Many thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
All motor vehicles from manufacturers of more than 500 vehicles annually, built after 1980 and imported into the US, are required to have a 17-character VIN that encodes specific information. This is to help reduce the number, and assist in the recovery of stolen vehicles.

Consequently, a 1978 Ducati doesn't have a VIN. In order to determine the original build information, you can email requests to Ducati regarding their serialized number at:

http://www.ducati.com/company/contact_us/contact_form/index.do

You should hear from a representative within a few days.

Note however that when the bike was originally sold, Ducati supplied documentation about year and model number, and that information was recorded in the bike's Title document — so the Title supplies the information you are asking for. Ask for a copy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks, Shazaam! The VIN I was given appears on the photocopy of title I was emailed to "peruse" but I'm curious to know if such a number is correct for the year and model of bike. I will contact the good folks at Ducati via the link you provided. My thanks again for your help :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts